JFRV for Canadians

I was hoping someone could explain to me the steps involved for a Canadian to get a JFRV. My wife and i got married here in Taiwan. I got my criminal record check from Canada in November(how long is it valid for).

It’s my understanding that i need to get the Canadian record check translated, and then sent to TECO in Canada to get certified. Then once it comes back to Taiwan, i need to take it, along with a Taiwan criminal record check, health check and a copy of the marriage document from the household registration office to the foreign affairs place to get sorted.

Can someone please help me and advise me on these steps, especially the step of getting it translated and certified, or authenticated.

thanks

Don’t know specifically about Canadians requirements but I do know that all docs are only valid for a maximum of 3 months, so you’ll need a new criminal record check.

Is that true though? I recall someone (Jaboney?) on here saying they changed it to 6months. and OP, that particular poster is Canadian.

Is that true though? I recall someone (Jaboney?) on here saying they changed it to 6months. and OP, that particular poster is Canadian.[/quote]

You could be right. I’ll stand corrected if necessary. It’s been a while since I did all that stuff.

It used to be three but my understanding was that it was proving impossible for US citizens to get the FBI record check back within three months so it was adjusted to six months. It looks like the six months extended to US citizens applies to everyone now (or at least for the APRC applications): please see Note VI. 5 at goo.gl/ZU2pA Either way … I would though confirm the period directly with the folks at Immigration.

The other requirements for a JFRV should not be Canada specific and your understanding on the requirement for the translation and TECO certification is correct.