Juneteenth!

I am so happy that this happened. I was harping about it all last summer.

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas, and Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, first introduced the bill last spring at the height of racial tension in the country following the murder of George Floyd, but they could not garner the support needed. Now, about a year later, the bill included 18 GOP co-sponsors.

“It has been a state holiday in Texas for more than 40 years,” Cornyn tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “Now more than ever, we need to learn from our history and continue to form a more perfect union.”

Bipartisan.

After passing by unanimous consent, the bill now heads to the House of Representatives, where its passage is all but assured, then on to President Biden’s desk for signature into law.

As it fucking should be!
And I will totally be buying one of the Juneteenth flags.

That’s not it though.

This is it:

“The Juneteenth flags represent the history, and freedom the American Slaves and their descendants,” writes Graf on her website. "The design of the Juneteenth flag depicts a bursting new star on the horizon. The star represents a new freedom, a new people, a new star.3 days ago

Now, on to the House.

5 Likes

Nice post and interesting flags.

2 Likes

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/17/politics/biden-juneteenth-bill-signing/index.html

Passed with only 14 dissenting GOP votes.
Rosendale- Montana ( R ):

Let’s call an ace an ace. This is an effort by the Left to create a day out of whole cloth to celebrate identity politics as part of its larger efforts to make Critical Race Theory the reigning ideology of our country. Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no.”

This isn’t an effort to commemorate emancipation, it’s very clearly tied to the larger hard-left agenda to enshrine the racial history of this country as the prime aspect of our national story.

Tucker Carlson

“Starting this Saturday, our country is getting a new Independence Day to supplant the old one, which people like Lori Lightfoot complained was racist. Not a single member of either party in the Senate opposed it!”

I’m glad it’s done. It’s a good thing.

2 Likes

Juneteenth is just about upon us. In Albany the March is down to the epicenter of the George Floyd riots to a new grocery store that’s not a bodega or a dollar store. It’ll be the only one I know of down there.

1 Like

NY gets Monday off. FTW!

2 Likes

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2022-06-19/some-shoppers-balk-at-retailers-peddling-new-juneteenth-merchandise

Good, can we be adults about this?

Retailers cashing in on a public holiday? What could be more patriotic?