Job offer teaching

From previous thread:

Hey everyone,

If i marry my Taiwanese partner, is it correct to assume i can get a visa that allows for open work rights? I’m currently studying for my bachelor’s degree, however, if i could just get a decent paying job that doesn’t require a degree i obviously don’t want to waste my time studying if i can just move over to Taiwan sooner.

I’m Australian, in my early twenties, and am a university student.

What advice can you guys give me?

Thanks

Edit:

Okay so i just got a job offer in Taichung on the premise i’d get the JFRV. The job is 20 hours a week. What do you guys reckon?

FIFY and it is right.

What does FIFY mean?

-Get your Bachelor’s degree. Your future self will thank you.

-Early 20s is a bit young to get married (and couples who get married that young don’t have the best success rate). Are you 100% sure she’s the one?

3 Likes

Yes. No worries about that.

Fixed It For You

Thanks

Fixed It For You

and, complete your study, unless you are really talented or have extraordinary skills.

If you plan on ever going back to Australia, which i’m sure you will after working here for a few years(cultural clashes; no red rock deli chips here!) get your bachelor degree. Teaching English might sound fun in the beginning, but you might regret it after a few years…

Just imagine if i did not return to Australia, would i regret it? Not saying i won’t return but would i regret it in that scenario?

YES!..why? because.

.http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201808270028.aspx

The Tl;DR,
It will be hard for you to retire comfortably in Taiwan with average teaching English wages (60,000-70,000 NTD).

Furthermore, the honeymoon excitement living in and exploring TW dies pretty quick (4 months). Once you get back into routine life you notice alot is missing in TW especially for a foreigner.

If it’s a bachelor in creative writing or gender studies I’m pretty sure you’re safe quitting right now.

3 Likes

It’s in international business. Don’t know if that means anything in Taiwan or not.

But any kind of bachelor’s degrees from accredited schools may be beneficial for ordinary foreigners in any countries.

Sounds worth finishing.

There’s a reason why 20-30 year olds are flocking to Australia on working holiday visas with a sizeable sample size trying their best to stay; some food for thought.

Why doesn’t your partner stay with you in Aus instead? Just curious.

1 Like

I can’t recall if I’ve already said this in this thread or its doppelganger, but another problem with failing to complete a degree is at some point you’re going to have to explain to an interviewer why.

4 Likes

“I found I actually knew more than the course lecturers, really just a waste of my time”

4 Likes

We both like the lifestyle and environment more in Taiwan. As odd as that may sound to some.

Even if you do manage to secure an ARC without a Bachelor’s, a lack of a degree will eventually come back to bite you down the line and your career will be pretty stagnant or blocked off without it.

You’re in your early 20s. You don’t trust your fiancé to wait for you to finish your degree? Just get it done.

2 Likes