Job offers!

Hello All,

I have just been offered two contracts, one in Taiwan at a public school English Village, and one In pubic schools in Korea(EpiK). I am definitely leaning towards Taiwan, partly due to the the problems Korea is having with the north…my mom would drive me insane with her worrying, and partly because it seems like a nicer environment to work in.

I have read all about the teaching environment in each country, and I know they both have their pros and cons. It does not bother me that keeping the children entertained is as important as the teaching aspect. I am currently working at a private school in the states where I am only teaching one class a week, and doing other duties that have nothing to do with teaching…so this is probably a step up! lol My pay is also comparable to what I would make in both countries.

I am just asking for any input in the matter…If I could be making a mistake,if maybe I should consider Korea over Taiwan, or whatever else anyone might add to help. Thanks to all!

Go to Korea. Taiwan’s awful. People speak with food in their mouths and kick your seat in the cinema here.

I will always prefer Taiwan over Korea.
Here you can learn Chinese which is spoken by 1.200 000 000 + 24 000 000 people.

really? I have heard they are ruder in Korea. My brother lived in Taiwan 10 years ago, and he liked it fine. I think maybe I would have to put up with rudeness in either country, which stinks! Thank you for the input jimipresley, I will definitely keep it in mind before I decide.

It was a joke, blackcat! :smiley: I’ve never been to Korea, but from what I’ve been told, Taiwan is WAY nicer.

Haha funny jimi! I am probably taking the Taiwan offer, just a little freaked out about the Big change… and looking for some input before I go. Glad to know people who are over there still have kept have kept there sense of humor. Thanks for the help! @ Hamlet, yeah hoping to learn mandarin too, or as least as much as my little brain can hold! lol

I think he meant that people were kicking his seat in the cinema here.
The problem here is that Taiwanese people can be very discriminating. And it’s a sad thing to say; look into the mirror and if yous see someone young and white and pretty/handsome, you’ll have a good time here. If you, however, are getting old, ugly, fat, black you will face some discrimination here. Not all people here are like this, but a few of those are enough to make your live miserable.

Dude, I’m old, ugly and fat and have never faced an iota of discrimination here. You want discrimination? Go to Korea. Or change your name to Kim, Lee or Park.

thanks for that Hamlet. I’m 44, hopefully that is not considered old over there. I have kept myself in fairly decent shape,and look a little younger than my age. I am a big american with a small belly, but not fat. Guess I will see what they think when I get there. lol You are a funny Dude Jimi! haha

In which city is your Taiwan job offer, blackcat?

Toayuan. Yeah I know, not too nice, but close to Taipei. Know anything about the English Village there? I think I know the scoop, and don’t see what they have me do as being unreasonable ,or very difficult at all. Pay is fairly decent too. I work hard, and keep my mouth shut so i think I will be fine.

[quote=“blackcat54”]Hello All,

I have just been offered two contracts, one in Taiwan at a public school English Village, and one In pubic schools in Korea(EpiK). [/quote]
And you’re contemplating Taiwan??? :loco: :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“divea”][quote=“blackcat54”]Hello All,

I have just been offered two contracts, one in Taiwan at a public school English Village, and one In pubic schools in Korea(EpiK). [/quote]
And you’re contemplating Taiwan??? :loco: :p[/quote]

I am a little crazy, so yes! :unamused: Actually it sounds better to me than Korea

That’s about my age. I am always concerned here about my look and trying to get away with lying about my age. The thing is if you post your real age on your on-line resume, you won’t get many responses. And if you post the wrong age, you better look good and have some good explanation for doing it.

Just look at some of the ads. Looking for teacher under age of 30. It’s against the law here in Taiwan and they are still doing it.

Taoyuan! :astonished: What sort of salary are they offering? What sort of hours? It’s only 40 minutes away from Taipei, so could be worse. Are you married? Kids? Party girl/boy? Homebody? Into sports/exercise? Clubbing? Pubs? How long do you plan to stay in Taiwan for? What’s your prime motivation for coming here?

Sorry to pry with so many questions, but it’s easier to help out with more clarification. :wink:

[quote=“jimipresley”]Taoyuan! :astonished: What sort of salary are they offering? What sort of hours? It’s only 40 minutes away from Taipei, so could be worse. Are you married? Kids? Party girl? Homebody? Into sports/exercise? Clubbing? Pubs? How long do you plan to stay in Taiwan for? What’s your prime motivation for coming here?

Sorry to pry with so many questions, but it’s easier to help out with more clarification. :wink:[/quote]

They are offering me 60,800, plus 5000NT a month for an apartment. Plenty for me. i am single, no kids, don’t party much anymore. Would like to find a nice girl, but that is not my main goal. I like sports but watching them on TV works best for me.) As long as I can find a gym to exercise occasionally I will be fine, plus the school has a track…Motivation…need a change, have always wanted to work and teach overseas, learn Mandarin, save some money to pay off some of my bills that have accumulated while working for crap pay here, Hate my present job, etc…Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it! :bow:

Oh yes 8-4, Monday through Friday

Sounds like a sweetish deal to me. :thumbsup:

Cool, thanks a lot Jimi! :bravo:

blackcat54, sounds good to me. It might work.