Just spent 66,000 on a new computer - Which graphic card?

My computer now is 2.8 ghz CPU, 160gig HD, 1.5gig DDR400 ram, Radeon 9800pro VGA.

I like to play the newest games…and am getting some slow down on HL2…so I went out and bought…

3.8 ghz (equivalent) dual core CPU, 200gig HD, 2gig DDR400ram, and a 21,000nt graphics card…the GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-express.

I feel a bit queasy after making such a large purchase. At first I was going to get a Radeon X850…but after some research I saw I could get 2 GeForce 6800s for cheaper than 1 X850…and the X850 isn’t a huge amount better than one 6800.

But then I decided to go with one 7800GTX over two 6800s…even though it’s about 5000 more expensive. And this way in a year or so I can slap in another 7800 if I want to improve it even more.

Any experts want to chime in? I can still phone the shop and make adjustments for the next day or so.

[quote=“Mordeth”]My computer now is 2.8 ghz CPU, 160gig HD, 1.5gig DDR400 ram, Radeon 9800pro VGA.

I like to play the newest games…and am getting some slow down on HL2…so I went out and bought…

3.5 ghz CPU, 200gig HD, 2gig DDR400ram, and a 21,000nt graphics card…the GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-express.

I feel a bit queasy after making such a large purchase. At first I was going to get a Radeon X850…but after some research I saw I could get 2 GeForce 6800s for cheaper than 1 X850…and the X850 isn’t a huge amount better than one 6800.

But then I decided to go with one 7800GTX over two 6800s…even though it’s about 5000 more expensive. And this way in a year or so I can slap in another 7800 if I want to improve it even more.

Any experts want to chime in? I can still phone the shop and make adjustments for the next day or so.[/quote]

You typed this with the new one right? Seems quite good.

66,000 so you can play games? Wow! That’s dedication :stuck_out_tongue: . I bet it’s cool as.

[quote=“Ironman”]

You typed this with the new one right? Seems quite good.[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo: , pretty funny. I just want to know people’s opinions on graphics cards…two 6800s for 16,000nt or one 7800 for 21,000nt.

I also have over 60,000nt in stereo equipment hooked up to my computer :sunglasses: . I can hear a bullet whiz by my ear…hit the wall on my right and the casing drop and hit the floor and roll over to my left.

[quote=“Mordeth”]My computer now is 2.8 ghz CPU, 160gig HD, 1.5gig DDR400 ram, Radeon 9800pro VGA.

3.5 ghz CPU, 200gig HD, 2gig DDR400ram, and a 21,000nt graphics card…the GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-express.

Any experts want to chime in? I can still phone the shop and make adjustments for the next day or so.[/quote]

My son paid NT$17000 for the 7800 gtx so you need to compare prices

3.5ghz intel… dont exist so maybe your getting an amd

I just bought a dell intel 3.0ghz with 1gb 533mhz ram ( picked another 1gb for free ) with a 160gb hd for NT$24000 delivered to my home. If you add in the 17000 for the gtx 7800 it would only have cost me NT$41000… you’ve been quoted NT$66K hmmm

My son has a 3.0ghz intel with 4gb 677 mhz ram 80gb and the gtx 7800 for battelfield2 runs fine on maxed out graphics

You shouldnt be paying more than 50K for your system including moniter and laser mouse imho

Hmm, thanks Sat TV…that’s the kinda response I was looking for…even if it did make me wanna throw-up.

