Junkie shot dead in car pursuit. Police went too far?

[quote=“llary”][quote=“ac_dropout”]I don’t see how else this could have ended. The suspect is prone to violence, maybe armed, and resisting arrest.

A road block is not going to turn this guy into Ghandi.[/quote]

You can’t be serious? I’ve seen - with my own eyes - unarmed British police take down a suspect doing 60-70mph using two cars and a helicopter, with no shots fired.

I’ll tell you how it could have ended: with police co-operating by radio and nearby units pulling ahead to clear traffic. Taiwanese police carry guns so it should be even easier - two cars in front, one car behind, suspect trapped at least momentarily. Cop gets out, trains gun on driver and if he continues ramming the cop cars gets a clean, close-range shot.

I think it’s bad when I have to say that the most sensible short piece on this issue came from the Apple Daily… I happened upon a tiny column last night talking about this issue and comparing how different countries train police to use weapons. The consensus was that sensible countries have a ‘positive identification’ requirement, which means no shooting blindly and wildly into the back of a fucking car. It also asked something along the lines of ‘what the fuck do these guys do in police university?’[/quote]

I agree with your views on the subject. Especially the “blindly shooting into the back of a car” bit. This is especially hazardous with the tinted windows one finds in Taiwan, because how are they to know if there is someone else in the car, say a small child?

Box him in and bring the chase to a controlled stop! Take him out with a double-tap! What reality are you guys living in?

Everyone knows the correct way to handle a chase like this is to have one cop holding the car steady while his partner leans out the window taking pot shots at the fleeing car, and that’s just what happened. The fact that on the second or third shots the car didn’t flip and go spinning into the air just goes to prove this guy must have been a ‘dangerous’ criminal and one of the important ones in the mob. This chase could have gone of for some time and posed a serious threat to any sausage/fried stuff/pork bun vendors and their carts in the area. Not to mention all the fruit stalls and stacks of cardboard boxes.

It’s just a pity it all ended without us getting to see one of Taipei’s finest jump onto the moving vehicle’s bonnet (hood) and try to climb in through the passenger window.

[quote=“Rik”]Box him in and bring the chase to a controlled stop! Take him out with a double-tap! What reality are you guys living in?

Everyone knows the correct way to handle a chase like this is to have one cop holding the car steady while his partner leans out the window taking pot shots at the fleeing car, and that’s just what happened. The fact that on the second or third shots the car didn’t flip and go spinning into the air just goes to prove this guy must have been a ‘dangerous’ criminal and one of the important ones in the mob. This chase could have gone of for some time and posed a serious threat to any sausage/fried stuff/pork bun vendors and their carts in the area. Not to mention all the fruit stalls and stacks of cardboard boxes.

It’s just a pity it all ended without us getting to see one of Taipei’s finest jump onto the moving vehicle’s bonnet (hood) and try to climb in through the passenger window.[/quote]

:bravo:

Reminds me of those cops who killed the Brazilian electrician bloke in London.

Last night, I saw a TV report on cops taking a “red-shirt” who was harassing some “green” CSB supporters. They passed him his open can of beer once he was seated in the back of the police cruiser.

Talk about your human rights! :smiley:

You guys think too much.

You can’t really blame the cops.
I mean, how often do they get to fire their sidearms? This is probably the only chance many of them will have had to shoot at someone. And when 20 other guys have already taken a shot, the peer pressure to join in must be enormous.

You can’t really blame the reporters, either.
I mean, how often do they get to report on something exciting? When’s the next time that they’ll be able to use the term “hot pursuit” in their careers?

You can’t really blame the bystanders, for that matter.
I mean, they’ve just been witnessing a sit-in. About time something happened around there. And if a stray bullet hit someone, at least they’d be out of their misery. Plus they could always blame President Chen for it.

There’s probably a good case for blaming the criminal, but then maybe this was what he wanted.
I mean, how often do you get to play Grand Theft Auto 2006: Tucheng Blue and Sniffing Glue in real time? Sure, the guy was driving his own car, and he wasn’t actually going that fast, but if he was on the right kind of buzz that wouldn’t really matter, now would it?

tragically the man died. And if not for that this wouldve made it to become one of the “worlds funniest vids” . But a man lost his life needlessly thru misunderstanding and incompetence. And thats too bad.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world, the court just heard closing arguments in the trials of the three cops who shot 50 bullets at three unarmed men leaving a bachelor party, killing the would-be groom, including the undercover detective who fired 31 of those shots, pausing midway through the barrage to reload.
ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gzt5 … QD90217BG1