Just spent 66,000 on a new computer - Which graphic card?

I just downloaded an atari emulator…so Pac-Man mostly.[/quote]

You only have DDR ram at 400mhz… cause AMD didnt pay to get the latest tech which allows DDR2 800mhz and I’ve only got 2GB DDR2 533 but my lad runs 3GB DDR2 667 mhz ram. Faster ram makes a difference too.

My son has this Sparkle GTX 7800

I just downloaded an atari emulator…so Pac-Man mostly.[/quote]

Hahaha!!! :bravo: :bravo:

Yeah, it seems my RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck. But hopefully my 3.8 ghz equivalent of a CPU will hasten things up.

I’ll still mainly be playing Half-Life 2. And the new F.E.A.R. which is a real system hog. And I’ll probably replay some old games with all the goodies maxed out.

just talked to the guy at the shop…I asked if going with intel and faster RAM would be a good idea…and he said “No.”. He said the numbers of the RAM “speed” don’t accurately reflect the performance gain (like so many things with computers)…and that the AMD Dual Core CPU is much better than the intel equvalents…so for the best gaming computer…I should stick with what I have.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Yeah, it seems my RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck. But hopefully my 3.8 ghz equivalent of a CPU will hasten things up.

I’ll still mainly be playing Half-Life 2. And the new F.E.A.R. which is a real system hog. And I’ll probably replay some old games with all the goodies maxed out.[/quote]

He’s playing battlefield2 with every video setting to maximum…

[quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Mordeth”]Yeah, it seems my RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck. But hopefully my 3.8 ghz equivalent of a CPU will hasten things up.

I’ll still mainly be playing Half-Life 2. And the new F.E.A.R. which is a real system hog. And I’ll probably replay some old games with all the goodies maxed out.[/quote]

He’s playing battlefield2 with every video setting to maximum…[/quote]

How old is your son (if you don’t mind me asking)? Just curious as I don’t think you’re that old Sat.

On the topic of what games I’ll be playing. Half-Life 2 released a free demo of the new effects that will be coming in the new HL2 expansion pack. It’s called “Half-Life 2: Loast Coast” and it slows my computer right down…that’s another reason I’m getting the new one.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Satellite TV”][quote=“Mordeth”]Yeah, it seems my RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck. But hopefully my 3.8 ghz equivalent of a CPU will hasten things up.

He’s playing battlefield2 with every video setting to maximum…[/quote]

How old is your son (if you don’t mind me asking)? Just curious as I don’t think you’re that old Sat.

On the topic of what games I’ll be playing. Half-Life 2 released a free demo of the new effects that will be coming in the new HL2 expansion pack. It’s called “Half-Life 2: Loast Coast” and it slows my computer right down…that’s another reason I’m getting the new one.[/quote]

My son has the HL2 expansion pack which also has new weapons too… he’s 14…

[quote=“Satellite TV”]

My son has the HL2 expansion pack which also has new weapons too… he’s 14…[/quote]

Lucky kid…his father buys him a 16,000 dollar graphics card. My dad didn’t live with me, but he always had a top of the line computer…which he couldn’t use worth shit. And he never sent anything my way.

Don’t mean to correct you about HL2…but there are a few “mods” out for it…but the expansion pack doesn’t come out for another month at least. Maybe you’re thinking of the new “Day of Defeat - source” for HL2. The expansion is called “Half-Life 2: Aftermath”.

[quote=“Mordeth”]Yeah, it seems my RAM will be a bit of a bottleneck. But hopefully my 3.8 ghz equivalent of a CPU will hasten things up.
[/quote]

You should be okay with your RAM. Modern AMD CPU’s have the memory controller built in, where Intel CPU’s have it on an extra chip. This 2 chip design slows down memory access.

Good choise on the AMD dual core CPU. I am thinking about getting one myself. Just cannot justify the price at the moment.

In America it seems you can get the 4200+ dual core for not much more than the 3800+ dual core. But in Taiwan they act as if the 3800+ is the absolute top of the line. :s

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Ironman”]

You typed this with the new one right? Seems quite good.[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo: , pretty funny. I just want to know people’s opinions on graphics cards…two 6800s for 16,000nt or one 7800 for 21,000nt.[/quote]

I would also go for a single 7800. The SLI is a nice idea, but has not proven to double the performance of one card. Plus, you have two of those hair dryers in your box, meaning double the noise. And why spending NT$4000+ for an excellent sound card, when the grafics card fans ruin all the fun.

