Jet skis

Are you a person in Taiwan with a Jet ski?

I saw some in Kenting last week and they looked sick. After a bit of internet research I see you can get them on yahoo for about $50,000. It looks like the shit, especially the stand up one person type.

Have you or any of your mates got one? Where do you ride etc? Is there a “scene” or jet ski fraternity in Taiwan?

Do they have the same registration red tape that they have for bikes or can watercraft pretty much do what they want?

Add on the cost of a big car and a trailer to pull the thing around and its a lot more than 50k. Or are you planning to just leave it on the beach at Kending and hope nobody fucks with it?

They are sick. Leave it at the beach. I’d love to fuck with it. :wink:

A ford escape can carry a trailer with up to two jet skis if the total weight is under 3000 pounds along with its trailer.

I dont know how they transport those things around taiwan? blue truck maybe.

Jet ski is fun for bout an hour, then thats it. Sailing a sunfish is fun all afternoon.

I’m sure you could pick up a trailer for under ten grand and get a tow ball welded on the family car for next to nothing, that’s not a big problem. I think it would get boring after a short time if you went out by yourself, but a few blokes on those would be a funny as hell all year.

So are there any?

You could just go to Bitan and use one of those pedal powered ones they’ve got for hire there, I hear that Taiwanese chicks dig that.

Jet skis are a huge pain in the ass though. They need to be cleaned thoroughly every time you use them, especially if they are used in the ocean. If they sit for a while they never run right. My best friend growing up had jet skis and Wave Runners. The Wave Runners were more reliable, but not as fun. They always needed work. Not to put a dark spot on your idea, just be prepared for the worse. They are even more of a pain in the ass then two-strokes IMO.

I inquired about this awhile back and was told you need a license, I even had a website of a place you could go for the training and certification.

I loved riding jet skis, but I found out that they pump out more polloution into the ocean than a car does into the air…in one year in an hour. Huh? Fuck my English sucks.

One year of driving a car, makes the same amount of pollution as one hour of riding a jetski.

And I like dolphins too much to subject them to that. :blush:

Fuck me! The local can’t even drive a car or scooter properly. Imagine the mayhem with jet skis! :astonished:

There is no way a jet ski makes more pollution in an hour than a car does in a year. Most of them are 4 strokes and even the two strokes are under 800cc. Even if it were true which I find impossible to believe, there are only about fifty jet skis in Taiwan compared to fifteen million cars. “You do the math”, as you Americans might say.

Anyway my idea has been well and truly pissed on by everyone. I’d still love to get one, I don’t care about the (negligible) pollution or the cost of a trailer, but I boredom would soon set in if I was the only one doing it.

Thanks for the advice champs!

Eeeewww, check this out: forcibly enemaed death in a jet ski accident.
resources.metapress.com/pdf-prev … ze=largest

And another jetski enema, but this one survived (though she’ll use a catheter for life)
calapp.blogspot.com/2006/05/ford … pp_22.html

If you do get one, be sure to wear good padding in your pants. :wink:

I hired one out at PengHu a few years ago, the sit on type, not stand up type, and they translated it into English as 'Water Motorbike". It was heaps of fun.

The California Air Resources Board has reported that a two-hour ride on a 100-horsepower jet ski emits the same amount of pollution as driving 139,000 miles in a 1998 passenger car.

And another link: wral.com/news/local/story/127853/

That article is over ten years old and it uses “pollution” generally, I think it’s bollocks to be honest.

I remember as part of my university indoctrination, they told us that emissions come under four categories - CO2, NOx, HCs and particulate. I’m not going to argue that 2 strokes are clean but I think only the hydrocarbon emissions are miles too high. How much fuel is a jet ski going to use in an hour of use? Maybe a tank full, ten litres say. In my opinion if you poured 10 litres of fuel and 2 stroke into a lake, it would contain less hydrocarbons than are emitted by a “normal family car” in 139,000 miles of use.

I can only presume that they are referring to noise pollution!

I agree with the underlying point that 2 stroke jet skis are dirty and have already said that I don’t think there are enough of them to make any difference to the grand scheme of things.

