Just Wondering

If I am a resident in Taiwan (I just arrived less then 3 months) and if my wife and I divorce, do I lose my resident status right away or can I keep it for the year that it’s valid for? How long does a divorce take to process? We have no children and own no property together.

Would it be a consensual or statutory divorce? If both parties consent to the divorce, it will be rather simple and take a relatively short time… I think only the time it takes to register the divorce. If, alternatively, one of you sues for divorce (statutory) and the other does not want to have a divorce, there will be a trial and that could take quite a bit of time, notwithstanding the fact that you have no children or property.

I am more concerned with this question:
Do I lose my resident status right away or can I keep it for the year that it’s valid for?

If you have a JFRV, You lose it right away, your reason for staying is no longer valid.
If your wife died, you would have to leave pretty soon, you probably wouldn’t be allowed to attend your own wife’s funeral.

… I believe, so correct me if I’m wrong someone.

For work visas you usually get 10 days past when the foreign police are informed that your employment has ended. In practice in will take at least a few days for the paperwork to get processed, so it is usually longer. If you got a divorce it would depend on if your ex-spouse or the court notify the foreign police. If that slips their mind, the police may not hear about it right away.

If your spouse dies it’s a murkier subject because they give the possibility that you can keep residency if you have children or significant ties to the community, but there’s no clearcut regulations or guidelines on how they will handle individual cases. Until one of us has to go through that unfortunate event, we will not have any precedent to look to.

Not that I’m asking if any of us has gone through this situation, but I’m curious to know if there is any new information on what would happen if the Taiwanese spouse dies. My wife and I have a house (registered in her name) and one child, with another on the way.

Anyone have info? Guesses?

I would go for permanent residency. It only ends with you leaving on your own accord, or you dying.

Ah, good advice, as always Mr. He! Thanks.

In general, the less you rely on others for things like residency ownership of this and that etc, the better.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]If you have a JFRV, You lose it right away, your reason for staying is no longer valid.
If your wife died, you would have to leave pretty soon, you probably wouldn’t be allowed to attend your own wife’s funeral.

… I believe, so correct me if I’m wrong someone.[/quote]

Yeah Bollocks as usual on the last point. If you spouse passes away and you have no kids you may remain for a further 12 months.

As for not being allowed to attend the funeral… that’s only not allowed if you killed the damned bitch yourself probably and they know that already. You got caught on video you’re screwed.

But if your mistress kills ya missus you just might be allowed to sneak in to kiss your ex wifes corps.

Some local families just dont want no furriners attending anyways

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]
If your wife died, you would have to leave pretty soon, you probably wouldn’t be allowed to attend your own wife’s funeral.[/quote]

And what if she magically disappears … how long before the government decides to kick you out ? :angel:

PS: I am not magician.