You might want to have a look at those, they cancel out the fan noise quiet a bit.

bose.com/controller?event=VI … index&ck=0

But don’t blame me if you are spending another NT$10000 for some headphones.

I know, if I would ever upgrade, I will make sure that some friend from the US comes and visits at the same time.

[quote=“ratlung”][quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Ironman”]

You typed this with the new one right? Seems quite good.[/quote]

:laughing: :bravo: , pretty funny. I just want to know people’s opinions on graphics cards…two 6800s for 16,000nt or one 7800 for 21,000nt.[/quote]

I would also go for a single 7800. The SLI is a nice idea, but has not proven to double the performance of one card. Plus, you have two of those hair dryers in your box, meaning double the noise. And why spending NT$4000+ for an excellent sound card, when the grafics card fans ruin all the fun.

You might want to have a look at those, they cancel out the fan noise quiet a bit.

bose.com/controller?event=VI … index&ck=0

But don’t blame me if you are spending another NT$10000 for some headphones.[/quote]

I’ve done some research on it…and I agree, the 7800 seems better than two 6800s for the same price.

One 6800 uses almost twice as much wattage as a 7800. And the 6800 is thick enough to use up two slots. And the 7800 being the newwer model will have some features that the 6800 won’t. Two 6800s might give higher FPS, but the 7800 would give a prettier picture.

[quote=“Mordeth”]
No way man. I put my “old” comp into an online survey and it was in the top 3% of all computers (it’s just a bitch trying to get into that top 1% :wink: )[/quote]

Is this online survey still available?

It was through steam: steampowered.com/index.php . I forget how you get the survey started…I think it just automatically asks you if it can enter your info into it’s survey. But if you don’t already have steam you should get it. There are some great games you can buy directly to your computer. Including the game that was voted “Best Game of the Year” by over 35 different organizations…HALF-LIFE 2.

I play HL2 once in a while. Haven’t found much time recently though. :frowning: I think I now remember, the survey might have popped up when I installed steam. I thought they already have enough information about me, and I wanted to keep it to a minimum. That’s why I did not enter. Plus I don’t really like the concept behind steam. I just was interested in looking at the list itself.

Another look at the Asus 7800 and why it costs more than other 7800s: 3davenue.com/1434.html

So you bought my computer :slight_smile: Me want too. :notworthy:

Yes. You got the right Video card. 1 7800 is better than 2 6800’s.
But there are many “flavours” of cards. Yours is almost the best. It only has 250 memory??? Oppps. Better take it back and get the 512 version or you will have to throw up again. Sounds like you paid about the right price. Remember you get TAX at home.

PS! AMD for games only!! :bravo:

[quote=“Chicken”]So you bought my computer :slight_smile: Me want too. :notworthy:

Yes. You got the right Video card. 1 7800 is better than 2 6800’s.
But there are many “flavours” of cards. Yours is almost the best. It only has 250 memory??? Oppps. Better take it back and get the 512 version or you will have to throw up again. Sounds like you paid about the right price. Remember you get TAX at home.

PS! AMD for games only!! :bravo:[/quote]

The 7800 GTX 512 is around 26,000nt… You think it’s worth it to pay the extra 6,000 (I he came down 1k from the original 21k)?

found this link to answer my own qustion: theinquirer.net/?article=28349

looks like the 512 gives about a 20% increase in FPS for which you pay about 25% more. So if you have the money it seems about worth it…I don’t have the money I’m thinking.

Na. Its not worth it aside from bragging rights.

Bandwidth is more important and they are both the same.
In your system the only bottleneck will maybe be system memory and your hard drives. Ya gota do RAID0 with a pair of 10000rpm SATA2 drives with 8 cash NCQ (I think that’s it) and all the bells and whistles.

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

My son has the HL2 expansion pack which also has new weapons too… he’s 14…[/quote]

Lucky kid…his father buys him a 16,000 dollar graphics card. My dad didn’t live with me, but he always had a top of the line computer…which he couldn’t use worth shit. And he never sent anything my way.

Don’t mean to correct you about HL2…but there are a few “mods” out for it…but the expansion pack doesn’t come out for another month at least. Maybe you’re thinking of the new “Day of Defeat - source” for HL2. The expansion is called “Half-Life 2: Aftermath”.[/quote]

Sorry I meant the BF2 expansion pack.

How else can I play BF2 with my son if he doesn’t have the best gear. :wink: :wink:

I just need an average puter for my business so my graphics card is the standard ATIX600 256mb card… :blush: :blush: