Just got here on Friday, AAAAHHHH! *freaking out*

Alright, bro. You’ve gotten some good advice, especially the suggestion than you check into a hostel. First of all, it’s cheaper that living in some fancy hotel, or even a love hotel. Second, you will meet some people who speak English. Of course, there will always be crazy people in hostels, but there will also be a few sane people. These people will be able to show you the closest internet cafes; take you drinking at night; and go out and get food with you, which is much easier with a group of people than eating alone. You feel isolated right now and meeting a bunch of people in the same boat is the way to go, especially since your “friends” abandoned you. And if you really get along with these people, they will be your closest friends your entire stay in Taiwan.

And when you finally decide to leave the hostel, you can look for an apartment with some friends you made in the hostel. In my experience, it’s always easier to go to Tsui mama with a group of three or four people and look at vacant apartments than it is looking for individual rooms. You already know you can live with these people and your housing options are much better.

All this assumes that you meet some normal people of course. Hostels are after all the native habitat of some of the most fucked-up people in Taiwan. Ah, the stories I could tell…

But, yeah, the hostel is a rite of passage. No Taiwan experience is complete without spending some time in one.

Also, you should establish a routine. It’s too early for you to have a routine now, but once you get one going, your life will be much happier.
There’s something very comforting about continuity.

And if you are here to learn Chinese, I recommend avoiding language exchanges. Many potential language exchange partners are not interested in helping you learn Chinese.

Hmm, I tried clicking on your link to the whorehouse, but it doesn’t go anywhere! :frowning:

All you need is a nice xiaojie to take you under her wing, show you around, help you find accommodation, etc, and she’ll soon get you comfortably settled into a pleasant and reasonably stress-free life here. The accommodation bit, especially, should be no problem at all – this place has a massive surplus of housing begging for people to come along and rent it, with something to suit every pocket and taste, and a local gal will easily be able to fix you up with whatever you’re looking for.

Finding that xiaojie will also be a piece of cake: just log onto a few language-exchange websites, fire off messages to a couple of dozen likely-looking girls, fill a couple of days with meeting them in McD’s or wherever, and pick out the one who seems best qualified to steer you through these next few weeks.

I found Taiwan an extremely easy place to settle into when I got here nearly 19 years ago, despite the communication problems and not knowing anyone here when I stepped off the boat – and it must be a thousand times easier now with the Internet and websites like this to take advantage of! I picked up a newspaper and arranged a teaching job within hours of arriving, and quickly found the first of the requisite xiaojies to keep me company and teach me the essentials of local living. I made the mistake of going to a couple of pubs in the Combat Zone, which I found horribly depressing, but apart from that I had no problem at all putting the pieces into place and took to Taiwan like a duck to water. I’m sure you will too, once you have that first eager xiaojie at your side.

I think young Robert is just inexperienced with life in general. Perhaps Uncle Tomas can help out a bit.

My advice is to first calm down (breath deeply–it will keep you calm).

Then, per a previous poster’s advice, drop all of your assumptions about Taiwan. Create an empty slate in the part of your mind that views this new environment. Stop comparing this place to home, because that sort of approach is only going to make you miserable. If you can, start disciplining yourself to find the good in your new environment–there is plenty of good here. After you’ve been here a while, you can make some balanced judgments about Taiwan, but right now, you’re better off focusing only on the good.

Next, stay friendy and open, but be cautious about what you communicate to other people. Stay as neutral as possible until you’ve got a good base of knowledge about where you are living. People have a tendency to want to interpret things before they understand them. Observe, listen, and inquire (=learn). The more you listen to others, the more they’ll appreciate you. Initiate conversations, and then focus on listening. Carefully select friends with whom you can relate, and who are reliable. They will be few and far between, but they are out there. Make sure you have something to offer them (e.g. moral support, intellectual stimulation, kindness). There is no need to be fearful about meeting other Forumosans. Many of them are very, very nice people who will go out of their way to help you, especially if you have learned the art of listening and know how to express appreciation. Alleycat’s is a good venue for meeting some of these folks.

Try to sleep normally (have a glass of wine before bed to calm your nerves) and eat as healthily as you can (fruit is cheap and abundant here; a diet of fruit, noodles with a side of greens and some tofu, and lots of water and green tea would keep most people healthy and is quite cheap).

Finally, realize that life is tough. Nobody owes you a thing. It is up to you to make things work. I suspect that you’ve got some maturing to do, but that is quite normal. Don’t get down on yourself, just rise to the challenge and make something of your time here. Too many youngsters waste away in self-pity, ignorance, and self-defeat here in Taiwan. Don’t become one of them.

Cheers,

Uncle Tomas

Beautiful post Thomas. I wish I had had someone to give me advice like that when I first got here.

Almas - I enjoyed that guy’s web site too and he didn’t express a single sentiment I haven’t felt myself. But what about his advice to newbies that they will have more fun if they DON’T learn Chinese. That is about the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. I also have the feeling that it might be partly true!

Hi Robert,

Directions to get to Happy Hour tomorrow:

-From Tai-Da, you should get yourself to the Guting MRT station. Then from exit #4 (NTNU), you’ll see a huge corner Starbucks behind you when you get out.

-Turn right and Walk down toward the Fuji Film store. There’s a huge bus stop there.

-Take Bus #235 (Xinzhuang).

-Get off at the Li Ren Elementary School stop. Those buses will announce the stop so stay close toward the front of the bus. On the #235 bus you will need to pay when you get off, not when you get on.

-At the Li Ren stop, look toward your 2-3 o’clock and you will see a 7-11 and Wellcome supermarket.

-Walk toward them and at the Wellcome store look toward your left and you’ll see a big red awning and TS logo there. That is the Taipei Sports Bar - an American style bar. Ray is the proprietor and the TS phone number is 2707-1884.

See you.

Hi again Robert,

Lots of good advice by folks here. But to follow the KISS principle I think the following might help.

1. Remember all 7-11 locations. They will save your life during your adjustment period. You can survive off their food. Even the “bian dangs” ,those lunch boxes, can be heated for you when they ask, just nod yes, even if you can’t understand because that’s what they’re asking, “Do you want it heated”.

2. Hostels: Taipei Hostels I recommend the Fortuna Hostel as it is close to your school: Ding Zho Rd, Sec 3, Lane 27, Alley 2, #5, 3f,

A quick online check shows they don’t have anything this week, but go there just in case.

1. Forumosa: community here is small and quite supportive. We’re all here and we have enough activities to help keep in touch. Taipei Sports Bar is not that hard to get to and is an American bar. There’s Alleycat’s near the National Taiwan Normal University which is not far from Tai Da. Lots of expats are there plus killer pizza to boot.

2. Cell phone: Far East One, get the IF card from 7-11 and you’re up and running once you show two picture IDs (one would be your US passport and maybe your US driver’s license).

Once you got a stable roof, I’m sure things will be better. Try the hostel list and then scour the housing ads here and the housing ads at the Oriented.com site.

GL,

Oh, you’re just being an ‘Uncle Tom’ again.

[quote=“hypermegaglobal”]Ok, let me see if I undestood this correctly
You want to know if anyone can relate to your ‘plight’? Actually, I first wanted to respond that you’re either a troll or the biggest whiner I’ve ever heard of. Then, I read maowang’s post and I remembered that satisfaction can be defined as the ‘degree to which expectations are met’. You’re obviously frustated and unsatisfied. Now I’m really, honestly curious: what were your expectations for your first 48h in Taiwan?[/quote]

Be nice…This is someone who seems like they haven’t ever been outside their ‘group’ before or overseas, or on their own. Enjoy the adventure…No one is gonna sell you into white slavery here…

Though you’d better steer clear of those cults, just in case…

Mr. Marotz,
Did you do an ounce of homework on Taiwan and the Chinese at all before you came here or did you just pony up the money and hop on a plane blind? There is that Internet thing that people tell me has lots of information on a variety of subjects. You might have checked that.
So, a move from Podunk City to the frightening insect-infested, juggernaut that is Minneapolis was a biggie, eh? But that wasn’t enough of a challenge for you. Instead of going to that Third World shithole backwater commonly known as Canada, you opted for the steaming subtropics of that other insect-infested shithole where everyone speaks something other than English (Chinese, is it?) and where even finding a telephone is as fortuitous as Stanley stumbling upon Livingstone, also known as Taipei.
Tax problems back home? A little matter of allegations of arson? Mysterious death of your former boss? How does a young spud-boy like yourself fall off the face of the civilized world to end up living in “the food stain on the necktie of the world”?

That’s all the fun. Once you’re an old hand, it’s all old hat.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

[quote=“Tomas”]
Finally, realize that life is tough. Nobody owes you a thing. It is up to you to make things work. I suspect that you’ve got some maturing to do, but that is quite normal. Don’t get down on yourself, just rise to the challenge and make something of your time here. Too many youngsters waste away in self-pity, ignorance, and self-defeat here in Taiwan. Don’t become one of them.
Cheers,
Uncle Tomas[/quote]

Great post, Tomas. Can I steal it and put it on my website?

Vorkosigan

For Robert,
Please do not hesitate to hold a helping hand. Look, the night I landed, after dragging my suitcases 4 blocks and getting to the hostel our group had agreed to meet at, I found it was closed and my friends nowhere to be found. As I sat in misery at the entrance, some Taiwanese took pity on the sad foreigner who was ready to head back to the airport and called the owner to open up. God knows after that there were awful times, but I cannot say that I was alone at any moment and that as long as I allowed myself to see it, there was someone there to help. That is why now, 5 years later, I also try to give a hand whenever I can. Not only can I see Taiwan though fresh new eyes and rediscover why I feel in love with it, but also I get a good laugh at myself and wonder how I let small stuff get between myself and enjoying life here to its fullest. Good luck, Robert, hope you too can enjoy giving a little to someone else in the future and that some light wll come out of these dark days.

I second Omni’s post. Everything is better when you’re in lurve.

Reminds me of a Canadian from Toronto named Nick… He did that as a young newbie, but after appllying himself and diving into the business side of East Asia, he built himself into an expert on China business and finance. He used his early experiences as leverage for understanding and negotiating cross cultural business relationships.

“Totally Lost” foreigner to “expert”.

… simpy marry a local gal to accomodate yourself here.

Not speaking Chinese, you will never know why she, maybe being the 3rd daughter, is suddenly fighting with the first daughter and so on. You can keep out of all that stuff. As she is over 30, she will sit on her Mama’s sofa whole day (after work) anyway and you have enough time for yourself.

Initally, she wants to pay US$ 500 montly to her Mum, later you get her down to US$ 300 (as she discovers not all foreigners are rich), then down to US$ 100 as she discovers you are probably a poor sob and after you have shown her your bank account it will go down to US$ 0.0.
All nice and easy. And you can eat food for 50 Taiwan Dollar in shops, where no foreigner wants to go to (but the food is first quality and delicious). In the end, your mum-in-law will lend money to you, cook for you and you end up rich and fat in Taiwan and a dozen kids call you shoo-shoo something.

ups, I am too talktive today :blush:

[quote=“Vorkosigan”][quote=“Tomas”]
Cheers,
Uncle Tomas[/quote]

Great post, Tomas. Can I steal it and put it on my website?

Vorkosigan[/quote]

Steal away. Just send me my cut of the proceeds from the site :wink: .