Joanne Herring Interview: Understanding Afghanistan

Those of you who watched Charlie Wilson’s War (or read the book) might remember the woman played by Julia Roberts – her name was Joanne Herring. Her husband was Bob Herring the founder of Enron. Her first husband was a man called King. King was on the board of the Texas Commercial Bank now JP Morgan Chase Manhattan. King shared his directorship with Kenneth Lay (Enron), and James Baker III (Principal Director and former Secretary of the Treasury and State as well as the lawyer who handled the dangling chads case that won George W the Presidency and employer of Jeb Bush among a group of other interesting character). She was a childhood friend of James Baker and a Minute Woman of the John Birch Society. She was also Honorary Consul to Pakistan. If you ever wondered about Afghanistan, the Mujaheddin, and the US she is the lynch pin. These are her words in an interview posted on SFA University:

HERRING: Because what I did was look at the map and I said, at that time, Afghanistan now, you know, has, they discovered billions of dollars in minerals. But at the time there was absolutely nothing in Afghanistan. There were a few rocks and a few ragged tribesmen. And there wasn't anything in Pakistan either. There was no oil to speak of. They had discovered a little, but not even enough to become self-sufficient. There was nothing in either country. So I said, "Why are the Russians taking this over? Why do they want this part of the world?" And I looked at a map. And there was the Straits of Hormuz.* And through the Straits of Hormuz passes the energy of the world. And at that time, two ships sunk in the Straits of Hormuz, and that would be the energy to the United States. Which means not just our air conditioners in our cars, but our factories and our economy, everything. And when I went home and started talking to Congress about that, suddenly the glaze . . . in everybody's eyes, changed. And this is how we made the difference out there. They began to understand that they looked at the map, and they said . . . so the way Charlie got into it was absolutely not like the movie. My son Robin King went with me to Afghanistan and we made a film because nobody would believe it. [Jimmy] Carter was president, and he wouldn't, he said it was a tribal war, that there was no real war going on in Afghanistan. And people were being killed daily. Horrible things were happening. They were being piled up like kindling and then tanks would drive over them. They had pregnant women that they'd put cattle prods on them till their breast poured with milk and the baby died. Oh, so horrible, you can't imagine this. And our Congress and our world was saying there was no war. And they said that besides, Afghanistan can't govern itself, which I have some really good answers to which I hope you'll ask me. But anyway, we went over there and we said, "The world cannot deny pictures." So we took pictures of everything. And my son was only nineteen and he was fantastic. And he did a great job with this film. And that's the film Charlie saw, [William] Casey [Director of the CIA under President Ronald Reagan from 1981 to 1987] saw, [Caspar] Weinberger [Secretary of Defense under President Ronald Reagan from 1981 to 1987] saw of what was happening over in Afghanistan. Not, what's his name, commentator . . . [*The narrow Strait of Hormuz is considered one of the most strategic strait of waters in the world. Located just southeast of Afghanistan and Pakistan, it runs between the Gulf of Oman in the southeast and the Persian Gulf. As the only sea passage to the ocean for the large oil countries in the Persian Gulf, tankers pass much of the oil from Bahrain, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates. Indeed, about 20% of the world's oil passes through this one strait.]

Need you think any further. Well a little:

Ignorance is not bliss, for those who pay for such of others with blood.
Why anyone would want to repeat the experience of the British in the First, Second, and Third Anglo-Afghan Wars is beyond understanding.
Yet, again, there are those that hold that terrorism is something new under the sun…
:ponder:

'tis not about the oil, 'tis the Great Game.

Americans are the newbs init.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]

'tis not about the oil, 'tis the Great Game.

Americans are the newbs init.[/quote]
Wicked image!
And to think NATO followed them in there!
Smeg!

