JFK's 19 year old intern (photo)

The 61 year old woman who once served as JFK’s summer “intern” two summers in a row has today revealed her name and said the book about their summer flings is true. She works in a church in Manhattan now. She was 19 at the time. Story in all papers soon and Internet now.

Question: was this a proper thing for Miss Beardsley to do? I mean banging a president twice her age, and a married one at that?

Two: Does anyone or can anyone find any photos of Miss B when she was 19? She is so camera shy now that she won’t even allow her current face, still beautiful the reporters say, to be photographed. LINKS?

Good on ya, Johnny boy, we hardly knew ye!

HEADLINE: JFK Intern Admits All
NEWS REPORT QUOTE: John F. Kennedy’s intern admitted to the NY Daily News yesterday: “I am the Mimi.” Mimi Beardsley. Marion (Mimi) Fahnestock, now 60, called it a huge weight off her shoulders to finally reveal her affair with the dashing young President four decades ago. “The gift for me is that this allowed me to tell my two married daughters a secret that I’ve been holding for 41 years,” she said. “It’s a huge relief.”

cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/05/ … index.html

PHOTO OF CURRENT MIMI ABOVE

and the $$$ quote: "A friend of Fahnestock, interviewed by the media outside her apartment, said she was “surprised” to learn of the romance, "but it’s kind of a ‘so what.’ " “She is the least likely person I would have expected to have had a romance, but I think probably Jack Kennedy would have gone to bed with anybody,” said Joan “Bitsy” Tatnall.

Excuse me…was it a proper thing in the 1960s (read: age of innocence and respect for authority figures) for a 19 year old (read: still a child, practically, in those days) to sleep with the President of the United States?

Do you really think a child like that would have had the power to exercise much judgement when the President told her, “Hey, you. Over here”?

This is a good example of a BIG discrepancy in power and position, not to mention traditional gender roles. In this kind of situation, it is the responsibility of the person in the powerful position to make sure that inappropriate things do not happen. Anyway, personally I don’t subscribe to the (often male) statement that “Oh, I just couldn’t help myself.” Most people go into the office fully dressed in the morning. If they end up less than fully dressed sometime during the day, very likely they, or someone else, had a go at the zippers and buttons.

ironlady, good point re the time warp.

But then again, this was no girl, she was a woman, 19 years old and fully willing to service her President. He was what, 45? A mere 25 year age difference, he the drug-addicted sex maniac and she, the Miss Porter’s School wide-eyed siren. I wager she got as much as he got, maybe even more. She has lifelong memories, even her grandkids are proud of her now, she’s the media darling of the moment, and poor Jack is 6 feet under.

She sacrificed for her country, and I hardly think it was a sacrifice. Imagine how thrilling it must have been for her to be banged by the Commander in Chief! If she was 17, yeh, not good. But 19, this young lady knew exactly what she was doing. Look, she went back for more a second summer! It was a glorious time.

I don’t think it is sexist to state the truth. Men are men, women are women, hormones are hormones, flesh is flesh. Omni, what thinkest thou?

JFK and the Kennedy family have always made me ill. Considering the Kennedy family penchant for rape and murder, I’d say the intern was lucky. :x

My only question -

As the original purchaser of those presidential Cuban Cigars… Could it be, is it possible, that i saw action twice and that we now have a very historical cigar floating around the white house?

Chou

[quote=“ironlady”]Excuse me…was it a proper thing in the 1960s (read: age of innocence and respect for authority figures) for a 19 year old (read: still a child, practically, in those days) to sleep with the President of the United States?

Do you really think a child like that would have had the power to exercise much judgement when the President told her, “Hey, you. Over here”?

This is a good example of a BIG discrepancy in power and position, not to mention traditional gender roles. In this kind of situation, it is the responsibility of the person in the powerful position to make sure that inappropriate things do not happen. Anyway, personally I don’t subscribe to the (often male) statement that “Oh, I just couldn’t help myself.” Most people go into the office fully dressed in the morning. If they end up less than fully dressed sometime during the day, very likely they, or someone else, had a go at the zippers and buttons.[/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

Having already mentioned this article in another thread, I thougt I’d post the piece now as it is relevant to your discussion. It is relevant, because no matter who we are or what positions we hold, we are still driven by our desires. Reason has yet to prevail. If Polly Toynbee, a columnist for The Guardian, the UK’s most feminist broadsheet, can see that, then why can’t we stop to think for a moment before jumping on our moral high-horses.

Or maybe I’ve got it wrong and her obvious distaste for republicans overcame her feminine sensibilities.

Anyway, this is her 1998 take on the Clinton-Lewinski saga.

Monica was not a crime

By Polly Toynbee
Saturday September 12, 1998

Step back for a moment from the drama of Clinton’s free-fall. Forget the legal questions about his perjury. Forget the politics, the frantic calculations by Democrats of how to save their bacon or the Republicans’ eye on the main chance. Try to obliterate his daily more repulsive apologies. Stop asking what foolish Clinton could have done months ago to stop all this. Consider instead how history will judge these events.
In 1998, a US president was destroyed by having an affair or serial affairs, crushed by adultery. Extraordinary! It was wise old Arthur Schlesinger, Kennedy aide, who commented wryly yesterday that if only Clinton could galvanise the adulterers’ vote, he’d be in clover. Adultery is duplicitous. It is betrayal and cheating. But it is also commonplace and widespread, always was, always will be. It is not a crime, but a private matter between those involved. It is private even when it happens on the Oval Office desk, with or without cigars, whether he inhaled or not. Whatever salacious delights are paraded before our fascinated gaze on the Internet, it is none of our business.

Because sex is private, we have no right to ask other people to tell us what they get up to. If we do ask, expect to be lied to. Ask any social researcher about the reliability of sexual data, and they laugh. No one is obliged to tell the truth about things that should not be asked. Not even presidents.

Clinton should, of course, have said that straight out to the American people the first time he was asked - “None of your business” - and all the polls show he would have won resounding support. For months the moralistic, religiose, born-again (but like their TV preachers also adulterous and divorced) US public said so themselves. But failing to assert his right to privacy, followed by cowardice and absurd verbal circumlocution, Clinton fumbled and fell.

We can blame him, over and over again. How could he risk all for sex? How unappealing to use his penis as his sceptre of office. But power is an aphrodisiac - would Lewinsky have looked twice at his Slick Willie had he been some lowly White House paper-pusher? It happens everywhere, from the office floor of the Bank of England to every kind of office hierarchy. Much sex is nastily tainted with power inequality, but we can hardly frame a law against that. As for the damning charge by Democrat Senator Joe Lieberman that Clinton has “embarrassed all Americans”, that’s not all Clinton’s fault. Most sex if exposed in public is absurdly embarrassing. Who would escape mockery? That’s why it’s private.

The man who “embarrassed all Americans” was Kenneth Starr, the tapeworm who has been eating his way through the entrails of this largely uncorrupt presidency for the last four years. Starr’s role in history will be reminiscent of Senator Joe McCarthy’s. Failing to find sufficient fodder in Whitewater or anywhere else, this Republican foe happened fortuitously upon sex. With the aid of Paula Jones, entirely financed and promoted by Clinton’s enemies, he finally found a vital organ to destroy. The office of presidential investigator has as much proper place in the body politic as a lethal parasite. Which of us could survive such probing without exposure of something or other?

It’s not the sex, it’s the lies, people are saying. Somewhat hypocritically they are seeking a more solid rationality for their gut distaste at these lurid revelations. But sex and lies are always intertwined. Some say all this unbridled, irresponsible lust proves Clinton unfit to rule the world. The trouble is, the way presidents arrive in the Oval Office through the gruelling election process almost guarantees they are only semi-sane. Hypocrisy, betraying principles and shallowness are designed into the job.

Some are using his sexual exploits to condemn him for the manifold - but quite irrelevant - political disappointments of his presidency. For signing the welfare bill, for a politically motivated bombing or failing to deliver on health, he has bitter critics on the left. But if disappointing the voters was an impreachable offence, few presidents would survive.

Of course he shouldn’t have lied on oath. But if he shouldn’t have been put on oath over such a matter, it mitigates the perjury. Is he an admirable character? No. Is he a criminal? Hardly. Should he have tried to get his lover and his secretary to prevent the exposure of his embarrassing private life? No, but it’s understandable in the face of gross invasion of his privacy. Those who believe there should be stronger privacy laws should consider whether the president had some right to try to protect his own. But the world being as it is, he may have to go because people do not like what they have seen, although they should never have seen it.

Alleycat, thanks for posting that Toynbee oped piece. Had not seen it before.

So true, that sex is a private thing. I mean, what a man or woman does with their physical sexual sensual desires on a daily basis is no more OUR business than what he or she eats for breakfast lunch or dinner! Or which god he or she prays to, or what sexual fantasies or daydreams he or she has in the deep recesses of their minds.

Sex is just a private thing, as long as it doesn’t hurt other people. In the Clinton Monica case, nobody got hurt. In the JFK Intern case, nobody got hurt. Why can’t people let sex remain a private thing between two consenting adults?

Driven? “Yes”. Controlled? “No way”. That’s supposed to be the difference between an adult and a 4 year old.

[quote=“Alleycat”]"If Polly Toynbee, a columnist for the Guardian

thesmokinggun.com/archive/jfkintern1.html

the smoking gun. scroll down a bit to see historical record…

[quote=“Alleycat”]I have already mentioned this article in another thread, and as it’s relevant to your discussion I’ll post the whole piece.

Polly Toynbee is a cloumnist for the Guardian, the UK’s most feminist broadsheet.

This is 1998 take on the Clinton-Lewinski saga.

Monica was not a crime

By Polly Toynbee
Saturday September 12, 1998[/quote]

Alleycat,

That person’s article, like so many others, completely missed the point, IMO. That is why I concurred with Ironlady’s remarks.

The issue was not “adultary” or “private sexual relations between two consenting adults”. That is how all the Clinton apologists wanted to frame the issue. Naturally… who can argue with that? The issue, however, was “sexual harrassment”.

I couldn’t care less what any adult does with any other consenting adult. But the fact is, Clinton was involved in legal procedings where he was the defendant accused of sexually harrassing a state employee (of Arkansas) when he was Governor of Arkansas. Its true that the prosecutor failed to establish that the situation described by Ms. Jones, the accuser in that case, met the conditions for sexual harrassment.

However, the prosecuter, when questioning Clinton about his affair with Ms. Lewinski, was attempting to show a pattern of abuse of power by Mr. Clinton. Indeed, many other women had made complaints as well. And we all know that if the accused had been a republican, the Clinton supporters would have been all in-favor of an inquisition.

IMO, the only difference between the situations involving Ms. Jones and Ms. Lewinski, is that Ms. Jones said “no” and Ms. Lewinski said “yes” to Mr. Clinton.

I for one, and I suspect that Ironlady will agree with me here, find it terribly difficult to imagine that Ms. Lewinski, a lowly intern at the whitehouse, would have initiated the affair she had with Mr. Clinton. Imagine, Mr. Clinton, as Pres. of the USA, the most powerful person in the world on one side… and Ms. Lewinski, a lowly intern on the other side. Mr. Clinton asserted that Ms. Lewinski initiated the affair by revealing to him her thong gutchies. That, to me, is inconceivable, unless Mr. Clinton first established a permissive tone in the relationship between he and her.

So, yeah, sex is a private matter. With that notion I agree. But sexual harrassment is not a private matter… its a crime.

Have you mastered your desires by using your reasoning, Blueface? How many times have you acted like a 4-year-old? Well, I have, far too many times to count, and I will continue to do so, until I die.

Clinton could not reason around his desire for Monica, god only knows why he chose her; could you have?

[quote=“Alleycat”]Have you mastered your desires by using your reasoning, Blueface? How many times have you acted like a 4-year-old? Well, I have, far too many times to count, and I will continue to do so, until I die.

