John McCain: War Hero or North Vietnam's Go-To Collaborator?

[quote]“Hero” John McCain as Phony and Collaborator: What Really Happened When He Was a POW? -By ALEXANDER COCKBURN

John McCain’s been getting kid-glove treatment from the press for years, ever since he wriggled free of the Keating scandal and his profitable association – another collaboration, you might say – with the nation’s top bank swindler in the 1980s. But nothing equals the astounding tact with which his claque on the press bus avoids the topic of McCain’s collaborating with his Vietnamese captors after he’d been shot down.

How McCain behaved when he was a prisoner is key. McCain is probably the most unstable man ever to have got this close to the White House. He’s one election away from it. Republican senator Thad Cochrane has openly said he trembles at the thought of an unstable McCain in the Oval Office with his finger on the nuclear trigger.

What if a private memory of years of collaboration in his prison camp gnaws at McCain, and bursts out in his paroxysms of uncontrollable fury, his rantings about “gooks” and his terrifying commitment to a hundred years of war in Iraq. What if “the hero” knows he’s a phony?
Doug Valentine has written the definitive history of the Phoenix Program in Vietnam. He knows about the POW experience. His dad, an Army man, was captured by the Japanese and sent to a POW camp in the Philippines for forced labor. Many of his mates died. Doug wrote a marvelous book about it, The Hotel Tacloban.

Now Valentine has picked up the unexploded bomb lying on McCain’s campaign trail this year. As he points out, he’s not the first. Rumors and charges have long swirled around McCain’s conduct as a prisoner. Fellow prisoners have given the lie to McCain’s claims. But Valentine has assembled the dossier. It’s devastating.

“. . .two weeks into his stay at the Vietnamese hospital, the Hanoi press began quoting him. It was not ‘name rank and serial number, or kill me’. as specified by the military code of conduct. McCain divulged specific military information: he gave the name of the aircraft carrier on which he was based, the number of U.S. pilots that had been lost, the number of aircraft in his flight formation, as well as information about the location of rescue ships.”

“…McCain was held for five and half years. The first two weeks’ behavior might have been pragmatism, but McCain soon became North Vietnam’s go-to collaborator……McCain cooperated with the North Vietnamese for a period of three years. His situation isn’t as innocuous as that of the French barber who cuts the hair of the German occupier. McCain was repaying his captors for their kindness and mercy.[/quote]

Much more here…

counterpunch.org/cockburn04192008.html

counterpunch.org/valentine06132008.html

vietnamveteransagainstjohnmc … anding.htm

I’m going to take a guess and say ‘collaborator’.

He doesn’t cut his toenails directly square, either the dirty bastard.
Really, I can’t be bothered clicking those links. Are they bona fide or just more smears?
A turncoat? Basically a spy? And yet he’s been in politics for all these years but no one could be bothered to spill the beans until now? SUUURE! Well, it COULD happen! It COULD!
God, the stuff some of you people are prepared to believe. :unamused:
Fuck me! When I see some this crap, it really makes me glad you guys are getting either Obama or McCain. You deserve each other, you really do.
Disneyland with big guns and very little brains.

Part of Cockburn’s childhood was spent in Ireland, but he was born in Scotland and received part of his schooling there and part at Oxford. He lived in London for a time and moved to the U.S. when he was about 30 years old, I believe. Got that from Wikipedia.

So I’d say he’s more one of yours than one of ours, sandman. As for who reads him: he’s pretty far on the left, so it’s not likely that the average American is very familiar with his writings. I read a tidbit or two of his stuff in the '90s while building my own castles in the air.

Just as Smith and Schmidt family names indicate ancestors who were blacksmiths, Fletcher for arrowmakers, Cooper for barrelmakers, and Cartwright for, well, cart makers, I think we have to applaud the origins of anyone named Cockburn, a name with medieval origins for those who served as manwhores for the crown in the days before lube.

[quote=“sandman”]And yet he’s been in politics for all these years but no one could be bothered to spill the beans until now? SUUURE! Well, it COULD happen! It COULD!
God, the stuff some of you people are prepared to believe. :unamused:[/quote]
And you could same the same thing about what happened with Kerry. But you didn’t.

[quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“sandman”]And yet he’s been in politics for all these years but no one could be bothered to spill the beans until now? SUUURE! Well, it COULD happen! It COULD!
And you could same the same thing about what happened with Kerry. But you didn’t.[/quote]

I don’t know whether sandman said anything back then (I can’t imagine why he would have–he’s a Scotsman), but I did (I was xp+10K) [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-writer-lied-on-cambodia-claim/11969/12 [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-writer-lied-on-cambodia-claim/11969/14 [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/us-presidential-election-2004-iv/12905/71 and I’m one of those Republicans that y’all folk contemn so much. I also pointed out, though, that the Kerry campaign, or people connected with it, started all that business by slinging mud about Bush’s military service.

[quote=“Charlie Jack”][quote=“Dr. McCoy”][quote=“sandman”]And yet he’s been in politics for all these years but no one could be bothered to spill the beans until now? SUUURE! Well, it COULD happen! It COULD!
And you could same the same thing about what happened with Kerry. But you didn’t.[/quote]

I don’t know whether sandman said anything back then (I can’t imagine why he would have–he’s a Scotsman), but I did (I was xp+10K) [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-writer-lied-on-cambodia-claim/11969/12 [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/swift-boat-writer-lied-on-cambodia-claim/11969/14 [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/us-presidential-election-2004-iv/12905/71 and I’m one of those Republicans that y’all folk contemn so much. I also pointed out, though, that the Kerry campaign, or people connected with it, started all that business by slinging mud about Bush’s military service.[/quote]
That’s totally not true. Bush didn’t ever do any military service.

Here are his flight records (pdf document).

Here are other records pertaining to his military service, including the pdf document linked above (Web page).

This POW-MIA stuff really isn’t getting enough attention and I wish it would get more. I would read up about it, but I am too busy looking at Palin’s boobs.

Okay I won’t be so lazy.

aiipowmia.com/sea/schanberg_mccain.html
vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/
powwarrior.wordpress.com/

Here are his flight records (pdf document).

Here are other records pertaining to his military service, including the pdf document linked above (Web page).[/quote]
It’s been proven that those papers are all forged. See the watermark? No? Nobody can.

Ahhh, I see. Or rather, I don’t see.

Was that a swiftboat I heard?

American politics 101 - throw enough mud and eventually some of it will stick. Grubby, grubby, grubby.

HG

One site seems to believe in equal time:

[quote]Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry is part of the editorial division of the on line
US Veteran Dispatch newspaper.

We need Your HELP to
maintain this web site!
Visit our online store. Purchase our Bumper Stickers, Decals, Pins, Hats. Click on the Sticker![/quote]
usvetdsp.com/jf_kerry.htm

[quote]John McCain:
The Manchurian Candidate connection:
McCain was subjected to 5 ½ years of Soviet driven “brain perversion techniques.”
Is he fit to be President and Commander in Chief of the military?[/quote]
usvetdsp.com/mar08/mccain_manchurian.htm

Hey, the Internet is pretty cool sometimes. I read this a long time ago:

Edit: It’s not that I don’t think people and institutions should ever be scrutinized; I was mainly interested in the Lincoln bit.

Have you ever seen McCain drink a glass of water, Mandrake?

HG

1 Like

the convict marsupial wrote: [quote]Have you ever seen McCain drink a glass of water, Mandrake?[/quote]
Has anyone seen me drink a glass of water? What’s your point?
Christ, I’m trying to think of how many times I’ve seen my dad drink water. I can’t bloody recall one instance; I’ve seen him drink milk and juice (he made a big deal of it) but not water.

Who the hell is Kerry?

Christ, I’m trying to think of how many times I’ve seen my dad drink water. I can’t bloody recall one instance; I’ve seen him drink milk and juice (he made a big deal of it) but not water.[/quote]
He was a POW. He cannot pick up a glass of water.

Christ, I’m trying to think of how many times I’ve seen my dad drink water. I can’t bloody recall one instance; I’ve seen him drink milk and juice (he made a big deal of it) but not water.[/quote]

He is a wise man, or just maybe one of those Kiwi commies . . .

[quote]Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children’s ice cream!..You know when fluoridation began?..1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It’s incredibly obvious, isn’t it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That’s the way your hard-core Commie works.

I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love…Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake…but I do deny them my essence.[/quote]

youtube.com/watch?v=950s0Gs3Yv0

So no one has seen McCain drink water, eh? Hah! They got him alright, got him real good!

HG