Just arrived from Miami! We're here. Can you help us a little? Lol

Hello everyone,
My name is Ben. My wife and I just arrived in Taipei last night. We have two children, age 7 and age 9. We are very excited to live here. My wife received a Work Permit and job here in Taipei. Thus the reason for the relocation. All 4 of us were granted residents Visas. Entry into Taipei last night was a piece of cake. It says on our Visas that we must apply for an ARC within 15 days of arriving. Where would we go to do that? Also we probably won’t have an apartment picked out yet. What do we do as far as giving them an address? Should we just give them a friend’s address? We can’t sign an apartment lease without an ARC?? Lol.
I also have an unlocked phone. I would like to buy a SIM that will provide data. Where can I go to get one? I walked into one 7-11 and they didn’t have SIM cards?

Currently we are in a Hotel right across from the Taipei Main Station.
Thank you to everyone for their help and advice. :smile:

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk 2

Hi! Welcome to Taiwan, I’m sure everyone else here will be more help than me as I’m a newbie here. You can buy a SIM card from the telecommunication companies. I’m with Chuanghua Telecom. But I was initially going to sign up with MyFone ($800 unlimited 3G…yes please!)

immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xI … 30085&mp=2 <<This might be helpful re:ARC
immigration.gov.tw/public/Da … 034471.pdf << And this one here too

I’m not sure about the address situation, best ask them. But when I entered Taiwan I didn’t know my address so I gave them my bosses phone number? But maybe a friends address would be better.

Good luck!

Thank you! MyFone sounds like a great deal! Will try to locate a retailer.

I sent you a private message with a little information.

I’ve had trouble opening phone accounts without an ARC, but I think it’s almost more a toss of the dice than any regulation. Just keep in mind you may run into a few road blocks… Taiwan is a very bureaucratic place.

7-11 just made the cheapest sim card available yesterday, at least that what they say on the paper. 400nt unlimited, prepaid. Last year a friend of mine got a phone sim card, he used his passport and visa to serve the 2-peice id rule. It took a day for the phone to work since the store has to mail the application to be processed. If you buy it in one of the tele stores, it’d work within 30 min after you sign the contract. 800nt month-to-month, 600nt on a 2-year contract. Chunghua has the best coverage, MyFone and Fareast does pretty much the same on the pretty much the same price. If you plan to visit some remote areas in Taiwan, Chunghua may worth the extra couple of hundreds.

At the National Immigration Agency, but your wife’s company’s HR department should do that for you.

Thanks to everyone for their help. Every 7-11 said they were out of SIM cards?? I felt like they didn’t want to deal with my questions and signing me up. I walked into MyFone and was able to get a prepaid unlimited 3G SIM card for NT800. All they asked for was my passport. I was in and out of the store in 10 minutes! It was the store a few blocks from the Taipei Main Station. I’ve already been using Whatsapp and Tango to talk to family back home. Works perfectly. What a relief!

Exactly.

As Hokwongwei mentioned, you’ll find this toss-of-the-dice bureaucracy often here.

Glad you got your phone sorted out. Welcome to Taiwan!

Exactly.
[/quote]
Is it usually like that? I got mine in about 10 minutes at the first 7-11 I went to, although I can tell I annoyed them with my weird id and broken chinese.

The easiest way is to pick up a SIM card right at the airport as the chances of having English speaking staff is highest.

I got my first SIM card at 7-11 also, back in 2008. They wanted 2 IDs, and all I had was my passport and my US driver’s license, which they didn’t want to accept at first. After getting the store manager, who made some phone calls to “corporate”, I guess, they finally accepted my driver’s license as second ID and I got the SIM. Took about 30 minutes of wrangling, but got it done.

My most recent experience with cell phones and random dealing-with-foreigners policies is here.

I got my first SIM card at 7-11 also, back in 2008. They wanted 2 IDs, and all I had was my passport and my US driver’s license, which they didn’t want to accept at first. After getting the store manager, who made some phone calls to “corporate”, I guess, they finally accepted my driver’s license as second ID and I got the SIM. Took about 30 minutes of wrangling, but got it done.

My most recent experience with cell phones and random dealing-with-foreigners policies is here.[/quote]
They didn’t want my driver’s licence equivalent id either, so I bullshit them with my health card (still had the corporate call). Not technically allowed to use it as id, but as if using it half way around the world would make a difference.

Ok so what’s the exact pricing on the 7-11 SIM? I’m so confused. Is it unlimited data?