Clinton could not reason around his desire for Monica, god only knows why he chose her; could you have?[/quote]

I have always considered self-control to be one of the highest of all virtues.

Tigerman Wrote: [quote]That, to me, is inconceivable, unless Mr. Clinton first established a permissive tone in the relationship between he and her.[/quote]

Tigerman, how do you initiate your sexual relationships? Now I’m not saying I have gone around grabbing asses but some sort of understanding is reached between people, and I think this correspondence, if you like, is bio-chemical.

[quote=“Alleycat”]
Clinton could not reason around his desire for Monica, god only knows why he chose her; could you have?[/quote]

Well, most of Bubba’s women looked like Arkansas truckstop waitresses*. My tastes don’t swing in that direction, thank you.

*And I hope I’m not offending anyone (male or female) here who’s getting it on with an Arkansas truckstop waitress. :laughing:

Buddhists desire to have no desire.
Christians suppress desire.

Me?

I’d like to be a dog. I’d like to lick, bark, eat, and screw wherever and whenever!

:wink:

Tigerman, how do you initiate your sexual relationships? Now I’m not saying I have gone around grabbing asses but some sort of understanding is reached between people, and I think this correspondence, if you like, is bio-chemical.[/quote]

Alleycat,

You’re missing the point. Clinton was under investigation re charges of sexual harrassment. Many women had complained of previous episodes involving Clinton. At the time, one woman, Ms. Jones, accused him of sexual harrassment and the case was being prosecuted in court. In the US, sexual harrassment is a crime and its existence requires certain conditions to be met, including a relationship between the individuals involved (superior vs. underling), job dependency, etc…

In many cases of sexual harrassment, the workplace environment and atmosphere is very relevant. It is true, IMO, that Clinton and Lewinski harmed noone but themselves and perhaps Mrs. Clinton and Chelsea. But still, the tone that must have been set by Mr. Clinton in order for Ms. Lewinski to have had the nerve to moon the Pres. of the USA in his office would certainly be relevant in an investigation of sexual harrassment. And had Ms. Lewinski been offended, rather than flattered, she too might have accused Clinton of sexual harrassment.

Thus, the only difference in the cases was that one said “no” and one said “yes”.

The issue simply is not that of private sexual relations between consenting adults. How could it be, when a charge of sexual harrassment was then being prosecuted in the court?

Tigerman, lets fu**. Is that sexual harrasment? No, its a request for sexual gratification. Please do decline as I don’t swing through the back door. :smiling_imp:

There is no such thing is a lowly intern. Having gone through a masters program where competion for the a presidential internship was fierece and cut throat, anny body who gets there and does not have their wits about them… is a commie spy. I can imagine the little tramp initiating the affair.

The Kennnedy case may be different owing to the era, but I would be laothe to throw the sexual harrasment brush at it with out hearing the womans story first.

Chou

During the Clinton administration, a number of military officers and NCOs were prosecuted and/or had their careers destroyed due to accusations of sexual harassment. Odd, that the same rules of behaviour didn’t apply to their “Commander in Chief”.

abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Daily … 00523.html

cnn.com/US/9709/11/army.sex/

[quote=“tigerman”]IMO, the only difference between the situations involving Ms. Jones and Ms. Lewinski, is that Ms. Jones said “no” and Ms. Lewinski said “yes” to Mr. Clinton.

… find it terribly difficult to imagine that Ms. Lewinski, a lowly intern at the whitehouse, would have initiated the affair she had with Mr. Clinton.
[/quote]

It could be sexual harrassment if the conditions for sexual harrassment are met.

Wrong. “Lowly” is a relative term, especially with respect to the crime of sexual harrassment. Regardless of how competent Ms. Lewinsky might have been, in relation to the President of the United States, who was also her boss, Ms. Lewinsky’s position was “lowly”.

Its possible. But I very much doubt it. If, as you say, competition for the internship position was firece and cut-throat, its difficult for me to imaging that she would have jeopardized the same by initiating sex with the POTUS… unless she had reason to believe that mooning the POTUS would be regarded with favor by the POTUS.