Job Search Approach

So I’ve just arrived and have started my job search with an open mind and wishful thinking. Ive talked to several people about what to expect and the best way to go about finding a job. Many people say that word of mouth is the best approach and that I should spend a lot of time networking and talking to find job openings. Others have said that pounding the pavement is the best way to search for jobs–going door to door with resume in hand. I have no problem doing either, but wanted to ask for opinions on which might be the better strategy. I am an African-American male with plenty of teaching experience (Korea, the states, volunteer, child care, etc.). I’ve read a lot about how hard it might be for me to find a job and frankly it doesn’t bother me (nor do I really care to read about/hear any opinions on the matter), but I don’t want to ruin a good chance at landing employment by prancing into a prospective school and handing over my resume, only to have it put at the bottom of the pile. My resume is pretty good (I think) and I think it would stand out with some of the best.

What do you think: Walk-in smiling, or send a shining resume? Combination of both?
Thanks in advance.

Do both.

…especially if you’re African-American!