Job Board

Firstly apologies if this has been mentioned already, could not find anything via the search. I was thinking of developing a Job Board similar to daves esl cafe etc to match western candiates to asian companies.

Does anyone know of any other similar sites like this or thoughts welcome on this possible endeavour ?

Try www.taiwanted.com :thumbsup:

[quote=“Maoman”]Try taiwanted.com :thumbsup:[/quote]Isn;t that the one that was hacked and sending spam? :whistle:

No. It was some spammer that was responding to ads with link-laden messages. The site itself wasn’t hacked.

I was thinking something more along the lines of actual jobs for various industries within Taiwan.

104.com.tw

Sorry dont think I explained the idea as clearly as I should. The site will have a english and chinese front end, but predominantly be in english. The idea is for western people to use the site to exclusivley find jobs within asia, more specifically taiwan at this time. If anyone wants to help out with this or give some ideas just give me a shout :slight_smile:

I’d look at it.

face it MM…taiwanted’s dead…there have been 5 jobs in total this year on it. :whistle:

[quote=“justme86”]Firstly apologies if this has been mentioned already, could not find anything via the search. I was thinking of developing a Job Board similar to daves esl cafe etc to match western candiates to Asian companies.

Does anyone know of any other similar sites like this or thoughts welcome on this possible endeavour ?[/quote]

Bad idea…take it from someone who has been there and done that! There is not enough market for it.

face it MM…taiwanted’s dead…there have been 5 jobs in total this year on it. :whistle:[/quote]
Well, that’s not true at all, but I get your point. The fact is, it’s not dead, it’s dormant, suffering from neglect. When we get our shit together (and we will get our shit together), we will rock your (online classifieds in Taiwan) world. In the meantime, you’ll just have to make do with what we’ve got. :blush: :bow:

Dormant is as good as dead in the Internet age, my friend. If you are serious about doing something with it, and you have some people interested in hacking at it in their free time, then do it. I’m coming some time in the Fall and am mighty interested in helping…but only if there is a vested interest in other parties to do same. And I don’t cost nothing.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“justme86”]Firstly apologies if this has been mentioned already, could not find anything via the search. I was thinking of developing a Job Board similar to daves esl cafe etc to match western candiates to Asian companies.

Does anyone know of any other similar sites like this or thoughts welcome on this possible endeavour ?[/quote]

Bad idea…take it from someone who has been there and done that! There is not enough market for it.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, care to expand a little further ? It would be much appreciated…

[quote=“justme86”][quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“justme86”]Firstly apologies if this has been mentioned already, could not find anything via the search. I was thinking of developing a Job Board similar to daves esl cafe etc to match western candiates to Asian companies.

Bad idea…take it from someone who has been there and done that! There is not enough market for it.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, care to expand a little further ? It would be much appreciated…[/quote]

“not enough market for it” means not enough potential customers. There are very few westerners visiting, living and working in Taiwan, certainly not enough for a business. * When you’re thinking of setting up a business that caters to whitey in Taiwan, imagine you are in a town of 10,000 rather than a country of millions.

Have a look at this thread: [url]Ideas for new firm helping arriving English teachers?

• Can anyone think of an exception?

At the moment it is a side project, i would estimate around 60% completed with regards to the actual system implementation. I will be arriving in around 10 days !

[quote=“almas john”][quote=“justme86”][quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“justme86”]Firstly apologies if this has been mentioned already, could not find anything via the search. I was thinking of developing a Job Board similar to daves esl cafe etc to match western candiates to Asian companies.

Thanks for the reply, care to expand a little further ? It would be much appreciated…[/quote]

“not enough market for it” means not enough potential customers. There are very few westerners visiting, living and working in Taiwan, certainly not enough for a business. * When you’re thinking of setting up a business that caters to whitey in Taiwan, imagine you are in a town of 10,000 rather than a country of millions.

Have a look at this thread: [url]Ideas for new firm helping arriving English teachers?

• Can anyone think of an exception?[/quote]

Well as I am arriving next week in Taiwan I had figured to start with Taiwan and branch out from there. Like in my post above says, its really a side project which I have been working on a bit. One of my frustrations when looking for a job in southeast asia was i could not find anywhere that did not include jobs teaching english !

