Just Bloody Hopeless Refereeing

There must be a video out there of this sham…

Ball boy scores in Brazil
13 September 2006

RIO DE JANEIRO: A Brazilian referee faces suspension after she awarded a goal that television pictures showed was scored by a ball boy.

The 89th minute goal allowed Santacruzense to snatch a 1-1 draw at home to Atletico Sorocaba in the Paulista Football Federation (FPF) Cup on Sunday, a regional tournament played in the state of Sao Paulo.

Pictures showed that after a Santacruzense player shot narrowly wide, the boy collected the ball with his feet and took it back on to the pitch.

However, instead of returning it to the goalkeeper, he subtly tapped it across the line into the net.

Although there was nearly 10 seconds between the shot going out and the boy placing the ball over the line, referee Silvia Regina de Oliveira awarded a goal amid furious Sorocaba protests.

Oliveira, who has refereed in the Brazilian first division and the Copa Sudamericana, said she based her decision on the linesman.

“I should have trusted my own vision,” Oliveira said in a radio interview.

Marcos Marinho, head of the FPF’s refereeing commission, said the goal would stand and the referee would face suspension.

“It was a very serious mistake and, unfortunately, the punishments will have to be applied for the referee and linesman,” he said. “There was a lapse of concentration and that can’t happen in football.”

stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,379 … 23,00.html

“She”?

does the ballboy get his name on the scoresheet then?

I’ve been to a couple of professional matches in England refereed by women and apart from the obvious (and largely good-natured) ribbing there was no difference in the standard as far as I could tell. In fact there was less out-and-out abuse of the ref, probably because it feels a little bit strange to be shouting “the referee’s a wanker!” at a lady.

On a related note (of underrepresented people in football) there is another official in the English lower leagues (where my beloved Torquay United deservedly languish) who is profoundly deaf and can probably make more claim than most to not being swayed by pressure from the crowd. Andrew Rodda is the chap’s name.

Deaf ref! Good idea.

they already use blind refs so why not deaf?

I guess that’s why they don’t have any women referees at the FIFA World Cup.

I look forward to the refereeing in Taichung this weekend:lol:

What? I would think this lady could DEFINITELY get a job as a World Cup ref. After all… she’s USELESS. It’s that a prerequisite?

[quote=“Truant”]There must be a video out there of this sham…

Ball boy scores in Brazil
13 September 2006

RIO DE JANEIRO: A Brazilian referee faces suspension after she awarded a goal that television pictures showed was scored by a ball boy.

[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBH1Aro-IWE&eurl=

There is…