Just cut open a pig's heart in front of my students

Now THAT was a fun class.

We’ve been studying the heart, how it works. Had them sketch real chicken hearts and the coup de grace was splitting an enormous pig’s heart down the middle right in front of them. God, they shrieked in joy, or was it disgust??

Anyway,that’s a memory for sure! :rainbow:

eugh :s

[quote=“jdsmith”]Now THAT was a fun class.

We’ve been studying the heart, how it works. Had them sketch real chicken hearts and the coup de grace was splitting an enormous pig’s heart down the middle right in front of them. God, they shrieked in joy, or was it disgust??

Anyway,that’s a memory for sure! :rainbow:[/quote]

they were thinking ‘now is he going to cook it slowly like a tea-egg and share it with us, or is the teacher going to take it home to enjoy by himself’

[quote=“mungacious”][quote=“jdsmith”]Now THAT was a fun class.

they were thinking ‘now is he going to cook it slowly like a tea-egg and share it with us, or is the teacher going to take it home to enjoy by himself’[/quote]

Nah, the cleaning lady took them home to cook and feed to the dogs. :slight_smile:

Hmm, maybe we should do stomach’s next week. :smiling_imp:

BTW, chicken hearts are really cheap!

Did blood spurt out all over everybody and the walls when you cut it open ?

Was it still beating ?

Did you say, “We worship you. Sweet Satan.” as you cut it open?

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Did blood spurt out all over everybody and the walls when you cut it open ?

Was it still beating ?[/quote]

Spurt? No, but it did drip out when I sliced open the inner chambers. :smiling_imp:

That was good enough. I feel this will be one of the lifetime memories for some of them! I love that! :slight_smile:

No, but I did say, “You’re hearts are just like this one. Get the idea?”

They didn’t… :unamused:

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Did blood spurt out all over everybody and the walls when you cut it open ?

Was it still beating ?[/quote]

Spurt? No, but it did drip out when I sliced open the inner chambers. :smiling_imp:

That was good enough. I feel this will be one of the lifetime memories for some of them! I love that! :slight_smile:

No, but I did say, “You’re hearts are just like this one. Get the idea?”

They didn’t… :unamused:[/quote]

Did you misspell “your” when you said it to them?
Maybe that’s the part they didn’t get… :unamused:

[quote]No, but I did say, “You’re hearts are just like this one. Get the idea?”

They didn’t… [/quote]

For now maybe . . but it is nice to ponder that in twenty years time they’ll never forget it.

HG

I wish I had cool teachers like that when I was little. My teachers just cut up rabbits and said, “This is you. If you tell your parents.”

what the hell do you teach? English or Biology? oh … maybe it’s english biology … strange tho … in english class …

Here’s another one that thinks to teach English you need to stick to “I like apples” for ten years.

You actually CAN learn something AND English at the same time.

Difficult concept to grasp in Taiwan though.

[quote]Did you misspell “your” when you said it to them?
Maybe that’s the part they didn’t get… [/quote]

I was rushing to class, but I’ll own it. Hey everyone, I made a grammar mistake!

Here’s another one that thinks to teach English you need to stick to “I like apples” for ten years.

You actually CAN learn something AND English at the same time.

Difficult concept to grasp in Taiwan though.[/quote]

No … I don’t think to stick with apples … but I don’t think that 90% of the class is going to become a doctor or biologist, veterinarian or something that requires knowledge of pigs heart, maybe next time jd can teach them how to cut my stew, even more blood … :laughing:

English class from hell … :noway:

Oh … maybe they go for butcher …

[quote=“jdsmith”]Now THAT was a fun class.

They would get even more out of it if you had drawn a pentagram around the desks, burned sulfur, and taught the class in infernal. :wink:

The only question on my mind:

Why didn’t you save it for Halloween?

Man, talk about poor planning!

:bravo:

[quote=“Durins Bane”][quote=“jdsmith”]Now THAT was a fun class.

They would get even more out of it if you had drawn a pentagram around the desks, burned sulfur, and taught the class in infernal. :wink:[/quote]
And used a live pig, plunging your bare hand into its chest cavity and ripping out the still-beating heart while shouting your lesson over the dying screams and gasps of the pig.
Jeez man, show a little imagination. :wink:

C’mon, some people do teach classes like Maths and Science in English. It is great as the children actually get to use the grammar and vocabulary they have learned. Of course you have your grammar classes too, but it is so much more effective if the kids (or adults) can forget that they’re supposed to be studying for a bit, and just SPEAK.
Although the class would have been so much cooler if he hadn’t felt the need to come brag about it online. :wink: But really, if he actually took it seriously (which I’m sure he did) instead of just turning it into a gore-fest then it could be a very useful class. Just warn us when you start studying quantum physics.

jdsmith’s school might have enough guanxi to get a hold of a pig’s heart, but a particle accelerator? I’d be scared if he could pull the kinds of strings needed to procure such a piece of equipment!

And if he can, can I watch? :wink:

If he wheels in a cadaver he will have gone too far :slight_smile: