JFRV ARC but no degree, am I breaking the law or is my employer?

@Toe_Save is right that a buxiban is a business entity and also right that OP has nothing to worry about.

That said, a buxiban, though not a “school” in the ordinary sense, is subject to the Supplementary Education Act and the education authorities (local education department and central Ministry of Education).

The type of buxiban that most foreigners have contact with is 短期補習班, literally short-term buxiban or short-term supplementary education class, commonly translated as cram school. This is the type of business entity referred to in the Employment Service Act Art. 46 Par. 1 Subpar. 4 and the related qualification standards that require either a degree or a teaching certificate (along with a health check, age 20+, and citizenship of a country whose official languages include the one to be taught). If OP did not have open work rights, the ESA would dictate the requirements for a work permit. As Toe and @tando explained, OP does not need a WP.

If you have any doubt about a buxiban’s category, you can ask to see the registration or (at least in some cities) look it up on the education department’s website.

teachers’ information should be sent to the authority and teachers shouldn’t have certain kinds of criminal records, but as everyone is repeating, whether their diplomas and certificates are from universities or high schools or middle schools is irrelevant, as far as schools submit true diplomas and certificates documenting education and professional experiences and teachers are capable to teach.

Sorry if I’m being a hassle, but your confusing even more.

You said that “require either a degree or a teaching certificate (along with a health check, age 20+, and citizenship of a country whose official languages include the one to be taught).”

I don’t have a degree or a teaching certificate, so aren’t I breaking the law?

That is a requirement for a foreigner to get a work permit to teach English at buxiban. In your case, you can work with the same requirements that taiwanese should meet.

I fully understand that I can work wherever a Taiwanese can, with the same requirements.

My question however is regarding what the requirements actually are.

Does anybody actually know of a document that lists the exact requirements?

So, clean criminal record, for you and taiwanese to teach English at buxiban. If you don’t have any of criminal records that are listed in Article 9 of Supplementary education act, you and taiwanese can work at chain language schools.

If buxibans’ contents are related to licenses managed by government, such as medical schools or driving schools, teachers are required to have proper credentials, but, there is no requirement regarding educational levels or credentials other than criminal records for language school teachers.

Of course you should provide documents to show your ID and to prove you are a spouse of a Taiwanese and have a right to reside in Taiwan.

1 Like

Dude, you are safe with your JFRV at any buxiban. Dont sweat it. Chill.

The only reason they need to see a degree is for people they have to apply an ARC for. You dont need that. Your JFRV gives you open work rights. They can hire you as an easy hire because of your JFRV. Saves them the trouble of getting someone an ARC.


How do we mark posts as solved?

To recap:

If you needed a work permit (which, as a foreign spouse, you don’t), you would need to meet the criteria listed in Art. 42 of this regulation under the ESA:

The only requirements that apply to all buxiban teachers (including locals, foreign spouses, PR’s, refugees, WHV holders, gold card holders, and foreigners with normal work permits) are found in Art. 9 of the SEA. In practical terms, this means sex offenders are excluded, but those without university degrees are not excluded.

What’s translated here as diplomas and certificates is actually 學經歷證件, which doesn’t specify a level of education.

So again, you’re fine. :slight_smile: :desert_island:

1 Like

Though your students are old enough, if you are requested to teach preschool kids, you need to be careful. Teachers and caregivers at kindergartens/preschools need to have credentials managed by government. In addition, it might become illegal to teach subjects to kids younger than 6 at buxibans.

Details are here.