Job prospects for a certified teacher?

I’m finishing up a year teaching in Korea, and planning on moving to Taiwan in September. I’ve got a degree in Secondary English Education and a state teaching certificate. I’m wondering how the job prospects are for certified teachers, since I heard jobs for people with random degrees are fairly unavailable. Anyone able to share some information would be highly appreciated :slight_smile:

I would think that you are arriving in Taiwan at the worst possible time. September means that the new school year has already begun and many schools have already fulfilled all their hiring needs. The school where I am working hires only certified teachers and has just completed all hiring for the 2013-2014 school year. Granted, there may be opportunities at schools where the overseas-hired foreign teacher doesn’t show, or does a runner, but I think you’re leaving it a bit late to start job hunting.

Are you referring to international schools or public schools? I imagine that the hiring window for international schools would be shorter than for public schools since there are fewer international schools, and therefore, fewer teachers to hire.

I don’t mind being an English Language teacher at a public school. I actually may prefer it. I currently work at a hagwon in Korea and teaching EFL is enjoyable to me.

You can find a job at a public school no problem. The international schools hiring processes are more organized, and the public schools much less so. Many schools still don’t have teachers when the school year starts, so coming in September shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

My bad, I was talking about international schools where teachers teach in the area that they are certified and not the drudgery of public school English teaching…

I don’t think you need to apologize. The OP didn’t exactly say what he was looking for. Sounds like the OP is new to teaching or recently graduated. Coming to Taiwan and teaching English in a public school would be a good way for him/her to get started here. After some more time to get burnt out on English teaching or just more experience and if he/she is enjoying Taiwan and decides to stay longer.

I don’t think you need to apologize. The OP didn’t exactly say what he was looking for. Sounds like the OP is new to teaching or recently graduated. Coming to Taiwan and teaching English in a public school would be a good way for him/her to get started here. After some more time to get burnt out on English teaching or just more experience and if he/she is enjoying Taiwan and decides to stay longer.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve been in Korea for a year teaching EFL and I really enjoy teaching EFL, which is why I’m definitely willing to teach in a public school. I’m moving to Taiwan to be closer to my parents, since my dad is living in Taichung now.

Why do you say the drudgery of public school English teaching? I figured it may be a step above Korea, since you need to be a certified teacher.

I don’t think you need to apologize. The OP didn’t exactly say what he was looking for. Sounds like the OP is new to teaching or recently graduated. Coming to Taiwan and teaching English in a public school would be a good way for him/her to get started here. After some more time to get burnt out on English teaching or just more experience and if he/she is enjoying Taiwan and decides to stay longer.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve been in Korea for a year teaching EFL and I really enjoy teaching EFL, which is why I’m definitely willing to teach in a public school. I’m moving to Taiwan to be closer to my parents, since my dad is living in Taichung now.

Why do you say the drudgery of public school English teaching? I figured it may be a step above Korea, since you need to be a certified teacher.