Kaepernick, sacrifice, and freedom of speech

Lost millions of dollars for their inability to keep their personal issues from affecting their careers!

Idiots!

2 Likes

So making a huge personal sacrifice for one’s strongly held principles is idiotic now? That used to be considered admirable–even, in extreme cases, heroic.

4 Likes

You obviously haven’t been keeping up, man.
Principles are indicators of character weakness and a source of ridicule.

This is a good point. Whatever one’s viewpoint, the sacrifice is laudable.

So sad… all those GI who died fighting Nazism. … all those civil rights marchers beaten , jailed and even killed…all those doctors and nurses working for next to nothing to eradicate smallpox and polio around the world. … all just a bunch of idiots…

2 Likes

Bunch of saps!!

Helpful hint: you’ve been trolled. :shushing_face:

Dr. Milker needs to turn on his sarcasm detector.

Helpful hint: I’ve been trolled. :grin:

2 Likes

This is a missed the point.

One out of two ain’t bad.

Me too.

I agree with you. However, there is a time and place for everything. There are laws in the US as it pertains to employment and activities that you are allowed and/or not allowed to do in the work-place.

The work-place is a place of business and bringing in outside issues that have nothing to do with your job description and or duties is prohibited. Everyone in the work-place has a right to perform their duties in an environment that is healthy for all and free from harassment.

For example:

1. No proselytizing - Keep your personal, religious business out of the office and to yourself. Do not hold bible studies, do not pass out literature, do not try to convert others to join your religion.

2. No soliciting - Do not solicit your co-workers to donate to religious, charitable, political or any other causes to include girl scout cookies.

3. No sex talk - No one wants to hear about who you did it with, how you did it or how often! Sex talk of any type can cause others to feel uncomfortable and harassed.

4. Illegal activity - Do not discuss or promote illegal activity such as usage of illegal drugs, downloading off the Internet, etc.

5. No political talk - Any hot button political discussions are prohibited. For example gay marriage, LBTPQRSLMGYY+=? issues, impeachment of the president, abortion, homelessness, etc.

If you engage in any of the above activities, you will be invited into the human resources office to be counseled on appropriate behavior in the work-place. Repeated violations of these work-place rules will get you dismissed.

So, let’s talk about Colin Kaepernick. Is being a social activist in accordance with his job description and responsibilities as a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers? No. He brought a serious, hot button political issue into his work-place and attempted to use his employment position, his direct employer (49ers) and corporate headquarters (NFL) as a platform for social change. He was in the wrong and he screwed up his career for it. If he were so inclined to be a social activist and remain employed as an NFL quarterback, he should have done his social activism on his own time and outside of his work-place. He was an idiot for this and a double idiot for voluntarily opting out of his contract with the 49ers and thinking that any other team would want to take on the media shit storm that his behavior caused. Do your social activism on your own time, not your employer’s!

Chris Klewe - Awesome NFL punter for the Minnesota Vikings. One day, this guy got a wild hair up his ass and decided to use his position and his employer to be a platform to defend gay rights and support gay NFL football players. He’s not gay himself, so that’s an interesting thing. At any rate, instead of focusing on his job and skills as an NFL punter, he took up the mantle of gay causes and brought a media shit storm onto the Minnesota Vikings. Once his contract was up, the Vikings did not re-sign him and Chris Klewe said it was because the Vikings management hated gays and that he became a mouth piece for gay rights. He was briefly signed by Oakland, but then released shortly. He never got signed by another team. Bad punter? Declining skills? Nope. He decided that being a gay rights advocate was more important. Now he’s got plenty of time to be a social activist, but he’s just a forgotten footnote and has largely disappeared from the public eye. Do your social activism on your own time, not your employer’s.

Tim Tebow - Nice fella and I don’t feel he was too bad of a QB. But, poor Timmy couldn’t keep his mouth shut about Jesus. The media and the fans got sick of hearing his tired mantra of, “But first I would like to thank our lord and savior jesus christ!” It was sickening! After orchestrating an amazing come back win, the media rushed the field to ask him, “Tim, Tim! What a great comeback! Tell us about it and how you and your team managed to do it!” and Tim replied time and time again, “But first, I would like to blah blah blah blah”. Nobody wanted to hear that crap. Do your own religious crap on your own time, not your employer’s.

Antonio Brown - Self-explanatory. Google him. His latest…farting multiple times in the face of a medical doctor whilst being examined.

Conclusion: Do the job for which you were hired and don’t try to use your job position or your employer as a platform to further goals and/or issues that have nothing to do with the reason you were hired. If you do, then you’re an idiot!

2 Likes

These are fair points. However, it’s a bit tricky when the workplace is fluid. Should Clint Eastwood make his opinion at a political conference? Taylor Swift discuss LGBTQ?

Sounds a bit like a legalised attack on freedom of speech.

If you’re not at your place of employment, it should be fine.

1 Like

Good examples. I was actually going to add a blurb about independent contractors such as actors and singers, etc. This is different, because they are independent and don’t necessarily work for a traditional type of company. They might have relationships with producers and record companies and movie companies, but they can move in and out based on their public behavior. Look at Mel Gibson. Still making movies after multiple racist and religious remarks.

Actually it protects the other employees from behavior that could make them feel harassed and it protects the company from lawsuits from harassed employees when a company doesn’t restrict other employees’ behavior.

America…the land of litigation!

Jesus.
From the approximately 1000 ways that going to play a professional sport is different from working at a normal job, let’s choose the most obvious one.

Most jobs don’t require the National Anthem to be played and the flag addressed (what is it with you guys and that flag anyways???) at the beginning of every shift.
If they did, there would definitely be allowances written in from the Union and HR allowing individuals to seek exception from the requirement, just like it’s against the law for most employers to make their employees pray or anything.

Your analogy is flawed.

3 Likes

I’m not arguing with either of you guys. I’m just curious about where a sacred right’s limits are. It’s very interesting.

No. It’s not flawed. It’s the law.

And…I hate that our money has “In God We Trust” on it. Shouldn’t be there. Having it there is a direct state endorsement for religion. We espouse separation of church and state, but there it is right on the money!

And I hate that the pledge of allegiance had the words “under God” added to it in 1952 in order to show a difference between the US and the godless commies. Shouldn’t be in it. Separation of church and state.

@BiggusDickus is right…this is very interesting.

Sounds dull too