JFRV and public schools

My last post was about working in a cram school with a JFRV, and now I’m trying to confirm some things I’ve read about working in public schools on a JFRV or an APRC. I’ve searched this topic and read a lot of posts about it, but I’m still confused.

I’ve read that a foreigner can work in a public school under two circumstances:

  1. They are a certified teacher in their home country.
  2. They have an independant visa (JFRV or APRC).

From what I’ve read, you need to be a lisenced teacher to get a work visa for a public school, however, if you have a JFRV or an APRC, you don’t need a work visa and therefore having a teaching lisence is not necessary. Is this true? Can anyone shed some light on this?

If this is true that a JFRV/APRC holder can work in a public school without a teaching lisence, how would he/she go about getting this kind of job? I know lisenced teachers can go through recruiters like Dewey or Footprints, but I’m not sure if non lisenced teachers can go this route. Does anyone or has anyone tried it?

I’ve also read that a person with a JFRV/APRC can just ‘apply to the schools directly’. Is that true? How does that work? The same as applying at a buxiban? Just walk in an drop off your CV? I can’t see people just walking into a public school, looking for the office and handing in their resume, but who knows? Maybe that’s exactly the way to do it.

My spouse and I will be coming back to Taiwan in a few months, and I’m just trying to figure out some things that I never had to think about before I was married. Thanks! :bow:

It’s my understanding that you’d be able to get a job at private schools that would normally have to require a teaching license this way (by having a JFRV), but public schools, since they are tied to the MoE, cannot hire a foreigner without a teaching certificate under any circumstance. I’d love to be proven wrong here, but that’s what I’ve been told.

Hmmmm? I think you may be right about the private schools. I know a woman who taught in a few private elementary schools, and she said many of the teachers didn’t have a teaching license. Thanks for your response by the way.

I have been told that if you have an advanced degree, MA or PhD in any field, that the Ed ticket isn’t required. I have taught at public schools without a problem under that situation. No problems with qualifications but if you are wanting to work for a public school, like Junior High, I suggest, from my experiences, that you re-think the idea. Also, the private middle and high schools are even worse. No END of B.S. Dongshan comes to immediate focus. Oh!, and the Catholic school in Neihu just brought another shudder.

Interesting. Do tell. What kinds of things are going on in these schools?

Mostly sleeping and playing grab ass with no ability to control. That being said, I am a pretty big and intimidating kind of guy. That age don’t give a rat’s ass. The private school kids have rich parents and know they don’t need anything the school has to offer.
Once, I had to go to the office and left the class to do some reading exercises. When I got back I saw the whole back wall covered with black marker that so and so (female) is not a virgin anymore. School police came and it was a pretty scary lesson from there on. Bottom line was that parents had to come to the school, student was suspended and parents paid to repaint the classroom. But . . . student was back in class the next week and even though the classroom had a new coat of paint, the little prick was proud of his work and was actually admired by the other guys in the class.