K&N air filter? + another Q

is 3200NT too much?

i just paid just under 7k for the following:
three quarts of oil
brake fluid change (both front and rear)
coolant change
k&n air filter
new oil filter (brand?)
(perhaps new fork oil? not sure)

… also… on the ride home, i noticed the bike felt very different… i’m aware that he filled the front tire to 2.5kg, but not sure about the rear… usually i run at 2.2 and 2.8… the bike felt like i was turning more from the handlebars (like at low speed) than proper countersteering/leaning… is this because of that? or did they fiddle with something else?

Doesn’t mean shit to this post,’
But in Cali, one of the 1st things I did to my ElDo’s was switch to K&N Filters.

Not really applicable here. But it beats answering the wifes calling for me right now.

sorry… but yes, NT$3200 is way too much for a K&N filter… though they differin price and size model for model, I paid NT$1800 for mine from a BMW dealer and they have sky high prices for everything… the MSRP for the Hornet’s filter is US$60, so around NT$2000 plus add a bit of profit for the locals and you’re still quite far away from NT$3200… I have a mate that sells them here in Taichung, if you ever need another one let me know…

the K&N filter will make a big difference to how the engine feels, the bike breathes way easier and there will be less engine braking, more air is getting in, so ideally you’d want to let more air out with an aftermarket exhaust to increase outflow… I’d say put the tire pressures back to what you usually ride on, somewhere near 32F 42R and see how it feels…

[quote=“plasmatron”]sorry… but yes, NT$3200 is way too much for a K&N filter… though they differin price and size model for model, I paid NT$1800 for mine from a BMW dealer and they have sky high prices for everything… the MSRP for the Hornet’s filter is US$60, so around NT$2000 plus add a bit of profit for the locals and you’re still quite far away from NT$3200… I have a mate that sells them here in Taichung, if you ever need another one let me know…

the K&N filter will make a big difference to how the engine feels, the bike breathes way easier and there will be less engine braking, more air is getting in, so ideally you’d want to let more air out with an aftermarket exhaust to increase outflow… I’d say put the tire pressures back to what you usually ride on, somewhere near 32F 42R and see how it feels…[/quote]

my wallet won’t allow a new pipe :frowning: nor will the missus unless i can prove that it’s spare dosh

[quote=“x08”]is 3200NT too much?

I just paid just under 7k for the following:
three quarts of oil
brake fluid change (both front and rear)
coolant change
k&n air filter
new oil filter (brand?)
(perhaps new fork oil? not sure)

… also… on the ride home, I noticed the bike felt very different… I’m aware that he filled the front tire to 2.5kg, but not sure about the rear… usually i run at 2.2 and 2.8… the bike felt like I was turning more from the handlebars (like at low speed) than proper countersteering/leaning… is this because of that? or did they fiddle with something else?[/quote]

I think you paid too much…I paid NT$2,000 for K&N on my CB400…

K&N filters vary greatly in price. There is a shop near me that sell them. They range from around 1500 to over 4000. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

mmm… well… spoke to the mechanic about any changes he made… and he said that you can’t fiddle with the front forks… and he didn’t do anything to the rear shock… so the only difference was the extra .3kg of pressure at the front tire…

now that i’ve adjusted to it, i like it…

… and i need a new front tire :frowning: another $3800 next pay day… gone…

If you’re going to spend money on a K & N filter and/or an aftermarket exhaust pipe, you will also need to rejet your carbs (if it’s not fuel injected)!
Be wary of local aftermarket exhausts. They just make a loud noise. You may think you’re going faster, but you’re not.
You may also get flatspots.
It’s very important to get the breathing correct on a bike. If you add a K&N filter and a loud exhaust, there is a lot more air going into the engine, and if the jetting is incorrect (carb model) the engine will run a weak fuel mixture, causing the engine to overheat with the possibility of damaging the pistons and valves.
A fuel injected engine won’t need rejetting, because the air mass meter will sense the extra air entering the engine and adjust the fuel intake accordingly.
I only meant to make a short comment, but started ranting. Sorry.
Hope this helps, anyway.

[quote=“scotty”]If you’re going to spend money on a K & N filter and/or an aftermarket exhaust pipe, you will also need to rejet your carbs (if it’s not fuel injected)!
Be wary of local aftermarket exhausts. They just make a loud noise. You may think you’re going faster, but you’re not.
You may also get flatspots.
It’s very important to get the breathing correct on a bike. If you add a K&N filter and a loud exhaust, there is a lot more air going into the engine, and if the jetting is incorrect (carb model) the engine will run a weak fuel mixture, causing the engine to overheat with the possibility of damaging the pistons and valves.
A fuel injected engine won’t need rejetting, because the air mass meter will sense the extra air entering the engine and adjust the fuel intake accordingly.
I only meant to make a short comment, but started ranting. Sorry.
Hope this helps, anyway.[/quote]

So for a fuel injected bike a aftermarket pipe and a K&N air filter should be enough for a slight improvement? And shouldn’t harm the bike in any way?

If I had a decent fuel injected bike, I would put a K&N filter on and a reputable pipe to gain a bit of hose power. If I could afford it, I would add a superchip as well.
Actually, the first mod would be the superchip.

[quote=“scotty”]If I had a decent fuel injected bike, I would put a K&N filter on and a reputable pipe to gain a bit of hose power. If I could afford it, I would add a superchip as well.
Actually, the first mod would be the superchip.[/quote]

Superchip?

For some bikes, you can change (or remap) the IC chip, which controls the amount of fuel and air into your engine.
The “chip” is located in your computer.
For more info about your bike, do a google search for ‘superchip’ or ‘chiptuning’. If there is one available, it’s usually a straight forward procedure for someone with the know-how.
It’s worth a look.

[quote=“scotty”]For some bikes, you can change (or remap) the IC chip, which controls the amount of fuel and air into your engine.
The “chip” is located in your computer.
For more info about your bike, do a google search for ‘superchip’ or ‘chiptuning’. If there is one available, it’s usually a straight forward procedure for someone with the know-how.
It’s worth a look.[/quote]

It doesn’t sound like that differs from a Power Commander, the P.C. hooks up to your Fuel Injection and can change the mixture for more power…and less enviromentalism: powercommander.com/featintro.shtml

only done the filter… exhaust is still stock… and yes, she has now got a slight flat spot while cold (in that it’s more noticeable than before) and below 3500rpm… but for the remaining 12500 it’s all bliss. :smiley:

x08, BTW I checked the list price of the K&N for your Hornet 250 from my mate who is a K&N sales agent for them here in Taichung… It’s NT$2400 and that obviously includes his profit… You need to sit down and have a serious talk with whoever charged you NT$3800, that is not cool… a little mark up is sometimes the way things work here, but overcharging by NT$1400 on a NT$2400 item is way offsides…