Joint Bank Accounts

Joint accounts are great for paying joint expenses.

I used one with the ex in Denmark, worked great. insurance, rent, utilities… each of us put a fixed amount in every month, and all those expenses were paid from that.

We had separate accounts as well, for the liberty thing, and because not-joint expenses were individual matters.

Just talked with the wife… Even she, in thinking back, thought that our ICBC acount was joint…

It seems after looking over things that it was not… My bad!

The account was solely in her name, although I had my own credit cards, etc, with only my names on that accessed that same account. I could still make withdrawals in person at the bank as well, but in case of sole liability it would all be hers…

Crazy isn’t it that married couples can’t have joint accounts… Or maybe this is an inbuilt societal protection for wives in the case where the husband screws around and wants a divorce? She then has sole rights to the money in the account!

Cheers!

Daryl

I agree totally. My wife and I have a joint account back in Australia. Here we have ‘rent’ and ‘household expenses’ accounts. No such thing as ‘mine’ and ‘yours’.