Job opportunities for a Norwegian

Hello everyone!

I’m a 24 year-old Norwegian who is in Taipei on an exchange semester which ended this month. I graduated from my masters in August 2014 from a UK university.
I’m looking for job opportunities in Taiwan, and I’ve heard that it’s pretty difficult. And I’m finding it difficult.

What I want is to get a company job. I’ve been learning Chinese since October, but it is still pretty bad and limited to speaking and reading pin yin.
So I would have to get a job that doesn’t require Chinese fluency.
I was thinking of getting an English teaching job as a backup while I’m looking for a company job. However, I’ve heard that I can’t get a working visa for English teaching if I’m not from an English speaking country. My English is fluent from 6 years in English taught education, so I know I could teach. I also heard of people of non-English speaking countries who teach and do the visa jumping thing, i.e. working without working visa.

I registered at 104 and 1111 earlier this week, and I hope I’ll get lucky there.
Do you guys have any advice on this matter? Are there any other efficient ways of going about this job hunt?
Perhaps you guys know of any Norwegian companies that are based in Taiwan?
Or I would be interested to hear if any of you have been in a similar situation and successfully got a job here.

Anyways, thank you very much for any help and advice! :slight_smile:

What’s your major at University? That would help us a lot.
104 and 1111 are your best bets. I work in the tech industry and I’ve found all my jobs through those. There’s a new one called yes123.

Does Norway have a diplomatic mission in Taiwan? I was unable to find it on this list.
If there is such an office in Taiwan, ask them for a list of businesses from your country operating in Taiwan. They may or may not give it to you depending on how they’re feeling. That’s because young jobseekers are small chips to them. It took me a few attempts to get it from my country’s trade office.

Thanks for your reply andyj.
I majored in entrepreneurship & innovation.
I’ve been in touch with the Taipei representative office in Norway, but they didn’t give a list or anything. They just mentioned a few companies and passed on my resume.
I tried contacting those companies, but haven’t gotten any response. Perhaps I should walk into the office or something (despite how awfully awkward that is).

I was in a similar situation to you and luckily after graduation I quickly managed to find a job through 104 (my Chinese at the time was very limited as well). I didn’t have much luck with 1111. One tip I can give is to scour the 104 site for any jobs you might fancy. Then besides applying through 104, if there is an email address of a contact person listed by the ad, send them a short and polite email with your resume attached. If there is no email address do some research of the company online and look for an email address of the HR department, Sales Manager, or even CEO. Then write them a short email that you saw the ad on 104 for that position… bla bla bla. Remember to include a Taiwanese address and telephone number in your CV so that they know you are in Taiwan and able to meet them in person on short notice. You’ll be surprised most companies will be impressed by your initiative and it is less intrusive then barging through the door.

Probably from reading other posts here on this forum you will realize finding a job at an International or European company will be difficult, simply because you don’t have much work experience and they don’t know you. Most expats at international companies have first worked for that company a few years before being sent overseas. For a Taiwanese or Asian company your value will be a lot higher so finding a job at one of these companies will be much more likely, albeit pay and working conditions arguably a lot lower. Last tip, don’t stop learning Chinese. Even basic levels of Chinese will increase your chances of finding a job here. Good luck!

You should probably invest the money to go to a few Amcham and European chamber social events. Let people know you are looking for a job and ask them what they would do. You should probably also sign up for Startup Digest Taipei and plug into the nascent startup scene here.

You can use 104.com.tw etc by plugging in English words like Norway, ‘writer’, ‘Swedish’ (sorry), ‘Marketing Europe’, ‘Project Europe’ and other key English words that can help you identify potential jobs. Even though you don’t speak Chinese, it really helps to have a resume in Chinese. The HR people who screen the applications will thank you and remember you better.

Because you have an MA, you don’t need two years of work experiece. You do need to find someone who will pay you at least NT$48k though since that is the general minimum salary for sponsoring a work permit. Good luck!

Thanks dondada and Feiren. Those are some great advice.
I guess persistence and patience are key. If I keep my head up and keep going, I will eventually find something.

Hej Petter,

Har du fundet dig et job ?

Martin

[quote=“Kaalund”]Hej Petter,

Har du fundet dig et job ?

Martin[/quote]

Hei Martin,

Nei, desverre. Har ikke funnet meg jobb…
Jeg har vært på flere intervjurunder til forskjellige bedrifter, men har ikke blitt ansatt.

Jobber du i Taiwan?

I know you definitely have your reasons but why would anyone leave a country where people earn the highest salary in the world to a place notorious for shittiest wages and employers?

Bliv ved med at led Petter, det skal nok lykkes.

Keep on looking, if you get interviews, then sooner or later…

Hej Petter,

Ja jeg jobber her paa Taiwan.

Har du kigget paa 104 ? Det er en jobside.

Martin