Job offered, should I?

I just interviewed this morning for a school, but aside from their website it is next to impossible to get any info on this place. I’m wondering if it is a good or bad thing. It must be good that there are no bad remarks, but maybe it’s bad because they are too small for anyone to notice.

The job is 60k/month plus accommodation with the option of getting my own place.

I have found a few people on facebook and linkedin that claim to work at the school, but they have yet to respond thus far. I’m just wondering what a lack of info on the school could mean in this situation.

I also have offers from Hess and Kojen presently. Should I play it safe?

All the people who know the dirt on this school, who have been burned by this school, have moved on and not bothered to post together in a central, public place about their experience.

Good or bad, your experience with the school, with Taiwan, and with your life, will depend on your attitude and how you deal with whatever is thrown at you.

That being said, if you want to find out information about a particular school, you’ll have to actually tell someone the name of the place.

I posted about a year ago asking about “Global Kids English School” and nobody knew about them then either…

The point was whether a lack of info was a good or bad sign in other people’s experience/opinion. I am not confident that anybody would know about this place, given my previous experience described in my post right above. :no-no:

The point was whether a lack of info was a good or bad sign in other people’s experience/opinion. I am not confident that anybody would know about this place, given my previous experience described in my post right above. :no-no:[/quote]

IMO, no news is good news. People tend to post about negative experiences rather than positive ones. However, this is not a scientific study :laughing:

The point was whether a lack of info was a good or bad sign in other people’s experience/opinion. I am not confident that anybody would know about this place, given my previous experience described in my post right above. :no-no:[/quote]

Assume that everyone else in business is out to screw you. Never trust anything from a new face. Contracts are scantly enforced pieces of paper from the foreigner’s side (What are you going to do? Sue them in a foreign court on a teacher’s salary?). You’ll want to read your contract carefully to make sure that you’re not submitting to ridiculous demands (mandatory unpaid work, penalties for incomplete contracts, poorly explained garnished wages, etc.). Then, secretly gather enough leverage about the company to control the situation in case it turns sour (i.e. have legitimate means of threatening its profitability).

Smaller places have more relaxed management, so they’re a better choice from that perspective. Large companies usually fund more useless bureaucrats than anything, and they’re seasoned in screwing employees. Of course, if they’re kindergartens, you can always make routine raid calls. With social networking and a few friends, you could target a school pretty regularly.

Cram school position or kindy position?
Kindy jobs have a much higher turnover rate IMHO. $60k sounds like kindy at a no-name private English school. The reason you can’t reach any of the kindy teachers at this school is probably because they’ve moved on.

How’s the school’s location? Have you talked to ANY English teachers at the school? What’s your working hours? Is the accommodation shared or private?

Kindy jobs are also more high pressure vs buxiban-walk-in-walk-out jobs.

Remember they will hold your ARC. Make sure you trust them before you accept their offer.