Just my 2 cents

What is the point of saying “just my 2 cents” when expressing an opinion?

To show you that my opinion is worth something :2cents:.

2 Cents is not worth a lot…maybe it is false modesty?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents

[quote]
“My two cents” (2¢) and its longer version “put my two cents in” is an United States (US) idiomatic expression, taken from the original English idiom expression: to put in “my two pennies worth” or “my tuppence worth.” It is used to preface the tentative stating of one’s opinion. By deprecating the opinion to follow – suggesting its value is only two cents, a very small amount – the user of the phrase hopes to lessen the impact of a possibly contentious statement, showing politeness and humility. However, it is also sometimes used with irony when expressing a strongly felt opinion. The phrase is also used out of habit to preface uncontentious opinions.[/quote]

When did the phrase first come into use? 2 cents used to buy you a whole lot more.
Inflation has probably made the deprecation far more than was originally intended.

I always thought it was because you needed two cents to make a phone call. :blush:

[quote=“Nuit”]When did the phrase first come into use? 2 cents used to buy you a whole lot more.
Inflation has probably made the deprecation far more than was originally intended.[/quote]

That’s right! Now it should be, “Just my twenty bucks worth!”

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“Nuit”]When did the phrase first come into use? 2 cents used to buy you a whole lot more.
Inflation has probably made the deprecation far more than was originally intended.[/quote]

That’s right! Now it should be, “Just my twenty bucks worth!”[/quote]

Cue sulavaca yelling “Now if that had been tuppence worth of gold…”

I have no cents.

Dollar bills, y’all…

Style