Jurassic Park

Apropos of absolutely nothing:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-205_162-57382182/russia-regenerates-30000-year-old-flower/

Just thought other techheads might also think this is amazingly cool.

My mother thought that was cool enough to post on her Facebook and she’s no techhead. 30,000 years is really quite incredible.

Maybe one day I’ll be able to make similar arrangements for me tadpoles.

Not really that impressive considering we have seed banks that do the same thing with cryogenically frozen seeds. Seeds are pretty easy. Tissue from an animal is several scales harder. Woolly mammoths would be cool to see though.

spoilsport :raspberry:

Yeah, the article doesn’t explain how it was done, but I imagine they just got lucky (ie., the seed was still viable). The mammoth business sounds like hogwash, unfortunately.

So we’re only 29,000 sumthin years behind the squirrels.

Bet they’re back, roaming the tundra before Banglandesh, Florida, and all such low-lying areas are flooded out by rising sea levels.

No the mammoth idea is not hogwash at all. This should be viable within 10-20 years in some fashion. You can extract good quality mammoth DNA from frozen tissue, the idea would be to reprogram it back to a sperm cell or embryotic cell and clone it. Even if you don’t have the full genome intact you could in theory synthesize parts and stick it together. Then you can implant in a surrogate elephant. Bringing the mammoth back to life is going to happen.
Eventually we will be able to bring neanderthals back to life, WWF will never be the same again! Neanderthals interbred with modern humans, their whole genome has been sequenced and so it should be viable to have a neanderthal baby.

really? Where can I order one? :smiley: How do you “reprogram” DNA from a differentiated cell though? Is that technically possible already? And I’m not convinced about resynthesizing the missing bits - after all, you would have to know what was missing in order to reinsert it. Frankly though I doubt any resurrected animals (including neanderthals) would be able to survive “in the wild”. I mean, their genes were presumably “optimized away” by evolution and the same thing would quickly happen again outside of a controlled, artificial environment.

I suppose they could start by resurrecting some of the (important) animals they’ve sent to extinction in the last few decades :s

It’s not as hard as it sounds, a lot of the technical challenges have been solved already, it’s just a matter of putting it all together. The mammoth will have a full genome available anyway as there is plenty of DNA available for sequencing and cloning work. Look up on google what ips cells are , you can program skin cells to become any type of cell now. Even if you had parts missing you can fill them in with existing closely related species.

Ultimately it will be possible to use a type of backwards species matching technique to resurrect some dinosaurs from their descendants, the birds, maybe not 100% same as to what existed previously but close. This is also predicated on powerful algorithms and computing systems.

Evolution doesnt have a direction and just because a species died out does not mean they were weak, they just died out due the specific set of circumstances at that time. Neanderthals may have been out competed by modern humans or they could have died out due to complex climatic reasons. Modern humans almost died out earlier in our history once reaching a population of supposedly 10,000 individuals!