Few things to keep in mind…I forgot to mention I’m buying the new Xi-Fi sound card from Creative…that alone is 4500nt. 4000 of the price is a monitor. So if you subtract those two things thats closer to 57,500. And yeah…the cpu is AMD 3500+. And the mobo has slots for 2 graphics cards…

I’m not sure why your sons 7800 only cost 17,000…What brand is it? The one I’m getting is ASUS and has 256ram. Not sure if there is a “lite” version of that card…dunno.

at that price i would def. check not only the price of each part but also the brand: corsair or oz ram for instance arent quite the same as cheap brands they might throw in… dont forget that psu is very imprtant for this kind of high level machines. be sure you get a quality product.

also, just how long wil it take for your rig to be outdated? thats the biggest problem i think. no matter how much you invest right now, it’ll be worth half the price you’re paying or even less after 6 months… pretty scary.

if i were u, i’ll just get a xbox360. it’s a kick-ass gaming machine and it wont be beaten for a while (~12000nt for a 3 core cpu and top notch gfx!!!). well, if only they had cool games that use all its power… :s

There is a guy selling a complete computer on this forum that has a 4.53ghz Pentium4 for only $15,000! Somehow I feel he is lying a bit.

overclocked?!

Thanks again Satellite. I’ve been shopping around this morning. And at first it looked like I was overpaying a lot for my 7800…but there are quite a few kinds of 7800s out there.

GeForce 7800 GTX Prices - scroll down to last three on list

I’ll go to the shop and get the exact model number and show them that I’m doing this kind of research. I’m supposed to pick up the comp on Friday…so I’ve got time to sort out any little “bugs” in the deal.

Also I’m going to tell them I want to watch when it’s assembled. That way I can make sure the things are new from the box.

You wouldn’t believe how often something gets returned as “broken” and they just put it back up on the shelf…how often? Like 90% of the time I’m guessing.

…mind you, if I wasn’t such an idiot I would have done the shopping around and price comparing BEFORE I paid the deposit on the computer. Ahh, such is life as a compulsive shopper.

You spent all that money on a tricked out computer and only spent 4000 on a monitor? I paid 16k for a 17".

Your set-up sounds great but what good is it if you have a crap monitor?

You spent all that money on a tricked out computer and only spent 4000 on a monitor? I paid 16k for a 17".

Your set-up sounds great but what good is it if you have a crap monitor?[/quote]

I’m willing to bet that’s his secondary monitor.

Your set-up sounds great but what good is it if you have a crap monitor?[/quote]

I’m willing to bet that’s his secondary monitor.[/quote]

Close…the monitor is to put with my old system…which I will then give to my girlfriend. I’ll use my old monitor with the new system…it’s a 19" flat screen…

Mordeth.
You realise your “old” computer is almost exactly the same specs as mine. Now I feel like my computer’s crap. :frowning:

[quote=“irishstu”]Mordeth.
You realise your “old” computer is almost exactly the same specs as mine. Now I feel like my computer’s crap. :frowning:[/quote]

No way man. I put my “old” comp into an online survey and it was in the top 3% of all computers (it’s just a bitch trying to get into that top 1% :wink: ). That’s not crap…I just play video games a lot…maybe 5-10 hours a day. And since so much of my life is devoted to playing computers…I might as well have the best one I can buy.

Good news. I went to the store and met with the foreigner loving boss. He went through the list of items…and cut the price a few thousand…he showed me their wholesale price for my graphics card and dropped the price on that a bit as well. And with the money he saved me…I decided to get the new Dual Core AMD 3800 CPU.

Really nice guy that boss…I feel good about my purchase now…which is a step up from yesterday when I felt like throwing up.

so, what are u going to play with this rig? its meant be to be pushed to its limits, right?

I just downloaded an atari emulator…so Pac-Man mostly.

Your “old” computer is better than mine and I like how HL2 looks on my computer. :noway:

I wish I have 66000 to spend on a computer.

[quote=“Sideway”]Your “old” computer is better than mine and I like how HL2 looks on my computer. :noway:

I wish I have 66000 to spend on a computer.[/quote]

I play on “Jake’s Funhouse of Horror” mostly…I go as "The English Teacher!!!..come visit me sometime and I’ll shoot you in the face :wink: . I’m usually on mornings from 9am to 2pm off and on. If you see any “FF” members in there they all know me pretty well.