I just wanted to know if they are as fun as they look!

How much do they cost to rent nowadays. Back in 99 they were bout 800 nt an hour? somethiung lke that.

Used to worry bout running into other jetskis and also into people. But this falling off and having water injected into your asshole and ruining your insides is a new worry for me. Wow. Something to remember, not to gun the engine while you are falling off.

I used to rent a yamaha and also a seadoo over in fulung a few times. I feel an hour is all you need, it gets tiring. Its fantastic fun for bout an hour.

I would sail those sunfishes for six hours or more tho. Thats leisurely, no worries about your asshole and zero pollution.

More people should get into that instead.

[quote=“Mordeth”]The California Air Resources Board has reported that a two-hour ride on a 100-horsepower jet ski emits the same amount of pollution as driving 139,000 miles in a 1998 passenger car.

And another link: wral.com/news/local/story/127853/[/quote]

A local bullshit ‘news’ article from 1998, real scientific like. Post original sources from a scientific journal or shut up.

[quote=“jaame”]I’m sure you could pick up a trailer for under ten grand and get a tow ball welded on the family car for next to nothing, that’s not a big problem. I think it would get boring after a short time if you went out by yourself, but a few blokes on those would be a funny as hell all year.

So are there any?[/quote]

I think hitch towing (or any kind of towing for that matter) is illegal on Taiwan’s roads except for those big old container trucks and specialized tow trucks. If you want to move motorcycles or jetskis around, you’re going to need a big pickup or a small flatbed truck to do it. Also, you can’t “weld” a towball to a famly car’s plastic bumper. You need a hitch kit to do it or find a mechanic who has the expertise to build one for you. Either way it ain’t going to cost “next to nothing”.

[quote=“Anubis”]Fuck me! The local can’t even drive a car or scooter properly. Imagine the mayhem with jet skis! :astonished:[/quote]Been there, done that. A few years ago I rented one in Kenting. After about 20 minutes, I stopped far away from the crowd, and at least a kilometer away from the shore. I jumped off the seadoo to pee in the ocean. A minute later, as I climbed back onto the seadoo, another seadoo was heading my way. It was operated by a man and his wife who had also rented a seadoo. Once I was sitting on my seadoo, this other seadoo kept approaching me and I was becoming worried. It looked as if the other rider was looking for the breaks!? In reality, they needed to turn the handlebars and open the throttle(these things don’t turn unless you open the throttle, and they don’t have breaks). But they were inexperienced, obviously. They hit me head on and proceeded to ride up onto the front of my seedoo until they actually went air born and landed on my foot! They broke my big toe, and left me with a window of about 3 minutes to make it back to the shore because my seadoo was sinking! The front end was completely bashed. After a short dispute (the other riders were blaming me for stopping in the middle of the fucking ocean!), I agreed to pay my medical bills if they agreed to reimburse me the rental fee. :s

Tommy’s right. Sailing is more fun…

marboulette

How about less blather and more easily verifiable facts…

[quote=“wikipedia”]Before 1990, personal watercraft emissions were unregulated in the United States. Many were powered by two-stroke cycle engines, which are smaller and lighter than four-stroke cycle engines but much more polluting…

The 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act allowed the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency to begin regulating personal watercraftTo meet these regulations…

…manufacturers have adopted a variety of improvements, including increased use of four-stroke engines, the use of direct injection for two-strokes and the use of catalytic converters and other pollution-curbing measures that overall have reduced emissions by approximately 75% compared to pre-regulation models.

…industry groups such as the Personal Watercraft Industry Association point out that environmental groups continue to cite pollution levels of pre-regulation watercraft and ignore the improvements made to newer models; and furthermore, that personal watercraft are unfairly singled out when they are no more polluting than other powered boats.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_w … #Emissions
[/quote]

and for anyone who wants more contemporary studies relating to jetski emissions:
http://www.pwia.org/studies/

Bottom line seems to be modern jetskis are no worse emissions wise than a motorcycle of equivalent capacity… except that their emissions pollute lakes, beaches and shallow coastal waters, which is nastier than polluting some decrepit old overpass in ZhangHua for example…