Jonesing for some Curry

urbandictionary.com/define.p … mb+diggity

Is that a good thing? :wink:[/quote]

Don’t listen to her. She’s whacked out of her skull. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Can you buy samosas in Taipei?

Most of the Indian restaurants in Taipei seem to have samosas, but not always (sometimes the Himalaya will not have them, for example).

Trinity Superstore on Zhongxiao has frozen samosas for sale. You can do a search for the exact address.

Haven’t seen any samosas in the night markets, though they would make an excellent addition.

Athula the Sri Lankan roti-maker down at Bitan keeps threatening to add them to his menu but he hasn’t yet. I suggest that any of you who are in the habit of going to his stall give him some hassle about doing samosas.

And then

To clarify:

Curria is a restaurant.
It is owned and run by Pakistani people.
They have vegetarian food.
It is on Shi Da Rd in Taipei.
Taoyuan is a shit-hole.

Does that help?

And then

To clarify:

Curria is a restaurant.
It is owned and run by Pakistani people.
They have vegetarian food.
It is on Shi-Da Rd in Taipei.
Taoyuan is a shit-hole.

Does that help?[/quote]

yes, thanks. WIll have to check them out soon. :smiley: Do they do non-veg stuff like Lamb Biryani?

Lamb, chicken, beef. No pork, on account of being muslims, but you can bring beer in.

Go up the lane next to 7-11 on the east side of Shida Rd, and it’s on your left.

I went to the “Hindustan” restaurant tonight. Bleedin’ expensive, small portions, but the food was decent. More of a place to take a date than a place to grab a bite to eat, really.

I don’t have the address, but they are on the east-west alley one block north of the Sherwood Hotel on Minsheng Road, about half a block east of the hotel. North side of the road.

I wasn’t very impressed with Hindustan on my one and only visit either. There’s a thai place next door(ish) that’s pretty good.

May I ask Sandman or anyone else if they know if Athula is open on Sunday evenings? Also, what time does he usually set up shop?

Thanks. Sorry, I was too lazy to do a search of the archives for this info. :blush:

May I ask Sandman or anyone else if they know if Athula is open on Sunday evenings? Also, what time does he usually set up shop?

Thanks. Sorry, I was too lazy to do a search of the archives for this info. :blush:[/quote]
Athula usually sets up at around 4pm and stays open until around 10:30.
He’s there every day except Monday.

Thanks. Thinking about heading down that way this Sunday.

Bringing the Curry thread back from the Dead.

Went to Janny’s Curry house (off an alley near the end of YongKang St, you’ll be led by neon signs) and left rather dissapointed. I went on a whim, as I live near there, and saw many ads and favorable local reviews placed on their front porch. From time to time, they appear to operate near full capacity… but don’t by the Hype!

While the interior had the smell of an Indian restaurant, the food was anything but. My lamb curry tasted more like lamb stew. The curry flavor was ultra-mild, almost non-existant. It was reheated (prolly from the microwave) as the inside was cold and outside was hot and developed a liquid “skin” on the outer ring of the curry. Not bad, but there were no distinctive flavors, and it was surely not curry. I’ve had more satisfying curries from cheap Thai restaurants for 100NT. I couldn’t tell if they were an Indian/Malaysian/Thai/Japanese style curry house but it didn’t matter - I still couldn’t tell after eating it.

The veggie curry was even worse. It had ingredients like Taro, green beans, okra, but didn’t really seem to come together or have a theme too it. Like the lamb curry, the curry taste was ultra mild and nearly indiscernable.

While the overall meal wasn’t horrible, it wasn’t good enough to get my business again. I felt the taste and quality is comparable to 100NT curries, however its over twice the price here.

Until Janny decides they want to make some “real” curry (be it japanese/Thai/Indian/Malay whatever) , I won’t be back.

Janny’s has been around for years, and you’re right. It’s mediocre stuff. That Green Curry place on Yongkong (with the balcony) is also bad. Stay away!

I recently discovered one that was slightly better than Janny’s, but a lot cheaper:

Sour Time Curry
#16 Lane 66, Roosevelt Rd. Sec. 2, Taipei. 2321-1616.
This is Sri Lankan style curry, which is a lot blander than its Indian counterpart. A set meal costs only NT$100.

Go out Guting MRT Exit 7. Lane 66 is the first alley after you surface.

I’ve yet to find good Indian food in Taipei: it’s all bad. And forget about southern, which is by far the best regional variety. (I may be a bit biased because I lived in Madras for two years). Athula in Bitan does make excellent rottis, but they are ‘Taiwanicized’. Still, it’s the best you’re going to find in Taipei.

I agree. There’s nowhere that I really love, here.

I have never been to India, but I do miss Indo-English style curries a lot.

curries in england are the best in the word.

and coming from me, a foodie from sydney which is blessed with its own excellent Indian, SriLankan and Pakistani food, that’s saying a lot…

And Manchester’s are the best in England. :frowning: homesick

To answer the original post question,
Aaleja is the best India/Pakistan food I’ve had in Taipei, in that the flavor of the fare hasn’t been “localized.” The chef is Pakistani. The food is hearty and they will ask you the level of spice you want for your curry dishes. I have been there several times and a dinner for 2 generally runs between $NT 800- $1,200 depending on what we order (the shrimp main dish really hurts the wallet). Added bonus is a picture menu along with short English descriptions of the fare

And yes, there are plenty of vegetarian dishes/curries

It’s in the Chung Hsiao East Rd. sec. 4 area; a review and the full address can be found at:
taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003322819