Joe Biden: U.S. President

On that whole “ pay their fair share” trope:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2021/06/02/biden_and_the_1_percent__145853.html

So, the TCJA was not a windfall for the rich, and it did not result in the rich paying less than their fair share of income taxes. It closed loopholes – the largest of which Democrat leadership would like to restore – that primarily benefit wealthy taxpayers. Raising the top tax rate to 39.6% under Obama resulted in the rich paying a smaller share of income taxes than they paid in 2018 under the TCJA. There is certainly no guarantee that they would pay a larger share if Biden repeated Obama’s tax-increase error – particularly if the Democrats start restoring tax loopholes for their wealthy backers

Now someone will attack jdsmith’a position. jdsmith will say he never took a position. Then someone will attack jdsmith for posting an article without explaining himself.

That’s what I’ve learned in my limited time here.

Or, in this incarnation. Who knows?

As for my position wrt the SALT tax. Trump’s changes absolutely made the wealthy pay more. The dems want it taken away, which makes no sense whatsoever if they want the wealthy to pay their fair share. But, they don’t. They want something that looks good but does fuckall.

And I am TOtally willing to explain myself, yet I am rarely asked to do so. :roll_eyes:

Just one point on this - you bring up Cuomo a lot. I have no opinion on the Governor of New York. New York is not the center of the universe even if they think they are. So just suggesting perhaps, most people are not as focused on a state governor.

Do you have any comments on Jared Polis? I wouldn’t expect you to.

I think if you were Stateside and watched his covid show every day and then found out that his commands were instrumental in the deaths of over 10,000 people…it wouldn’t matter who or where he was.

I was until November. The focus was much more on the incompetence of the President dealing with or rather not dealing with the pandemic. I’m sure Cuomo was much more of a focus in some circles.

Day to day, he was a disaster. Getting bigpharma into the game when and how he did worked just fine as it turns out.

Funding pharmaceutical research was good. The rollout of the vaccines was an uncoordinated disaster. There is no coincidence this significantly improved after January.

It’s easy to win a close game in the fourth quarter. Most of the idiocy I noted was at the State level wrt to the rollout. They should have simply sent the doses to CVS and Walgreens and let us get them like a flu shot instead of all the political dickery.

I was highly impressed at how the state of Oregon handled the vaxing process. In and out in forty minutes at the Oregon Convention Center. Lots of people but the lines almost never stopped moving due to the efficient people management process. Last stop the first time thru was to get my appointment for my final Pfizer dose.

Now I wish Taiwan’s government would get its vaxing act together so I can come home.

1 Like

It’s certainly fun that this is the strongest projection argument to distract from the last guy and an actual band of traitors, still traitoring to this day, some would say.

That was quite the right turn in response to Biden pushing for Taiwan to be a part of WHO though. I find this quite fascinating, the visceral reactions to news like this. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I believe the NY AG would say that she hasn’t been distracted one iota.

I missed this. Link?

Are you ok there?

The United States on Friday renewed calls for the World Health Organization’s decision-making body to include Taiwan over China’s objections, pointing to the island’s strong record on fighting Covid.

It may be confusing because it’s from a month ago, but don’t recall seeing it posted here.

I’m not sure what you’re implying. I’m very well, thank you. Alas, being very well doesn’t mean A) that I watch the evening news or B) that I read or am responsible for reading ALL the news everywhere. My wife hasn’t heard a peep about it either from the TW news side. :idunno:

I think it’s great news for Taiwan. Do you think that using Taiwan as a wedge against China is a tool Trump left on the table and Biden picked up? :ponder:

If you saw it then why didn’t YOU post it? :laughing:

Well, I posted the link already, which you yourself replied to yesterday, now you’re asking me for the link again. :rofl:

Guess the Hunter narrative really takes a toll.

I never said I saw it before. I guess the downfall of not obsessing over news 24/7?

There we go!

I think China is something Trump broken-clocked on as a convenient target for his nationalism. Trump would have sold out TW and it was not part of his thought process, even Bolton indicated as much.

Biden seems been much more clear on his message supporting TW’s democracy, and inclusion into the WHO. Good things!

No surprise since Biden never said stuff about Xi like:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-trump-china-idUSKCN1GG015

“He’s now president for life, president for life. And he’s great,”

OK…tell me when something actually comes of it. I’ll wait. :whistle:

Why you think Biden’s blowhardery is somehow better and more cogent than Trump’s “broken clock” blowhardery is beyond me. I don’t much listen to the talk. I’d rather watch the walk.

Again…we shall see. I’m open minded, but I doubt it ever happens. Care to wager a beer on it?

Probably because I pay attention to history.

But I digress, you were the one who brought Trump into the discussion.

I don’t think this is much of a hot take. I’m more concerned with intentions/motivations here, also not buying the equivalency attempts, sorry. Again, I refer you to last 4 years of history, for starters.

As do I.

The game wasn’t even close. The pandemic was at it’s worst with I think 3K -4K/day people dying at that point. The Trump admin spent four years blaming the states for everything that went wrong, and people here argued that the federal government was incapable of doing anything. A centralized federal response was the only way to ever deal with a national crisis.

The Biden showed what centralized government does best and took a logistical mess and turned into the premier vaccine rollout in the world. The rest of the world is now envious at the situation in the US. So no if you look at us going from last place to near the top, I don’t think you can say that was close at all which is why Republicans want to avoid it.