Junk Pile Compressor

Seems a bit stiff but the motor shaft does rotate so it isn’t totally seized. No voltage showing on the start cap.

Some of these pictograms I get but the rest might as well be in Chinese. and my translation might be a bit off.

First One: Drain water out. That called routine maintenance. German do it often.

Second One : Switch in hole turn off motor

Third One: Check oil and top up. That called routine maintenance. German do it often.

Change oil after 100 hrs of of operation. It take (100mls?) SAE30 straight non-detergent oil which you wont find in Taiwan.

Anything else I should know?

lots of YouTube and website restoration tutorials online… Just review them all and proceed slowly

https://www.google.com/search?q=urefurbishing+old+compressor&rlz=1CDGOYI_enTW854TW854&oq=urefurbishing+old+compressor&aqs=chrome..69i57.14171j1j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Or do you just mean in the translation?

Mostly translation check, though I doubt there’s anything vital there

I’ve seen a few vids and I downloaded a manual (a word is worth a thousand video frames, sometimes more). Not for this model, but they seem a fairly standard design.

nobody really restores those compressor as they can be bought new for 3000nt. If the motor is busted it would cost more to get it running than to get a new one. Things like this ends up in a junkyard for a reason.

1 Like

Good.

I have always depended on the laziness of strangers.

If the motor cant be economically fixed or replaced I can use the tank and plumbing.

1 Like

Good luck with that… motor is likely junk universal motor or something. Probably only thing wrong with it is missing brush. Perhaps the winding needs to be redone too, given that it probably sat in the rain for years.

By the way I am looking for some magnesium… do those things end up in the junkyard? What do they make out of magnesium?

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit, though I suoppose its quite possible you can’t get brushes for “universal motors” in Meio-Too-Old-Island.

They make flares out of magnesium. And fancy custom wheels. Not found on many junkpiles.

Also, DO NOT use motor oil in a compressor. They have compressor oil. Gas stations sell them.

Second one is an overload switch. It says to check to see if there is a fault somewhere then reset the switch to turn it back on.

Well, SAE is Society of Automotive Engineers. Sounds like motor oil to me. I have some SAE40 SJ/CD, or Ive got some hydraulic oil somewhere, though I’ll have to look that up’.

Not an immediate issue since its got oil, and it may never run anyway.

I took the head off and cleaned it up a bit. Reed valves look OK.

Quite like this one, also a Taiwan model.

The motor rotated briefly but its sticky and noisy, I don’t have capacitance testing on my meter, a mistake, but the 50 microfarad start cap shows a rising resistance across the terminals, as expected, so Id guess brushes, bearings, or a sticky piston.

Yes but oils have different properties and using the wrong oil could lead to critical parts not getting lubricated. I think compressor oil is the right kind of oil, and they don’t have the SAE 30 or something, possibly because cars here don’t use them?

I was hoping it was induction motor honestly, those are easy to fix/replace.

How could it do that?

You probably can get SAE30 somewhere, I’ve just never seen it.

I vaguely remember some recomendation not to use detergent oils (which nearly all motor oil except very old API grades like SA andf SB will be) because it keeps wear debris in suspension rather than letting it settle out in the sump. Might be something to do with that.

1 Like

If you ask for non detergent oil they will point you to compressor oil because nobody uses non detergent oil in a car. But they have compressor oil as well as machine way oil (r32 and r60) at your local gas station.

@Ducked don’t forget to give’r some and send it right into the danger zone from cold

Also 5W30 or 10W30 is SAE 30 according to the half-arsed google i just performed

Correction: it’s multi-grade. Those should work though for your purposes as Taiwan doesn’t have winter

Fire!

Really old alloy wheels but I think these might be too exotic for what you’d find in a Taiwan scrapyard. Mostly sports cars from the 70s I think but could very easily be mistaken. It’s happened before

So what about sacrificial anode for boats?

That, rather precisely, is the opposite of what would make sense.

1 Like

Usually zinc, but I think I have heard of aluminium and magnesium alloys being used also. IIRCmagnesium is the most active and can cause paint loss on steel hulls.

When I worked in a shipyard I remember “planking” some old ship anodes we’d taken off the hull of a P and O ferry, intending to collect them later.

Can’t remember collecting them but I doubt they’ll still be there and I’m pretty sure those were zinc

Casing made of magnesium IIRC. Contents thermite. Dunno about the British but the Americans mostly used oil-based incendiaries like napalm so probably no magnesium.

I found one of those stirrup pumps in a river once. Had probably been there for 50 years. Still worked.