šŸ® New Taipei City | Jiufen

Finally got something published.

This postcard piece on Jiufen will be published in an anthology of works called Gaia published by redbubble. It was selected from amongst a batch of photos and written works.
http://www.redbubble.com/groups/gaia-the-living-planet

Why is something from 2008 showing up at new?

Definitely worth a visit even if been to Jiufen many times. Why? Because lots more Red Lanterns than usual.

Lots of Japanese speaking tourists must be big tour groups.

Dates so far this year 25 Feb - 26 Mar 2023.

First time when I visited Jiufen, in 2020, it was enjoyable. I happened to visit it recently with family and found it overrated. It has the old charm at night, with lanterns and good tea and an inspiration for spirited away.

However, to actually reach there and enjoy all that takes too much effort and is not worth it. The old street is just way overcrowded. Maintenance is poor, resulting in bad street surface at most points, which makes it unsuitable for the elderly or strollers.

Lanterns - for all the hype, very poorly maintained. Many are broken, fitted with loose dangerous wiring. Fire hazards.

Horrendous public toilets - you would think the government would spend money on construction and maintenance of public toilets, but no. The ones at the start of old street are just terrible. If you walk in some of the smaller alley steps, there is the smell of sewage.

Most of the shops were not enjoyable for me this time - itā€™s the same touristy stuff in every shop. If youā€™d close down all shops and just keep 1 mementos shop, 1 tea place, one art shop, itā€™d still be the same.

Anyways, I feel Jiufen has a charm that you canā€™t enjoy, unless you go there when its really and off-peak times. But it shouldnā€™t be that way. Tourists should be able to enjoy and have a good time on weekends. Maybe some sort of entry system will help?

3 Likes

Well, what do you expect from a tourist trap? Been there many times, but mostly after completing hikes in the area. The surrounding scenery is quite special.

7 Likes

Hopefully its negative aspects will deter tourists, then it wonā€™t be so overcrowded.

4 Likes

Has been a tourist trap for decades. Agree with what you said but nothing new.
Staying overnight is enjoyable I find.

4 Likes

Shithole. Good hiking.

1 Like

Sound like a lot of places

1 Like

Still wouldnā€™t be very enjoyable even if everything you mentioned was resolved.

It rains in Jiufen like 90% of the time. That might be okay for someone who is visiting from Taipei, but unbearable for people visiting from the south where it barely rains.

Good luck fixing the weather.

2 Likes

i agree, same can be said for almost any "old street " and the reputation of Tainan as a "foodie paradise "

6 Likes

Jiufen is a tourist trap for sure. Also famous because of the fake ā€œspirited awayā€™ā€ myth that has been associated with it for so long.
Itā€™s a beautiful place but only when u can avoid the crowds

7 Likes

I was fortunate enough to visit early in the morning on a clear day. I had all the streets to myself, as most the tourists were still asleep before 9am.

Best pictures Iā€™ve seen anyone take of Jiufen were the ones taken by me that beautiful empty morning.

1 Like

Been awhile since visiting, but I recall the teapots were highly priced. Then again, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Who shops at tourist traps anyway? You can get teapots anywhere.

Although I must admit that I did buy an overpriced calligraphy brush rack, but only because it met all of my strict requirements which I havenā€™t been able to find anywhere else.

1 Like

Iā€™d struggle to name a single old street that is really an old street. Dihua is just a load of cement buildings with fake facades.

1 Like

There are lots of them in Tainan, and a few in some old Kaohsiung towns. I donā€™t know about northern Taiwan though.

Just another observation. There may be explanations for the higher charge. Certain creator would be one example. I am not a tea pot collector, so it means little in my mind. :beers:

No I mean official tourist old streets. Although since I donā€™t get to Tainan much you may be rights.

It is a pity it is in disrepair. I mean, they had the chance to fix a lot of stuff during the pandemic, when there were less tourists.

4 Likes