Jonesing for some Curry

If anyone knows where I might find some vegetarian Pakistani or Indian food in Taipei-I would be dually appreciative.
(this my first post)
please respond

I like the vegetarian curry at Curry Champ, a chain. But the vegetarian curry there is based on beef stock and not 100% veggie.

Never heard of Curry champ. Where are they located?

Here’s your Mandarin lesson for the day. Memorize this word:

Gali (pronounced “golly”, as in “gali ji” (“golly gee!”)

“Gali” means “curry”

There’s one below 3C by the Hsingguan tower, and one in Sogo 1 and another by the main Taipei Bank on Chongshan.

Right on… :thumbsup:

Many big supermarkets have packets of real Thai curry mix, not the mild Japanese kind. If it has Thai written all over it, you might be in the right place. These taste as close as a real meal on the beach at Koh Samui without being there. And you can add whatever ingredients you want.

So where’re Hsingguan tower and Sogo 1, and which Chongshan?

So where’re Hsingguan tower and Sogo 1, and which Chongshan?[/quote]

Hsingguan Tower is Taipei’s 2nd biggest building–just go to the Taipei Train Station. 3C is on the West side of the tower if you are facing north. The restaurant is in the basement below 3C (look for the big yellow storefront). Sogo 1 is the first Sogo, and can be reached by the MRT (as the tower can) by stopping at the Fuhsing/Chonghsiao station. The restaurant is on the top floor.

I don’t know the address for the Taipei Bank on Chongshan. It is right past the Ambassador Hotel on the left if you are going toward the Grand Hotel.

The guy said he was looking for Indian/Pakistani veggie curry. Check out the the Indian Restaurant threads and be warned that Thai, Japanese and Chinese currys are all very different. Not bad, but different.

Don’t be fooled, most “curry” places serve that disgusting diarrhetic-looking sauce over a fried pork chop.

Indian curry powder can be bought almost anywhere, so too the ingredients for a simple veggie curry.

Here is a simple recipe.

Fry 1 onion in a little veg oil. Any will do.

Add T chopped garlic. Don’t burn.

Add 2 T curry powder.

Add 4 cups water or stock.

Add 2 chopped potatoes (1" square).

Add veggies by cooking time. Carrots will take longer than peas for example. Cauliflower, Lady’s fingers, and other veggies are all good.

Add juliened ginger.

Add some raisins for sweetness and a little sugar.

Let simmer until until the veggies are cooked and most importantly make sure the potatoes break when pressed with a fork. Your curry should be thickish and not to watery. Add a little flour to thicken things up.

Some quartered tomatoes and juliened bell peppers right at the end.

Season to taste.

Now, go down to your local bien dang place and buy some rice, usually 10NT$ or so. Don’t let them rip you. They sell just rice all the time.

And there you go. Simple and very, very cheap.

For non-veggies, fry a little chicken on the bone with the onions. It makes a delicious South African (Malaysian influenced) curry.

anyone tried the chicken curry in the shida night market? the one on the street served from a huge fuck off vat…it’s pretty epic for NT$70 and has tatties included…i guess it counts as a malaysian style one too

And on that note… there is a very nice Japanese chain near Brother Hotel, on the same side of the street about 300 meters. There are TV ads playing outside constantly.
Warning: Atmoshpere is noisy, with lots of shang4ban1zu2 上班族

Hobart, foxfresh is very much a woman. :slight_smile: She’s my best friend off of this box. :sunglasses:

Yeah, I had that once. Thought it was pretty good – thanks for reminding me to go back.

Curria, on Shida, is Pakistani owned and run. They do vegetarian food. Some people here don’t like it, but I think they’re grand.

If you’re going to make your own - and it can be as simple as boil in the bag - then go to Trinity and buy all the ingredients you need: Taipei City Hall MRT, exit 4, walk about 50 metres reading the signs on the entrances to places with lifts. They’re on the second floor of one of those places. There’s a recent thread about them in the miscellaneous forum.

Alleycat, when are you going to start doing curry at your place?

[quote=“Flicka”]Hsingguan Tower is Taipei’s 2nd biggest building–just go to the Taipei Train Station. 3C is on the West side of the tower if you are facing north. The restaurant is in the basement below 3C (look for the big yellow storefront). Sogo 1 is the first Sogo, and can be reached by the MRT (as the tower can) by stopping at the Fuxing/Chonghsiao station. The restaurant is on the top floor.

I don’t know the address for the Taipei Bank on Chongshan. It is right past the Ambassador Hotel on the left if you are going toward the Grand Hotel.[/quote]

Ta for that. I never bothered to actually check the name of that tower, and I figured the Fuxing Sogo might’ve been the one, but it’s best to be sure.

And I take it from the Chungshan thing that it’s one section of the Taipei City Chungshan then. Again, making sure, since I live walking distance from the Yungho (? Chungho?) Chungshan Rd.

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“Flicka”]Hsingguan Tower is Taipei’s 2nd biggest building–just go to the Taipei Train Station. 3C is on the West side of the tower if you are facing north. The restaurant is in the basement below 3C (look for the big yellow storefront). Sogo 1 is the first Sogo, and can be reached by the MRT (as the tower can) by stopping at the Fuxing/Chonghsiao station. The restaurant is on the top floor.

I don’t know the address for the Taipei Bank on Chongshan. It is right past the Ambassador Hotel on the left if you are going toward the Grand Hotel.[/quote]

Ta for that. I never bothered to actually check the name of that tower, and I figured the Fuxing Sogo might’ve been the one, but it’s best to be sure.

And I take it from the Zhongshan thing that it’s one section of the Taipei City Zhongshan then. Again, making sure, since I live walking distance from the Yonghe (? Chungho (Zhonghe)?) Zhongshan Rd.[/quote]

That should be Taipei’s 2nd TALLEST building, not biggest. Or maybe it is the second biggest as well. It is Chongshan in Taipei. I think 220 or 247 will take you there from the train station.

Hey campers
thank you so much for the replies-I’ll be sure to try out that recipe-it sounds delectable…and not to complain but no one really answere my question about a Vegetarian Indian/ Pakistani restaurant-if someone knows of one again I would greatly appreciate it…
and by the way I am a chick, and another note-Stevezeauthor is the bomb diggity

Is that a good thing? :wink: