Just do it?

Okay, now i know everyone wants to avoid military service. Now military service, in Taiwan is a long way from my dad’s days where he entered as a skinny stick and came out two years later with actually some knowledge of hand to hand combat and well muscles on what were once girl’s arms. In fact it’s probably easier.

As you know I have set up a blog to help dual nationals who want to work in Taiwan find work at (rocguide.blogspot.com PLEASE READ ALL ENTRIES fromt he bottom up)

However, the blog is seriously just intended for you people who want to work short term like a year or two in Taiwan or even three. It is not intended for you guys who want to be ROC4LIFE.

Cause I will tell you a few of my friends have done military service. Yes even dual passport holders. There reasons are all different.
1.) AC- he just flat out had to do it. He delayed things by studying and getting masters degree
2.) NT- He just did because he felt running out every 4 months was a waste of time and his job didn’t pay enough as an English teacher for him to run. He felt he was going to stay in Taiwan for life so “Whatever get it over with”
3.) MT- Did military service because he was born after 1984. THe laws for people that young have stated they cannot reside in TW for a cumulative 183 days. His family has moved back to TW and while he is a US citizen he has no residency in the USA anymore. So he just said, “Fuck it, I’ll do it”.

Now here’s a list of people that haven’t done military Service
1.) CH- Didn’t do it cause. He’s an Australian Dual National and would rather live in Australian
2.) IL- this 32 year old guy I know. He will not live in Taiwan forever because once his dual national kids become 5
they are 4 now. He will move back to Canada, cause sadly while Taiwan is a haven for singles young men it’s not the place where you want to raise a family.
3.) JC- my friend wants to study for an MBA in the US and work there(he is a dual national too, Good luck JC thanks to Lehman you won’t be getting any job in the near future).
4.) Myself- Why because I wish, to study in America in the future and well of course get a masters in History research and eventually settle down in NJ or become a public school teacher(Yeah I know I am not very Asian as my writing mastery is usually better than my near non-existent math or scientific skills)

The point is each of us that avoid military service, We all do not have plans of establishing permanent residency in Taiwan. All of us, have used Taiwan as a way to get experience.

Popular Stereotype: I go off on a tangent, and I have been teaching English. A lot of people say oh not real job this, not real job that. It honestly is what you make of it. If you’re a lazy dipshit who comes in does the bare minimum and just screws around of course it’s a waste of time. It’s also logical that if someone asks what you learned, you’d probably only be able to offer a batch of bullshit answers that pretty much most socially intelligent HRs can see through instantaneously.

Now I know you’re going to give me lots of shit for this. But if you want to live in Taiwan for decades of a time. Just do the army. You may say, “Yo but it’s a waste of time”. I can understand that if you have other projects to undertake, but seriously you’re not hurting yourself too much because there are plenty people that will be in the same boat. If you’re going to be there for like decades at a time. Might as well do it.

I am currently serving in the Taiwanese army in the alternative services(替代役).

If anyone is interested in joining or has any questions, you’re welcome to ask me.

[quote=“Tony the Tiger”]I am currently serving in the Taiwanese army in the alternative services(替代役).

If anyone is interested in joining or has any questions, you’re welcome to ask me.[/quote]

Yeah I would like to join in the future what do I have to do for it. born TW, raised in NJ. Degree Poly sci and History from Rutgers.

[quote=“Tony the Tiger”]I am currently serving in the Taiwanese army in the alternative services(替代役).

If anyone is interested in joining or has any questions, you’re welcome to ask me.[/quote]

Hi, I would also be interested in knowing more about this as well.

Were you able to choose going to the alternative services? What was the requirements, like does not knowing how to read/write Chinese, weight, education, etc?

Thanks!