šŸ„‹ Judo - Coach puts a child in coma

Thatā€™s the tragic part

Keelhaulingā€¦

1 Like

Similar to the sadism found throughout Japanese culture

1 Like

Nope, the saddest part of all this is that the boyā€™s uncle was there, took a video of it all happening but didnā€™t step in. (The video thatā€™s online.)

Equally sad is the second child, the one instructed to keep throwing the kid. So young to have assisted in the death of a small child. Thatā€™ll be with him for life. If itā€™s not already affecting him when he was back in school.

Poor child, what happened was so maddening 'cos it was avoidable. Tragedy.

My guess, the ā€œinstructorā€ lost his temper. Because of the culture, no one stepped in to correct the ā€œlaoshiā€.

Iā€™ve taught kids that age in the past. I just canā€™t imagine a grown man throwing a kid, again and again. Madnessā€¦and everyone around just watched and listened.

The way itā€™s described, judoā€¦training, throwing etc, etc. Call it what it really was, he was beaten to death, frightened and screaming for help.
And no one around him was willing to say or do anything.

10 Likes

In this kind of situation it is hard to say its simply avoidable. In reality, it was nearly intentional. I hope the instructor gets real jail time as that type of psychpathy needs a break from being around the publicā€¦the families of that boy, and everyone in attendance, are probably all ricked to the core. And yes, to think the uncle stood by. He will/should be destroyed for life. So sad :frowning:

5 Likes

Criminal I believe
The child has now died

1 Like

The uncle should shut the f up. Maybe not legally but morally he is also guilty imo. Who just stands there and films their nephew get kicked to death?

I would never talk to that ā€œbrotherā€ again.

3 Likes

To play devils advocate it can be hard to know what damage is being done. Reality is this is a violent sport that involves abusing othe people physically. He may very well be incredibly ignorant as to what is happening and think its all part of martial arts. It obviously isnt, butā€¦

I agree, he is probably black listed on CNY for a bit, but the fault isnt his. Much like someone in Kaohsiung dies of lung cancer living next o a chemical plant. The fault isnt ours, who buy the chemicals. Technically. But in reality we could have easily prevented it by not allowing such a pollution in our city/country etc. Everything is like this, where is the line?

27 throws. Again, and again, and again. The child is begging for it to stop. Uncle just keeps making his video. Child is 7 years old.

27 throws. Uncle was afraid of embarrassing himself infront of everyone by stepping in and saying something?

27 times, being thrown over someoneā€™s back and hitting the mat. Seven years old.

Uncle makes a video.

6 Likes

Yup, pretty bad. This reminds me of a conversation here about the difference between usa and taiwan in regards to the publics obligation to intervene and help when deemed necessary. i think it was usaā€¦? I forgot the law names, but basically this always happens in taiwan. So many car accidents have the first few cars that werent involved speed away, then a circle of onlookers. Its really quite amazing. But it also stems from the reality of being sued or screwed for sonething you didnt do, which is common. Not saying the uncle is in this bracket, but the culture seems to have evolved this way and stemmed outwards.

Did he cause it? No.

Could he have prevented it? Yes.

And the law says?

I feelfor the family that uncluncle would be divorce from my fmily for sure. No one would agree its right. But then, Boxing class is all wronwrong too, Just no one cares if no one gets seriously hurt.

To be fair, I refused to watch the whole video. Saw a section, too depressing and instead just read about it.

I dont need to watch Earthlings to know animal cruelty is wrong. Disturbs me.

1 Like

Good samaritan laws. Taiwan isnā€™t entirely that bad though. People are generally helpful in those situation, maybe itā€™s different for waiguoren though.

Ahh thanks, thats the word.

There are certainly people here that help. but i have never seen a place where so many people avoid helping and keep driving away. Most the accidents i see are taiwanese, not foreigners.

1 Like

Itā€™s part of a pattern of hundreds of kids murdered or seriously injured. Read for yourself

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Alarm-in-Japan-for-child-judo-deaths-20425.html

More than 40 Taiwan kids have been murdered or seriously injured in judo class

These are not outliers
They are part of a pattern.

And Japanese tv shows glorify sadistic rituals for someone wanting promotion or to join a group

1 Like

Toughening a kid up by breaking them down is definitely a thing. But the point is to build them up after. He took it way too far. There is a line between training someone that way and abuse.

1 Like

Bystander apathy is the norm in Chinese culture.

Twice in Taiwan Iā€™ve seen a small woman getting a beat down from a man or big woman and I interceded after stepping thru a circle of gawkers all filming it on cellphones

1 Like

Buddhism - be at peace with doing nothing rather than something
Christianity - be a Good Samaritan and do something

Societal undercurrents

I now live in a white Christian part of USA. My young TW wife was having heart trouble and I started walking her across an empty parking lot to the car, her leaning on me. Little one by my side. Wife didnā€™t make it to the car. Halfway there she gassed out and landed in a heap. Before her butt hit the pavement out of nowhere came no less than 5 hillbillies there to help.

Kitty Genovese might have lived a long life if surrounded by such people

3 Likes

The good thing about so many cameras everywhere is that its harder to get blamed as the abuser when you step in to help. this used to be a massive problem, especially in domestic violence issues. Its still a problem, but gets resolved better than before usually from what i have seen.

Thanks for pointing out the judo thing. I really had no idea this happened so often. Though the toughening up of kids (usually boys) has a long dark history here. Where i used to live it was pretty bad as well. But it seems after that guy died in the military while being punished, seems there has been a big shift in social acceptance. Now everyone seems more scared of being sued. Well, clearly not everyoneā€¦

1 Like

Letā€™s be honest. This is a huge problem in East Asia. Itā€™s not just some twisted Confucian deference. No one wants to ā€œmake a scene.ā€ Ever wonder why no one raises their hand when the teacher asks a question here? Same situation. No one wants to be in the spotlight and risk ridicule or criticism by their peers even if the consequences of inaction hurt themselves in the process. This is that on a macro scale. The uncle is a coward though, for sure.

2 Likes

Hereā€™s what Iā€™d say about that. You toughen up a teenager. You encourage a 7 year old.

And even with the teen, the toughening shouldnā€™t take the form of physical abuse. Train them, make them work out like crazy, call them ā€œlazyā€ if theyā€™re not keeping up with their peers, but donā€™t beat the shit out of them like theyā€™re in Cobra Kai.

3 Likes

I generally agree. And itā€™s really a case by case thing. Some kids need to broken down while others need a lot of encouragement.