JFRV and Work Rights for Foreign Spouses

we did look into getting married here… however, as you mentioned, we needed a document proving that we are single, which of course, we are not — because we’re already married! it’s a catch-22.

:loco:

Geez adguy, I feel for you. That sounds like a nightmare. I hope we don’t run into all that nonsense.

This is the tricky bit. Adguy can’t seem to obtain the required documents, and I’m not sure whether the govenment in Taiwan will accept the new Canadian citizen 90 day no-visa visa, or whether I need to request what should be an unnecessary 60 day tourist visa. :ponder:

[quote=“adguy”]they got a tote bag because it is a MIRACLE that someone secured a JFRV.

i got my fbi check back finally. I have my marriage license, and I have both translated. the teco office in the states said that I need to surrender my actual official marriage license to them AND have it notarized in the states… which is illegal. i actually flew back to the states to do it in person, and got nowhere with the teco office in los angeles. finally i just tried to get two notaries to do it anyway but they both said they absolutely cannot notarize a vital record… it is by its nature, notarized automatically. they also said that i should never give away my vital records, just for some office to keep the original. also, the la teco office also said that the fbi document must be authorized by the teco office in washington d.c. only and it will take about 30 days.

month six… still no jfrv. so yes, if you can actually pull this off, you should get a tote bag at the very least. :fume:[/quote]

Can’t you just get another official copy of your marriage certificate and give them that? I’d assume TECO would give it back pretty quickly anyway but even if they lost it, it wouldn’t be a big deal as you’d have another for yourself. Getting a JFRV is a very simple procedure that has been done by countless others before. There’s really no reason for you to have difficulties with it.

To be honest, i’ve never heard of a TECO that wants and keeps the official document, they are normally only interested in a notarized copy plus the original to check if they are the same document … Think about a drivers license that you want to have stamped in a TECO for verification, they can not keep your original.

In Taiwan you get 3 official copies of your marriage license, in English and Chinese … So total six.

We got a tote bag, my wife bargained for another one (for the kids la)

When we stepped out, 2 tote bags, 2 mugs, a 2012 calendar and the little guide about the foreign spouses helpline when we get beaten up by our partners :thumbsup: Taiwan rocks

We got a tote bag, my wife bargained for another one (for the kids la)

When we stepped out, 2 tote bags, 2 mugs, a 2012 calendar and the little guide about the foreign spouses helpline when we get beaten up by our partners :thumbsup: Taiwan rocks[/quote]
Yeah, don’t let that little woman beat you up, man! You call that hotline, sailor!! :thumbsup:

I really need some clarity on the issue. My wife is an American citizen working here with an ARC. I’m also an american citizen and I would like to be a dependent under her ARC. Do I need to get a FBI background check? Also will I be applying for a JFRV? Or will I be applying for something else? Thanks!

All I can say with certainty is that you will not be applying for a JFRV. JFRV stands for Joining family Residence Visa, and AFAIK, that is only when your spouse or family is Taiwanese.

All I can say with certainty is that you will not be applying for a JFRV. JFRV stands for Joining family Residence Visa, and AFAIK, that is only when your spouse or family is Taiwanese.[/quote]

True.

And you do not need an FBI background check for a dependent ARC (which is what you will apply for, NOT a JFRV). Did it last year with my wife when she was the only one with a job.

Hi everyone!

I’m new here, first post :slight_smile:

I have few questions and this seems the appropriate topic to ask.
I have a job offer in Taichung and will get an ARC visa, to stay with me my wife would need a JFRV right?
I’m French and she’s Chinese, I understand there are different rules for Chinese citizens to get that JFRV, I’ve read mixed feedback on internet and not really up to date as visa regulations between Taiwan and China are changing quite fast.

So does anyone have recent info about a similar case? I’ll be glad to hear it thanks!

[quote=“zigmun”]Hi everyone!

I’m new here, first post :slight_smile:

I have few questions and this seems the appropriate topic to ask.
I have a job offer in Taichung and will get an ARC visa, to stay with me my wife would need a JFRV right?
I’m French and she’s Chinese, I understand there are different rules for Chinese citizens to get that JFRV, I’ve read mixed feedback on internet and not really up to date as visa regulations between Taiwan and China are changing quite fast.

So does anyone have recent info about a similar case? I’ll be glad to hear it thanks![/quote]
JFRV stands for Joining Family Residence Visa. Your wife can’t get a JFRV, because you aren’t a Taiwanese citizen. I think she needs to apply for an ARC based on your work ARC.

Hi Bismarck,

Thanks for the reply, so she can get an ARC based on mine (without permission to work I guess) ??

Ok that’s cool, we’ll look into it, good luck to the Boks this wkd!

[quote=“zigmun”]Hi Bismarck,

Thanks for the reply, so she can get an ARC based on mine (without permission to work I guess) ??

Ok that’s cool, we’ll look into it, good luck to the Boks this wkd![/quote]
Yeah. Something like that, but I’m not exactly sure how it works.

I’d like the link too… Anyone??

There is in fact no ambiguity about Article 48 of the Employment Services Act and government agencies are well aware of this: all ARCs with the purpose of joining a R.O.C. spouse issued from 2013 (depending on the service center as early as 2012) carry a note saying that the bearer does not require to apply for work permits in order to perform any work or render any services while in Taiwan.
When I helped a friend renewing his JFRV ARC last year, I was one of the people who drafted the formal proposal to the NIA to include such a note as it makes everything easier and clearer.

Sweet. Out of curiosity, how did you go about doing that?

1. Make it easy for the NIA, give them pictures: take a scanned in JFRV-ARC and put it in a pdf file with residence permits for spouses for other countries that do include a note that work is ok. Taiwan always strives to adhere to some international standard.

2. Also mention the relevant law but do not let the NIA do the work of looking the article up, make sure to cite it.

3. Submit it at the service center together with your contact details.

NIA is one of the few government agencies that seems to be happy about suggestions from its “customers”.

I am Ukrainian passport holder, my Boy friend is Taiwanese citizen, we pan to get merry in Taiwan, after marriage do i need apply for work permit? and when i could apply for Tw passport and other documents, and what is the process. Thank you so much!!!

After you are married you need to apply for an ARC (Alien Resident Certificate) based on joining family or relatives. This is commonly abbreviated as JFRV.
You ARC will come with a note saying you need not apply for a work permit in order to work.

Are you in Taiwan already? If yes, what is your purpose of stay?

[quote=“adguy”]we did look into getting married here… however, as you mentioned, we needed a document proving that we are single, which of course, we are not — because we’re already married! it’s a catch-22.

:loco:[/quote]

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this is a very important issue for me. I’m a US citizen married to a Taiwan citizen in the United States. We have a marriage license/certificate in the US. As far as I know from the AIT website, all we need to do to get over this catch-22 is not try to get married in Taiwan, but get the US marriage recognized in Taiwan. You can do this by writing an affidavit stating the certificate is legitimate and that’s it. You can then get a JFRV.

It sounds pretty simple and straightforward to do… has anyone else’s experience been different? Guess it’s different for different countries??

http://acs.ait.org.tw/acs-faq.html#marriage