Jussipussi bread, cock soup anyone?

Kimichen hit the proverbial nail on the head here: “…optimistically speaking, the more bloopers, the more gold mines here. For example, I have to find tutors to fix my broken English. So there are more mistakes, and I need more time, and therefore tutors will earn more. It’s good, right? At least for teachers.”

That’s what it’s all about, fellas! A true native has spoken.

Above a jewellery shop in Taidong there is a giant sign which reads GLOD. :laughing: Does that mean I am making fun of the locals or even of the person who put up the sign? No, of course, not. Bloopers like that are funny in themselves, period.

Even locals chuckle when you point out a Chinglish sign like “Please infuse after vomit”. (you know those sinks in pub toilets specifically for people to vomit in?)

A while ago, there was a list of funny signs in hotels around the world. My fave was one which read: “Please feel free to take advantage of the maid”. Is that taking the piss out of the non-native English speaker who wrote it? No, it’s just plain funny.

[quote=“Spack”]Bloopers … are funny in themselves, period.

Even locals chuckle when you point out a Chinglish sign…

A while ago, there was a list of funny signs in hotels around the world. My fave was one which read: “Please feel free to take advantage of the maid”. Is that taking the piss out of the non-native English speaker who wrote it? No, it’s just plain funny.[/quote]

I quite agree with this post, and want to clarify that bloopers ARE funny, and worth pointing out. As a chuckle, yes. But not as criticism of the local sign painters who don’t know glod from gold. It makes life here memorable and INFUSED with humor and that’s good.

I saw a sign last year that read BEAUPY SALON for a hair salon shop and I did chuckle as I walked by. So yes, by all means, let’s chuckle together and enjoy the ride.

I don’t want perfect English here. I like the CHINGLISH here and the Singlish in Singapore and the Japlish I’ve read about in Japan and Koreaplish in Korea and the Manilalish in Manila. Goofy Pigeon English is funny! Let’s hear more examples… but without pointing the finger at the dumb locals who don’t know how to spell. I call it decorative English. I love it.

Sing me,

Fromsoa

I saw a sign in Chinese for a restaurant that said “Boo Hao Tse” No Good Food it was in Hsin Chuan…what a strange sign

My entries:

“Woo Woo Computers”

and a shop called “Wanko”

Human are born to make mistakes.

For examples, Nets’ Kenyon Martin has a Chinese characters tattoo which has different meaning from what he had in mind.

[quote]He punctuates that thought by pointing to the Chinese characters tattooed between the crook of his left elbow and his wrist.

"It means, ‘Never satisfied,’ " Martin said. “I just saw it at the tattoo place and it describes me.”
[/quote]

It does not mean ‘Never satisfied.’

It means people screw things up when they care too much for winning or loosing. Or people get nervours because they are afraid of failure, and then they screw things up.

I believe the Colonel is spinning in his grave over this one.

robert1566.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=2550641

I have always had a special place in my heart for the “Happy Grass” t-shirt shop in Kaohsiung.

Yesterday I went to the 9th floor of the Shinguan Mitsukoshi dept. store. It’s housewares. The sign outside said they sold ‘POT’.

You should be PUNished for that one…groan…

A soft drink named “Cowpis” used to be available years ago. I believe it was of Japanese origin. The name was literally descriptive

Spelling mistakes, bloopers, call them what you will are often funny and all add to the colour of living abraod. Each time I see one I am grateful that I live here. They cheer me up no end but I NEVER condemn ‘natives’ for making them. The opposite in fact; I am grateful to them and those mistakes for bringing variety and humour into our lives. LONG LIVE THE TYPO!!!