Job advice?

Hey guys I just needed some advice … My name is Zach I’ve been living and teaching English in Beijing for almost 3 years now. I’ve been teaching mostly 2-5 year olds and there is not a day that goes by that I don’t love it. I have a bachelors in psychology and TEFOL certified. I was wonder how hard it is to find a job in Taiwan? I think here in Beijing the big city life has finally taken its toll on me and I just wanna get some fresh air too. A few questions…

1. How hard is it to find a job in a kindergarten in Taiwan ?
  2. Is it easy to find a job where the pay is close to my current pay 12000 rmb (58000 Twd)?
  3. And what are the costs of working visas?
  4. Apartment costs?
    Thanks for your help in advance… :laughing:

It is illegal to teach kindergarten in Taiwan.

Technically. That doesn’t stop all those schools from hiring teachers for something else and “lending” them to kindergartens, though. NT$58,000 would be difficult to start with, but if you went to teach outside of the big cities at least your living expenses would be quite low. You can easily – for emphasis, easily – find apartments under NT$10k in Taipei, and cheaper elsewhere. But once again, the pay isn’t great at the beginning. You may Aldo want to look at options in Southeast Asian countries like Vietnam, Thailand, etc.

The real question is why anyone would want to come to Taiwan when the opportunities are better in mainland China these days. Taiwan ain’t what it used to be - it’s not quite entirely over and done, but it’s been in serious decline for nearly a decade. Why come here when with your salary of 12,000 rmb you are earning more for less hours than you will be in Taiwan, plus free housing and paid airfare bonus on top? And from what I hear, teaching in China is a fairly easy job, unlike Taiwan where the dying buxiban industry suffers so much cut-throat competition (waaaay too many cram schools on every corner) that the pressure on schools and their teachers can be pretty stressful at times. Which is to say that many buxibans can be demanding. Most likely as a newbie you can expect to land a part-time job that offers you a work permit, but can only offer you around 15 hours a week at 600 NT per hour (about $18). Or go with a chain like Hess that demands 40+ hours a week but only pays you for 20. You’re really going to struggle either way to get to that 58,000 NT.

Also, if you’re into the culture, the mainland has more opportunities for travel and sights, while Taiwan is still a small island - there’s only so much to see. And simplified is easier to learn than traditional Chinese. And as far as speaking Mandarin goes, good luck getting through the thick Taiwanese accent (though this might be a problem in some provinces in China, too).

Really, the only advantages the ROC has over the PRC are:

a) Less pollution
b) More free and open society (media, people, government)

Salaries and working conditions seem better in China, as well there being many more opportunities (writing, editing, advertising, business, modeling, etc.) in China with its booming economy, as opposed to Taiwan’s decade-long stagnant economy and shrinking birthrate.

However, from your tone you might just be looking for a change of pace, so go for it if that’s all you want.

[quote=“Quentin”]
Also, if you’re into the culture, the mainland has more opportunities for travel and sights, while Taiwan is still a small island - there’s only so much to see. [/quote]
What if he’s into Taiwanese culture and not Chinese culture?

Nope and nope.

[quote=“Quentin”]Really, the only advantages the ROC has over the PRC are:

a) Less pollution
b) More free and open society (media, people, government)[/quote]

For many people, that’s reason enough.
By the way, Taiwan’s economy has not been stagnant for decades, although growth has certainly slowed down a lot over the past few years. I don’t see how that had a direct effect on the ESL industry though. The real problem is the low birthrate which means most buxibans are going to be ghost towns in a few years.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]
By the way, Taiwan’s economy has not been stagnant for decades, although growth has certainly slowed down a lot over the past few years. I don’t see how that had a direct effect on the ESL industry though. The real problem is the low birthrate which means most buxibans are going to be ghost towns in a few years.[/quote]

The economy is getting better but the salaries suck. The money from the improved economy is going to enrich the bosses. Many of my students point out that the starting salary when they finished University 20 years ago was higher than today’s starting salary. Really sad. This explains the low birthrate.

In addition, other than teaching, there is few opportunities to do anything else here. If the OP wants to branch out into something else later, he is better off in the mainland.

But as mentioned, if he only wants a change of pace why not. Give it a whirl for a year or so. I’m considering a change of pace soon in the other direction.

Living in Taiwan is actually quite different than Beijing, there is not much similarity at all! Climate, customs , geography, scale, all very different.

Living in Taiwan is actually quite different than Beijing, there is not much similarity at all! Climate, customs , geography, scale, all very different.

Is China really the best place to go right now? I’m fairly young so I’m kind of looking for a place that has a lot to offer now and will be pretty sound for the future… I know a good amount about Japan and Korea but is China currently offering the best wages? Also, if China then what cities or places in China would you recommend?

I’ve got quite a few friends who’ve lived in China for short periods of 3 months to 1 year and all of them say it’s not as nice as Taiwan, and in comparison, it’s quite a horrible place to be. You have to really look after yourself and your money because they felt there were people left, right and center, trying to scheme them out of it. Basically, the concensus was;
more pollution, people not as friendly, and can’t earn as much, plus lack of friends that wanted to be your friend instead of hang out because you’re a foreigner and they might get something useful from you.
Just what i heard on the grapevine, but i heard it enough times from different people to ring true for me

also, in China, religion is banned so you don’t get the joys of seeing beautiful temples with people going about their cultural activities, and also seeing beautiful things made by talented craftspeople that migrated from China. A lot of China’s beautiful artifacts are actually in Taiwan now, along with it’s culture and history

And?