I tried exactly that with a job board focused on taiwan and Asian component also, focused on professionals. It is hard to get people to reach into their pocket and pay for another job board when they already use their primary job boards. It is also hard to convince people to upload their resumes when they already have it one, two or three sites. They also prefer uploading in their own language so you need to have that up too. You have to market your site, costs money. It’s not like you just put it up and they will come.

There just isn’t a broad market for an international job board in English yet in Asia and there are too many established competitors. Taiwan has very few foreign professionals, China would be a better idea but there already lots of people doing this in China (and losing money, or at least their investors money!). You might be able to get a few bucks here and there but it’s hardly worth the effort and investment. If you know some recruiters then maybe they will pay to use your board but you need to build up a lot of candidates, it is 100X more lucrative to be the recruiter, that is where the money is.

Many companies continue to enter this field every year and throw tonnes of money at it, only the original two companies in Taiwan actually make money, AFAIK, 104.com.tw and 1111.com.tw.

Otherwise if you had a different spin on things…but really the market changes very quickly. These days a lot of people are using linkedin to promote themselves. It’s impossible to keep up with the big boys and their databases and resources. You are better off to focus on one area, like creating an app that could be used on a mobile phone, quick sending of new job openings from multiple jobsites to a candidate that could give them an edge, that sort of thing. Give them the edge in getting a job and that will be a winner! It is really key…
Then you’ve got to understand the culture of the people you are marketing too…Taiwanese and each country has a different job seeking culture…it’s not one size fits all.

If you want more of this expensively earned advice you can buy me a beer!

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I tried exactly that with a job board focused on taiwan and Asian component also, focused on professionals. It is hard to get people to reach into their pocket and pay for another job board when they already use their primary job boards. It is also hard to convince people to upload their resumes when they already have it one, two or three sites. They also prefer uploading in their own language so you need to have that up too. You have to market your site, costs money. It’s not like you just put it up and they will come.

There just isn’t a broad market for an international job board in English yet in Asia and there are too many established competitors. Taiwan has very few foreign professionals, China would be a better idea but there already lots of people doing this in China (and losing money, or at least their investors money!). You might be able to get a few bucks here and there but it’s hardly worth the effort and investment. If you know some recruiters then maybe they will pay to use your board but you need to build up a lot of candidates, it is 100X more lucrative to be the recruiter, that is where the money is.

Many companies continue to enter this field every year and throw tonnes of money at it, only the original two companies in Taiwan actually make money, AFAIK, 104.com.tw and 1111.com.tw.

Otherwise if you had a different spin on things…but really the market changes very quickly. These days a lot of people are using linkedin to promote themselves. It’s impossible to keep up with the big boys and their databases and resources. You are better off to focus on one area, like creating an app that could be used on a mobile phone, quick sending of new job openings from multiple jobsites to a candidate that could give them an edge, that sort of thing. Give them the edge in getting a job and that will be a winner!

Then you’ve got to understand the culture of the people you are marketing too…Taiwanese and each country has a different job seeking culture…it’s not one size fits all.[/quote]

Some good thoughts here ! I think some further thought one what is the unique “selling” point will have to continue for a while !

I have previously made a few apps on facebook and iphone, with the facebook one making a substantial income. I dont think facebook is as popular as i would like in taiwan yet, but i think i will also include facebook connect etc for using my job board. Not too sure how the social media network is within taiwan at the moment, english speaking wise that is.

I’m using a translation template for english and chinese using my friends to translate the latter for me.

I have quite a few good ways to market via the social networking streams, but like i said before i will have to look in to how this channel is used by people from within tw.

Taiwan is a conservative society compared to the West and then again the use of MSN and Facebook is very prevalent. I have never heard of anybody getting hired through facebook or linkedin but I guess it might happen every now and then. Interviews and hiring are still very structured and use the job boards I mentioned earlier. It is very different in many ways.

At the minute i am seeing two issues which are standing out for me. I do not think I will have a problem getting the western “employees” through various means, including social media, on to my job board. That leaves the question, and remains to be seen, if the taiwan / asian employers, will come to the board if I can get the western individuals.

I guess its a catch 22 situation, seeming like its all a numbers game. I believe I should be able to get the “talent” but they will not stay if i cant get the employers on board in a reasonable amount of time.