Job Hunting Strategy

Anybody care to dispense some quick pointers on how to job hunt more efficiently? Finally I’ve finished the CELTA, leaving me just a week and a half left to pack up my stuff and go. So, I really don’t have much time to do some extensive research. All I’ve been applying to are Tealit listings. But ofcourse, everybody knows about it so I’m sure there’s like a million applicants for each listing. I’ll hit up those ones too nonetheless upon arrival.

If I’m not sure of what city I’d like to teach in, is there any extra advice with how to get started besides just going into a city and calling up the directory of schools? Of course, alot of schools also aren’t advertised/listed. How do I sift out the schools rather than to just go walking in/cold calling to try to save time and energy, if such ways exist?

I’d also like to toss an unrelated question in here. Which places are the cheapest to live in while still having a decent amount of teaching jobs? (Taoyuan, Tainan, Hsinchu, Maoli, Taichung, Kaohsiung, etc.)

Thank you.

First of all, do hunting and fishing.

Advertise yourself on as many boards as possible.
You don’t have to display all your personal data in your posts.

Do an advertising campaign for 2 to 3 weeks and then go for the interviews available.

Running to schools that aren’t looking for teachers could be a waste of energy and time. It will be very discouraging also.

best bet is to go with a chain if they are hiring. It’s a job and starts quick and everything is on the up and up.

Then you network like crazy. You’ll find that some of the best jobs you get are through acquaintances.

Learn Chinese, learn about the GEPT, Learn TOEFL and that British test they have too. Testing is the whole end game so jobs like that tend to be more specialized and require some Chinese ability

The best strategy is to be on the ground in the city where you want to work. You need to advertise on job boards (as many as possible) and hand out dozens of resumes. Just walk into schools. A lot of schools that I walked into I had never heard of online.

If you don’t want to live in Taipei then your best bets are TaiChung and Kaohsiung.

This appears to be the dry season for jobs. I saw a lot of jobs advertised (legit jobs and not the standard chain fishing posts) in July, August and early Sept. I’m not sure if it’s going to pick up for CNY or not. It usually does but it seems that a lot of schools prefer to hire in the summer.

Thanks guys. What other boards would be good to advertise on besides Tealit.com?

And Abacus, I know this season is relatively low compared to the summer, but I hear on forums it’s decent in terms of oppurtunities within that 1 week before CNY. No?

[quote=“wayne1523”]Thanks guys. What other boards would be good to advertise on besides Tealit.com?

And Abacus, I know this season is relatively low compared to the summer, but I hear on forums it’s decent in terms of oppurtunities within that 1 week before CNY. No?[/quote]

104tutor.com.tw/dsp_tu_list. … m=Header02