Job prospects for fiance of Taiwanese citizen


I am a Taiwan citizen. Born in Taiwan but raised in USA. In a few years, I’m thinking about moving back to Taiwan as my parents are aging. My fiance is a special ed teacher in the US. She has 2 master degrees. One in special education and another in school administration. She is excited about the prospect of one day living in Taiwan with me. We will be married by then so I’m hoping she won’t have many work pemit or residence issues.

What kind of jobs can she expect to get? I know she can go the English Teaching route but I’m hoping she can do a little better than that. eg. working in an International school.

Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance.


I doubt international schools would have positions for special ed teachers, and she has to be fluent in Mandarin to work at the administration. I know someone taught English conversation classes in my local university, the work load was light and the pay was NT60000 monthly. He didn’t even have a maters degree. The university is located in central Taiwan, so getting an easy dollar teaching job with less qualification is more possible. It maybe a different story in big cities. The job market has been very competitive since early 2000, a lot of oversea educated Taiwanese fight for less pay and less qualification required jobs. The average wage has been depressing low so for a native English speaking person, teaching English is probably the only choice.
On the other hand, if the economy picks somehow by the time you get in, you may see a totally different job market.

Thank you so much for the reply and explanation. We won’t be doing this for a few years. But you gave us something to think about. BTW, she can also teach general education, right?

In a few years, your fiancee could pick up a certification for a specialized subject that’s in demand at Taiwanese international schools (science, mathematics, etc.).

You might want to ask someone else what it takes to teach in the education departments at universities here?

You don’t “pick up” a certification in math or science without doing another bachelor’s degree, or at least a major in that subject. It’s a major commitment.

She might do better to concentate on learning good Chinese now, if she doesn’t already speak it. On a spouse visa, she could get work rights and have more prospects. Or, even without much Chinese, she might want to feel around and see if she has any interest in running her own small English after-school program. If you had a spare room in a place in a reasonable location, she could do very well for herself and have a high degree of autonomy as well.

I think she should expect to be teaching English for the first couple of years and then network to find something better and/or more interesting. With a teaching degree she’ll have her choice of English teaching jobs but there aren’t even that many int’l schools as far as I know. Several claim to be but they are more of a bilingual school for high level ESL students that might have lived or been born abroad. And again special ed probably isn’t an in demand field.

Most likely her best job prospects initially will be teaching ESL in the public schools. A teaching degree is required (in anything) so they are constantly looking for teachers since most ESL teachers (including myself) don’t have a teaching degree.

ironlady has another good idea but it’s also full of headaches. If you have the patience to build up the business and put up with parents then it’s a good option.

It’s probably different from state to state: … ification/

It’s probably different from state to state: … ification/[/quote]

Alternate pathways usually require that the prospective teacher has a related bachelors in the subject matter that they want to teach. With my engineering degree I could apply for the alternate pathway to become a math/science teacher and it would probably take 1 yr of university and 1 yr of student teaching. At least that’s how it worked when I was looking into it in WA. As an example someone couldn’t become a math teacher if they had a liberal arts degree.