Jobs and Life After Taiwan

Hi!

Just as a thank you to forumosa community for all the advice, support, random encounters and diversion (I’m looking at you Cycling forum: just get a road bike!) over the years, I want to let people know that I have successfully been able to go back to my home country (England) and get a job. Most importantly, that my experience (from age 26-32) teaching in Taiwan, Korea and China HAS been useful and HAS helped me get jobs!

It’s all about the way you spin it in applications and in interviews. For example, I’ve often got questions in interviews as to have I ever been in a situation where I have been out of control (how did I deal with it, etc). I told them about a time I was teaching during an earthquake. Bam! They loved it! I’ve been told it is the best answer they have heard to an interview question, the best interview, etc.

I have had a lot of advice and support from friends, the Job Centre and the Careers Guidance service who have given me money, helped pay the rent and have helped me write my CV. I’ve had a job teaching in a high school (which I quit!) and several offers. I’m now working in a call centre for a big company and it’s OK for now. It’s pretty good being back in my home country and being one of the crowd.

My advice is save up, spend wisely, apply and wait. The jobs will come but you have to wait, re-write CVs, etc…

Peace and good luck where ever you are.

Tru.

1 Like