JFRV vendor's license?

Can holders of JFRVs get a vendor’s license? Has anyone tried this?

Don’t see why not. It would be lawful. Doesn’t the law state that those with a JFRV can work in any form of employment that a similarly qualified Taiwanese can do? Hmmm… just how quailified do you need to be to be a street vendor?

You won’t be able to speak to any of your patrons of preschool age though :wink:

Not unless you sing a song and introduce some cultural customs. Perhaps you could sing and dance while you sell stuff. :wink:

I guess as long as I spoke Mandarine or Minan to the youngest customers, the MOE wouldn’t care. But Surely one doesn’t need to apply to the MOE for a vending permit. So where would I start?

Related question, if one gets caught without a permit, what is the fine?

Half a dozen shao lum bao :sunglasses:

Cute Amos. :slight_smile: I’m asking my father in law to help me out with the paper work but I have some stuff I want to unload quickly this weekend and I figure if I do get a fine and it’s just a few hundred dollars, it’s still worth it to me.

Hey Bassman: You and others say this often. I agree that that is what the law means and intends, but it is NOT what the law says. The law says that Class IV foreigners are not subject to the restrictions that Class I~Class III foreigners are. (The new CLA work permit regulations divide foreigners applying for work permits into four classes).

If you live in Taiwan province (i.e. not in Taipei or Kaohsiung), then the Regulations Governing Vendors in Taiwan Province apply. To register as a vendor, you need to have had your houselhold registration registered in your locality for six months. You must also be one of the following:

1. Certified low-income household
  2. A registered vendor
  3. A registered disabled person
  4. Someone whose ward leader (lizhang) vouches for as having no other livelihood.

You apply at your local Town Hall (Gongsuo).

You can be fined under traffic, sanitation, and waste disposal laws.

Just by looking at the regulations, I can tell you that the system is not set up with foreigners in mind. It may still be possible to get one, but it will take a lot of persistence.

For Taipei and Kaohsiung, I would recommend calling your local district office. Don’t tell them you are a foreigner because they may tell you no even if it is possible.

Good luck!

So, it’s just what I said then. If you meet the same requirements for a Taiwanese then you can do the job. Right. You need a permit to be a vendor but you don’t need a “work permit” as such. If you have a JFRV then all you need to do is meet the regulations required for a Taiwanese. Right?

From what I gather, you don’t need an O.W.P anymore, all you need is a JFRV and you then have the right to work. It is perfectly acceptable that one should be expected to meet the same requirements as Taiwanese must do. So, we are all on a level playing field then? Right?

I don’t see how it would be difficult to get a permit. Perhaps it is. I still see plenty of foreigners selling stuff on the street in Taichung and Taichung county.

[quote=“Feiren”][quote]as a vendor, you need to have had your houselhold registration registered in your locality for six months. You must also be one of the following:

2. A registered vendor
  4. Someone whose ward leader (lizhang) vouches for as having no other livelihood![/quote][/quote]

Well, I’m in Taipei, but our household registration is in Kaohsiung and I can’t immagine I’d meet the other qualifications. So what about those fines? Are they large enough to be a deterent?

[quote]So, it’s just what I said then. If you meet the same requirements for a Taiwanese then you can do the job. Right. You need a permit to be a vendor but you don’t need a “work permit” as such. If you have a JFRV then all you need to do is meet the regulations required for a Taiwanese. Right?
[/quote]

But if (as int he regulation Feiren quoted) you need household registration, then it’s worthless. Foreigners can not get Household registration.

Brian

Now, you are “in” a household registration" right? Does it really have to be your own household registration?

[quote]Now, you are “in” a household registration" right? Does it really have to be your own household registration?
[/quote]

I guess you’d have to see how they worded it, but having your own household registration book, and just being written into your wives are very different things. Not having HR is the reason you or I can’t usually get credit. I don’t think even foreigners who get citizenship have HR (?)

Brian

Well, not waiting for an answer; my father in law is pretty persuasive so hopefully he’ll figure it out for me.

I already have my nifty little jewelry display case (NT$750!!! what a steal) for selling my jewelry to the Filipinas on Chung Shan N. Rd. on Sunday. If any one sees me, say hi!

Good luck Braxton! Please let me know how it goes and what your FIL comes up with.

Hey Bassman: You and others say this often. I agree that that is what the law means and intends, but it is NOT what the law says. The law says that Class IV foreigners are not subject to the restrictions that Class I~Class III foreigners are. (The new CLA work permit regulations divide foreigners applying for work permits into four classes).

[/quote]

Okay, now I’m totally confused. Do you mean that people on JFRV have to comply with the conditions laid down for Class IV foreigners?

[quote]Article 36 Employers making application to employ Type 4 foreigners must prepare the following documentation: 1. Application form. 2. Copy of applicant’s ID or the ID of the responsible person of the company, company registration, business registration, factory registration, and special permits or licenses. However, companies not required to attach copies of factory registration or special permits are not included in these limitations. [Translator’s note: Huh??] 3. Copies of employment contract or labor contract. 4. Passport copies for foreign nationals to be employed. 5. Copies of the ARC or PARC of the foreign nationals to be employed. 6. Receipt for handling fee. 7. Other documentation as required by the Central Authority. Employers which are civil organizations shall be required to attached items 1 and 3 through 7 above, as well as copies of the ID of the organization’s responsible person [fuze ren] and the certificate of the organization’s registration .

Article 37 Sixty days prior to the expiration of the period of validity for work permits, the employer must apply for an extension in the case of Type 4 foreigners requiring same, and submit, within that time frame, the documents stipulated in items 1 and 3 through 7 to the Central Authority for their review.

Article 38 Type 4 foreigners who are performing work under Article 51, item 2 of this Law who apply to the Central Authority for a work permit should attach documentation as required in Article 36, clause 1 and clauses 4-7.[/quote]

( From ironlady’s translation on the Teaching English forum)

To avoid fragmenting and continue this in a more relevant thread, I’m going to copy my above post onto the "MoE refuses to Follow Law Concerning Foreign Spouses " thread.
Please make any replies there.

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Feiren”][quote]as a vendor, you need to have had your houselhold registration registered in your locality for six months. You must also be one of the following:

2. A registered vendor
  4. Someone whose ward leader (lizhang) vouches for as having no other livelihood![/quote]

Well, I’m in Taipei, but our household registration is in Kaohsiung (Gaoxiong) and I can’t immagine I’d meet the other qualifications. So what about those fines? Are they large enough to be a deterent?[/quote][/quote]

When I was working as a street performer, I just set up next to the other illegal vendors. When they moved, I moved (and I brought 'em bidness :smiley:). If I recall, the fine is somehting like NT$800-1200, I asked a police officer friend a while back…seemed to me to be in the realm of a “cost of doing business.”

I was told by a lady selling next to me that the fine is $1200. I don’t mind paying $1200 if / when I’m caught without a permit. Seeing the inlaws tomorrow so hopefully they’ll have some info for me.