Interestingly, the Chinese (specifically the Chinese Metallurgical Grp) won much of the mining rights in Afghanistan, including copper and lithium. They are also destroying Buddhist heritage but unlike the Taliban they are doing it to find resources not appease their ignorance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19693005

So much for holding back the communists. They will now control the Homuz Strait without a shot being fired. The West has incredible hubris. The Chinese provided Pakistan with a nuclear bomb. The Pakkies sent the Russians broke in Afghanistan. China for all it fumbling and bumbling during that period now sits pretty thanks to Western hubris.

Oh, Jeez Loise!
Dont’ get me started on those damn Yanks!

Talk about a nation forged in the fire of Terror!

Examples to come, but I just burned the fuck out of my trigger finger.
99% Canuck at fault, 1% evil Chinese frypan.
Pogue Mahone!

Wait a minute, what’s the name of the strait that flows through Afghanistan…? I’m thinking we need to beef up their navy.

Well not exactly but Pakistan’s. I think the point she was making was access to Pakistan by the Russians through Afghanistan.

Another wicked image!
:notworthy:

Watch and wonder. This is not long before Larry McDonald died shot out of the air by the Russians. It is a very informative interview on the way the modern world, rightly or wrongly, came to fruition. If the word ‘conspiracy’ is dirty now. In these days, it was but a butterfly:

This is Playboy’s story on Tom Braden. He is the man sitting to the Left of Larry McDonald. If there were a guy with a story to tell it would be him:
http://playboysfw.kinja.com/cia-operative-tom-braden-s-plot-to-topple-the-ussr-with-1457132402

[quote=“Fox”]Watch and wonder. This is not long before Larry McDonald died shot out of the air by the Russians. It is a very informative interview on the way the modern world, rightly or wrongly, came to fruition. If the word ‘conspiracy’ is dirty now. In these days, it was but a butterfly:

This is Playboy’s story on Tom Braden. He is the man sitting to the Left of Larry McDonald. If there were a guy with a story to tell it would be him:
http://playboysfw.kinja.com/cia-operative-tom-braden-s-plot-to-topple-the-ussr-with-1457132402[/quote]

Well, it’s oh-dark-thirty, and I hear my rack calling, but I glanced at this stuff, Fox, and you’ve got me hooked in. I’ll be checking it out more thoroughly soon.

Both are good. The three way thing on Larry McDonald paints today’s world in broad strokes. Tom Braden’s story is intriguing, compelling, and wizened every crease and wrinkle in it could be a line on Braden’s face.

I had a look at Wikipedia articles on KAL007 and on Rep. McDonald tonight before going any further on the video, but I’ll watch the entire video soon.

I remember the KAL007 incident, but only vaguely. I remember thinking, “Boy, that’s weird.” According to that Wikipedia article, it was even weirder than I thought it was.

I may remember Rep. McDonald, but only just barely, and it may be a false memory. But I definitely remember hearing and reading a little about the John Birch Society when I was a teenager.

What I appreciate about the little bit I’ve seen of the video is that Rep. McDonald cited textual sources, and that means it’s possible to check what he said. Early on he made an interesting claim.

I’ve been long periods without a TV, so I’ve only seen a little bit of Crossfire. The Playboy information on Mr. Braden is fascinating, though. If Wikipedia is right, he was born about six months after my father. Unlike Mr. Braden, my dad wasn’t a big success and never did anything of great importance, but like Mr. Braden, he picked up his particular knack on the job. That was the ole skule.

Good stuff, Fox.

[quote]I had a look at Wikipedia articles on KAL007 and on Rep. McDonald tonight before going any further on the video, but I’ll watch the entire video soon.

I remember the KAL007 incident, but only vaguely. I remember thinking, “Boy, that’s weird.” According to that Wikipedia article, it was even weirder than I thought it was.
[/quote]

Years ago, I read that McDonald was killed because of his involvement in the Anti-Communist league, and the role it played in Washington. Then I later learned that he was cut out by who and for what reason inculpated Reagan or Bush senior.

But what’s most interesting about the video is how prophetic it is and the players. Concil on Foreign Relations, CIA, Right Wing Conservatives and a Democrat Bircher. It is like a snap shot of modern Washington.