Job Hunting

Having thought about it for a long time, i decided to write this post.

First of all, i need to clarify that i am a local, not sure the post is proper to be put here, if not, pls mob just remove it.

I quit the college some time ago, and have been looking for a job, either a part- or a full-time.

Frankly, my first priority would be a workplace filled with Eng atmosphere, where one can really work out a conversation in Eng. I’m pretty willing to learn new things, so difficulties won’t be much a problem. =P

Moreover, i am planning to study abroad after few years, and earlier preparation might be helpful.

Any advice will be grateful. =)

Generally speaking, foreign employers are not very interested in what YOU want. They want to know what you can offer them.

You want money, a place to practise English, and to learn something. What do you do to justify your salary? Why should anyone spend their time teaching you or practising English with you? You intend to leave after a few years, so you’re not going to be here once you become a fluent skilled member of the team. Do you see the problem with this?

I suggest you write an introduction to yourself explaining what your skills are and what your experience is. Make potential employers know what you can give them, instead of only talking about what you want.

Also talk about what kind of job you want to do. What fields are you interested in? People want to know that you will be interested in your job.

Also, this forum is just for talking about legal stuff. You should try the Business and Money forum, or maybe the Teaching English forum - people there can advise you on how to apply for jobs.

And if you take some time to join in some other conversations here, it will give people a chance to get to know something about you. Maybe put a link in your signature line to your message.

Well done for deciding to post this here, by the way. It shows original and practical thinking. People like that.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Loretta”]Generally speaking, foreign employers are not very interested in what YOU want. They want to know what you can offer them.

You want money, a place to practise English, and to learn something. What do you do to justify your salary? Why should anyone spend their time teaching you or practising English with you? You intend to leave after a few years, so you’re not going to be here once you become a fluent skilled member of the team. Do you see the problem with this?

I suggest you write an introduction to yourself explaining what your skills are and what your experience is. Make potential employers know what you can give them, instead of only talking about what you want.

Also talk about what kind of job you want to do. What fields are you interested in? People want to know that you will be interested in your job.

Also, this forum is just for talking about legal stuff. You should try the Business and Money forum, or maybe the Teaching English forum - people there can advise you on how to apply for jobs.

And if you take some time to join in some other conversations here, it will give people a chance to get to know something about you. Maybe put a link in your signature line to your message.

Well done for deciding to post this here, by the way. It shows original and practical thinking. People like that.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

First thanks for the reply, and I think I didn’t make it clear enough.

My point is just simple, I only wish to learn the experience and skill through a job, like an apprentice. Because since I am no longer in the college, I want to arrange my life on my own, even just give it a try. A job like most of the college student, maybe in a coffee shop, a small restaurant, or a store, but rather than that is a place where I have the chance to speak Eng. I can’t say my Eng is the best, but at least I have strong confidence with it.

That’s the reason i left a post here, for a try. Although I didn’t expect much of it, hesitated to write as I’ve mentioned.

Anyway, thanks again, I’ll rethink about this idea.

p.s. a link to my signature? I made it on my own.

Does it have to be in Taiwan? For example, if you’re under 25, I think Australia and New Zealand each offer one-year working holiday visas.

If it does have to be in Taiwan, then…aren’t there bars and restaurants where foreigners often congregate? You could apply to places like that. Or were you thinking of more of a career-type job? (Hard to come by these days, I know.)

You want somebody to pay you to practise English? Why would they do that?

Businesses hire people so that they can make more money. Somebody with no skills, no experience, and no interest in their job… they’re not usually good employees. Taiwanese companies hire people like this, because that is what they are used to. But foreigners have different expectations. If you want to work in an English-speaking environment then you need to start thinking like a foreigner.

Make a list of the things you can contribute.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Does it have to be in Taiwan? For example, if you’re under 25, I think Australia and New Zealand each offer one-year working holiday visas.

If it does have to be in Taiwan, then…aren’t there bars and restaurants where foreigners often congregate? You could apply to places like that. Or were you thinking of more of a career-type job? (Hard to come by these days, I know.)[/quote]
Jesus got my point, I’ve thought about it as well, but right now I have my personal reason that incapable to move there.

Isn’t it under the lmt 30? That’s what I read before.

I’m considering those places too, it’s not easy to get, but I’ll still try my luck.

[quote=“Loretta”]
You want somebody to pay you to practise English? Why would they do that?[/quote]
When did i ever say that? my point is just to find such opportunity that may be offered in local. I never ask anyone to pay me to practice Eng, but to find a likely place just on my own.

[quote=“Loretta”]Businesses hire people so that they can make more money. Somebody with no skills, no experience, and no interest in their job… they’re not usually good employees. Taiwanese companies hire people like this, because that is what they are used to. But foreigners have different expectations. If you want to work in an English-speaking environment then you need to start thinking like a foreigner.

Make a list of the things you can contribute.[/quote]
I can’t have much to contribute since i am still manage to study and learn, except that all i have is the willing to do and to learn, and others wouldn’t be much helpful to contribute. One very thing i can hardly understand is, there’re still many who lack of work experience, and how on earth do we ever get it if all the employers just want hiring the experienced but not providing the chance!? Maybe you’re going to tell me that’s how the way a business runs, but the truth is, i don’t mean to get a job from a big company.

There’s a point i don’t agree with, Taiwanese enterprises only hire people who only fit their interests, otherwise I could have got a job rather easy.

Anyway

Thanks for all the replies, and I’d like to stop the post at this point, if you still do have any word, please, send me a private message, appreciate.