Just arrived in Taipei, extremely confused...A little clarification would be appreciated!

I’ve recently moved to Taipei with my Taiwanese girlfriend of almost 1 year.

I’m from the UK so I have a 90 day ‘visa-exempt’ stay.
Is there a limit to how many of these one can get before eyebrows are raised?

My first problem is that I dropped out of university in the UK so I don’t have a degree…
From what I gather, a degree is a MUST for legally teaching English and getting an ARC.

However, is their anyway to get a work permit in other industries without having a degree?
For example, I’ve come across some international sales jobs which I feel confident of securing.
If the employer isn’t bothered about a degree, can they still get me a permit?

I’m also aware that UK ‘residents’ are offered a 12 month working holiday visa in Taiwan.
Do I need a degree to get one of these? also do I really have to apply in the UK? that’s a long way to go!

The non existent degree is an issue. I really don’t want to face being deported but, as a last resort, how thoroughly do they check if your degree is genuine?

Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated!

MSI

[quote=“msi”]I’ve recently moved to Taipei with my Taiwanese girlfriend of almost 1 year.

Is there a limit to how many of these one can get before eyebrows are raised?

My first problem is that I dropped out of university in the UK so I don’t have a degree…
From what I gather, a degree is a MUST for legally teaching English and getting an ARC.

However, is their anyway to get a work permit in other industries without having a degree?
For example, I’ve come across some international sales jobs which I feel confident of securing.
If the employer isn’t bothered about a degree, can they still get me a permit?

I’m also aware that UK ‘residents’ are offered a 12 month working holiday visa in Taiwan.
Do I need a degree to get one of these? also do I really have to apply in the UK? that’s a long way to go!

The non existent degree is an issue. I really don’t want to face being deported but, as a last resort, how thoroughly do they check if your degree is genuine?

Any help at all on this would be greatly appreciated!

MSI[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I would suggest for you to become a student of Chinese language, and then after a year you can work legally part-time. I’m assuming you have quite a bit of savings for your journey to Taiwan?

I will let other people answer your questions…

[quote=“msi”]I’ve recently moved to Taipei with my Taiwanese girlfriend of almost 1 year.

Is there a limit to how many of these one can get before eyebrows are raised?[/quote]

Nope knock yourself out on the visa run.

[quote=“msi”]My first problem is that I dropped out of university in the UK so I don’t have a degree…
From what I gather, a degree is a MUST for legally teaching English and getting an ARC. [/quote]

Correct, a degree would be a minimum for any job here.

[quote=“msi”]However, is their anyway to get a work permit in other industries without having a degree?
If the employer isn’t bothered about a degree, can they still get me a permit?[/quote]

Good luck with that. You have umpteen years and oodles of experience as sales? The employer WILL be challenged why exactly they need to give a job to a foreigner, I’ve seen a fairly strong challenge to someone who wanted a job as a technical writer and he had a degree.

[quote=“msi”]I’m also aware that UK ‘residents’ are offered a 12 month working holiday visa in Taiwan.
Do I need a degree to get one of these? also do I really have to apply in the UK? that’s a long way to go![/quote]

I have never ever heard of that, you might want to talk to the British Trade and Cultural Office here.

Sorry msi, any and all questions along these lines will most likely be deleted from the site, due to legal reasons. I do wish you the best however.

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I would suggest for you to become a student of Chinese language, and then after a year you can work legally part-time. I’m assuming you have quite a bit of savings for your journey to Taiwan?

I will let other people answer your questions…[/quote]

I’m 24 Rabidpie.

I tried learning Mandarin alongside Law in England. Couldn’t get to grips with the tones at the time.

I’ve not really got an interest in studying Chinese, let alone the funds!

Me and the gf just got back from an amazing trip round NZ and SE Asia so the bank balance isn’t as healthy as it was 3 months ago in Australia. Well worth it though!

We’re going to study in either the UK or the States (she was born there) next year. Just looking for a way to get round these
obstacles and earn a living.

I do have the opportunity to work for a Singapore based company over the phone. If I was paying tax in Singapore, would this be illegal? Damn should have looked into this more…

[quote=“Mick”]
Nope knock yourself out on the visa run.[/quote] :slight_smile:

[quote=“msi”]My first problem is that I dropped out of university in the UK so I don’t have a degree…
From what I gather, a degree is a MUST for legally teaching English and getting an ARC. [/quote]

Correct, a degree would be a minimum for any job here.

[quote=“msi”]However, is their anyway to get a work permit in other industries without having a degree?
If the employer isn’t bothered about a degree, can they still get me a permit?[/quote]

Good luck with that. You have umpteen years and oodles of experience as sales? The employer WILL be challenged why exactly they need to give a job to a foreigner, I’ve seen a fairly strong challenge to someone who wanted a job as a technical writer and he had a degree.

[quote=“msi”]I’m also aware that UK ‘residents’ are offered a 12 month working holiday visa in Taiwan.
Do I need a degree to get one of these? also do I really have to apply in the UK? that’s a long way to go![/quote]

I have never ever heard of that, you might want to talk to the British Trade and Cultural Office here.

Sorry msi, any and all questions along these lines will most likely be deleted from the site, due to legal reasons. I do wish you the best however.[/quote]

[quote=“Rabidpie”]Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

I will let other people answer your questions…[/quote]

I’m 24 Rabidpie.

I tried learning Mandarin alongside Law in England. Couldn’t get to grips with the tones at the time.

I’ve not really got an interest in studying Chinese, let alone the funds!

Me and the gf just got back from an amazing trip round NZ and SE Asia so the bank balance isn’t as healthy as it was 3 months ago in Australia. Well worth it though!

We’re going to study in either the UK or the States (she was born there) next year. Just looking for a way to get round these
obstacles and earn a living.

I do have the opportunity to work for a Singapore based company over the phone. If I was paying tax in Singapore, would this be illegal? Damn should have looked into this more…

[quote=“Mick”]
Nope knock yourself out on the visa run.[/quote] :slight_smile:

I’ve barely browsed some of these jobs although they take experience in lieu of a Degree. Definitely something I need to look into more…

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=4966&ctNode=783&mp=2 I think it’s the same for Canadians too. Only 1000 per year though…

Fair Play, I’m used to un-moderated forums, will try and keep it clean. Thanks

You are up shit creek without a paddle. Enroll in a Chinese course or just do a visa run and enjoy Taiwan while you are here.

Not unless he marries his GF. Then he can get marriaged based ARC and open work rights and work legally :sunglasses:

Update:

It proved impossible to find any legal work so I flew back to the UK to secure a Working Holiday Visa (YMS)

I now have open work rights for 1 year! :slight_smile:

If anybody is thinking to apply…be prepared for a big expense, endless medicals and a bureaucratic nightmare!

MSI

Your best option, I suggest, is to complete your studies (any studies) online, and work from home. If your background is in law, I strongly recommend either continuing it or doing something related (such as becoming a licensed conveyancer). I’m pretty sure there is plenty of work in that field that can be done over the phone or internet from halfway across the world; alternatively, you could spend a few months of the year in the UK, and a few months here, especially if you are earning contract rates. Plenty of people do that sort of thing these days. In the meantime - as others have said - just do the visa run.

Although it would certainly be possible to jump through all the hoops and get a local job (if you have a degree and relevant experience), it’s not worth the effort.

Congratulations on getting the WHV, but I’m not sure the point of the ‘working’ bit. Negative nelly and all that but this is Taiwan.

Nightmare indeed it is.

You do, but keep in mind you’re not allowed to work for any single employer for longer than 3 months! But I’m sure you know that already :slight_smile:.

Once you’re finished with one employer, you can ask the boss if he has any buddies who can give you a job.

[quote=“bumclouds”]
You do, but keep in mind you’re not allowed to work for any single employer for longer than 3 months! But I’m sure you know that already :slight_smile:.

Once you’re finished with one employer, you can ask the boss if he has any buddies who can give you a job.[/quote]

I am pretty sure that those with a UK passport are exempt from the 3 month rule.

For the life of me, I can’t remember where I saw this but there is no mention of it here…

http://www.roc-taiwan.org/uk/ct.asp?xItem=232492&CtNode=11274&mp=132&xp1=

I approached a large school chain and they refused my application on the grounds that I wouldn’t be able to sign a year contract (the visa kicks in from the day I land)

I will have my ARC next week so I’m hopeful that I’ll get work in an independent cram school fairly soon :slight_smile:

Are you cereal? That would be the first time I’ve heard of it.
The WH visa I have in my passport has the 3 month rule printed on it.

Are you cereal? That would be the first time I’ve heard of it.
The WH visa I have in my passport has the 3 month rule printed on it.[/quote]

Here you go Bumclouds…

http://www.boca.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1313&ctNode=783&mp=2

However, they should not work for the same employer for more than 3 months (The working holiday visa holders from Korea, Japan, Canada and the U.K. are exempt from this limitation)

Where are you from?

Hello msi,

I’m also looking into getting the same WHV as you have, I was wondering if you could enlighten me.
Looking at the application form and requirements it seems like the medical examination is going to be quite a hassle to sort out, and to pay for!
Could I ask how much it cost you altogether?
Your description of it makes me think there might be some other nasty surprises?

How are you enjoying Taiwan anyway? Have you had any luck finding work yet?

Any help or advice would really be appreciated.

[quote=“msi”]I’m from the UK so I have a 90 day ‘visa-exempt’ stay.
Is there a limit to how many of these one can get before eyebrows are raised?MSI[/quote]

I had the same problem but instead of using the 90 days visa-exempt path I applied for a visa in the UK and when the visa was about to expire I went to the local police station (bureau) to get an extension. I did this for a few years before the Taipei Representative Office in the UK started asking question.

A degree is not a strict requirement re ARC. However in saying this, one must be employed in a senior capacity role (Branch manager, Director, VP and above). An ARC can be obtained.