Jobs that don't require Chinese language skills

Hello what are the jobs that a foreigner can do in Taiwan that doesn’t require Chinese language.

English teaching is the main one. I’d say 70% of foreigners (at least western ones) can barely put a sentence together in Chinese.

1 Like

Nor in English, apparently.

2 Likes

Modeling

1 Like

Do they really care a lot about your accent? I heard that many schools specifically want teachers with an American accent (by which I suspect they mean Trans-Atlantic as opposed to, say, hillbilly redneck).

Mine is a more neutral variety of an Australian accent, often mistaken for the British RP. I’m tempted to attend an interview with a fake American accent and start off with: “Howdy, cowboy!”

1 Like

There’s always standing at a busy intersection with one of those advertising poles. Don’t need much English to be able to do that.

1 Like

Well, a lot claim to, but they mostly couldn’t tell an “American accent” from Russian if it bit them in the ass.
Instead of saying “bathroom” and “apple”, say “baathroom” and “aaple”. They will be totally convinced of your fluency in the nuanced subtly of American English.

3 Likes

They won’t notice your accent is Australian. Go fir it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is unlikely. RP is quite a posh accent. It’s not a standard Brit accent in terms of demographics.

What’s wrong with the sentence, JP? It reads correctly to me.

1 Like

Should it be string a sentence together?

It was a reference to the OP.

1 Like

Oh, I get it now. Apologies!

1 Like

I think you might be referring to ‘heightened RP’ as opposed to a more contemporary variant of RP.

Also, I’m a lawyer and a PhD. My grandfather was a justice in the Hong Kong Supreme Court.* I’m pretentious as fuck and look down on peasants.

*not true

1 Like

Transatlantic? You mean the made up accent from old time movies in the 1930s?

That’d be fun to just put on the accent for a day and mess with people.

“Now listen here Johnny ain’t got not time for bumping gums. Pull out some lincolns or abyssinia!”

1 Like

I don’t know. I will relate a funny anecdote from my first year teaching in Korea (about 13 years ago now). I had a Scottish friend with a very thick brogue who worked at a buxiban (there it’s called a hagwon) called “America Town.” His director made him conference call and meet with the parents of the students and told him to pretend to be an American if they asked. This dude was as Scottish as haggis, so this always made me laugh. Asking him to pretend to be American was like asking a duck to pretend to be an elephant.

2 Likes

But I think I’m right in asserting that RP is not actually that common an accent in the UK. It’s generally acknowledged that only 3% of the population speak it.

And as for the Queen’s English, only one person speaks that.

As long as you don’t speak like this you will be fine :smiley:

3 Likes

If you are going to Australia like lots of Taiwanese I don’t see what’s the problem.
Is one better off with a US accent there…Definitely not!
Aren’t more Taiwanese going to the UK and Ireland and Canada and Australia than the US now…Especially for working holidays.

People here are up their own arses with the American accent thing…

2 Likes

Agreed, but it is actually a thing, particularly in buxibans. What’s most disconcerting is the Afrikaans South Africans who suddenly adopt what they perceive to be an “American accent”, and then even outside of the classroom, speak English with it. It’s vomit-worthily hideous.
I want to cringe every time I hear a South African saying “I are Cobus from Nelspruit” with a faux “American” accent.

2 Likes