JFRV or 90 day visa?

I’ll be staying in Taiwan for 6 months next year with my wife (Taiwanese national) and our newborn son. I plan to hang out with family and friends and study some Chinese with a tutor.

Is there any advantage in getting a JFRV or should I just enjoy that I now get to stay 90 days without any red tape and just do the one visa run?

[quote=“EddieG”]I’ll be staying in Taiwan for 6 months next year with my wife (Taiwanese national) and our newborn son. I plan to hang out with family and friends and study some Chinese with a tutor.

Is there any advantage in getting a JFRV or should I just enjoy that I now get to stay 90 days without any red tape and just do the one visa run?[/quote]

I guess it depends on how keen you are to get a whole bunch of tests, injections, and a chest x-ray (:

[quote=“pqkdzrwt”][quote=“EddieG”]I’ll be staying in Taiwan for 6 months next year with my wife (Taiwanese national) and our newborn son. I plan to hang out with family and friends and study some Chinese with a tutor.

Is there any advantage in getting a JFRV or should I just enjoy that I now get to stay 90 days without any red tape and just do the one visa run?[/quote]

I guess it depends on how keen you are to get a whole bunch of tests, injections, and a chest x-ray (:[/quote]

And a poo poo sample.

[strike]It sounds like you are from a country whose citizens are not allowed to extend a visitor visa for another 90-days while in Taiwan.[/strike]
[strike]Do you mind saying which country? (I am trying to understand the visa run situation in Taiwan better, that’s why i am asking.)[/strike]
Looks like you are from Sweden - can you not come here on a visitor visa and extend that while you are in the country?

I don’t even know what’s involved with getting a JFRV but if it’s only 6 months (1 visa run) I would probably pass on the inevitable bureaucratic paperwork disaster (probably not cheap either). And plan a nice vacation to Hong Kong, Philippines, China, radioactive Japan, Thailand, Vietnam, etc halfway thru your stay.

I’m also assuming that you mean 90 day visa exempt. just show up at the airport and get a stamp no questions asked (pretty much). Another possibility might be an extendable visitor visa but I’m not sure what conditions are required to extend it. I know that chinese classes are one and I think visiting family is another. But I don’t know the process since it doesn’t pertain to myself.

It sounds like you are from a country whose citizens are not allowed to extend a visitor visa for another 90-days while in Taiwan.
Do you mind saying which country? (I am trying to understand the visa run situation in Taiwan better, that’s why I am asking.)[/quote]I’m from Sweden. And of course Abacus is correct. I mean 90 days visa exempt. Thus I can’t prolong it I guess.

[quote=“tomthorne”]And a poo poo sample.[/quote]I didn’t have to do that one for my student visa back in the day :ponder:

Changed my post before seeing your reply. So it looks like you could take out a visitor visa and renew that in Taiwan, and you’d be OK for half a year… :slight_smile:

Changed my post before seeing your reply. So it looks like you could take out a visitor visa and renew that in Taiwan, and you’d be OK for half a year… :slight_smile:[/quote]

I don’t think renew is the correct term but rather extend. And like I said based on some stuff I’ve read before they don’t just offer extensions. It’s possible that visiting family is one valid reason to grant an extension but I really don’t know.

Changed my post before seeing your reply. So it looks like you could take out a visitor visa and renew that in Taiwan, and you’d be OK for half a year… :slight_smile:[/quote]

I don’t think renew is the correct term but rather extend. And like I said based on some stuff I’ve read before they don’t just offer extensions. It’s possible that visiting family is one valid reason to grant an extension but I really don’t know.[/quote]Ok. So it’s back to square one. Is a JFRV worth the hassle? Does it come with some goodies like health care or dental care?