Kai Ko 柯震東 drug bust

I’m surprised Hokwongwei haven’t made a thread about this yet, but Kai Ko has been busted in China for use of marijuana. It’s been all over the news to the point where even I begin to think that there’s literally nothing to report here in Taiwan. Even on channel 58 where it’s business/economics news it’s being reported. C’mon, that’s my go to channel for nonsense free news.

Fair that Jackie Chan’s son may just get a slap on the wrist bc of his dad’s “guan xi”? Even though news outlets claim, if accused, Jaycee Chan can serve 3 years in prison.

This news is a clear example of difference of marijuana usage in the east and west.

My favorite star reaction has to be from 陳妍希 Michelle, (played Kai Ko’s love interest, 沈佳宜 Shen Chia Yi, in Apple of my Eye):

“真是個大笨蛋”
“He really is a big idiot”

For anyone who’s watched “Apple of my Eye”, you’ll understand her reaction.

Chen Yen-hsi is the only one who has reacted to this situation appropriately. Well, her and me. Because I have completely ignored it.

Seriously, look at all the stuff surrounding Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber, etc etc practically every day. Hell, even the mayor of Toronto can smoke crack on video – TWICE – and admit to it and still plan to seek reelection. And meanwhile in this hemisphere, Ke Chen-tung breaks down crying and apologizes to the public for smoking weed.

The best part though is all the headlines saying “drug use” and even “drug abuse.” Yes, marijuana is a drug, but so are alcohol and tobacco. Insert eyeroll here.

I did mention this mess in the laowai and drugs thread. Here: forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtop … 0#p1625680

Well, their careers are over. While in the West no one at the arts level would bait an eye, in China the agencies have signed a pact that any artist who is caught in this web or anti drugs, will not be hired ever again. Period.

People have been executed for what they are charging Jaycee, so 3 years is actually a slap in the wrist due to deference to his father. Please also remember that he is not in good standing there, being left out of inheritance -Jackie has said his fortune will go all to charity, his son can fend for himself, that says a lot.

Plus it was over 100grams what was caught, assorted paraphernalia and other non revealed yet substances.

It is moreover a show of force. Even famous Jacky Chen’s abode is open to police, no one is high enough not to be touched… yeah, right.

As to the Taiwanese guy, I am pleased he was not made a scapegoat. He was made, though, a stool pigeon, and has dragged a list of big names that will be revealed eventually at appropriate times when suitable.

It’s not just a drug bust, it’s about Xi Jinping sending a warning to Jiang Zheming’s followers. Jackie Chen is a member of the National Committee of the Chinese People, and he got there with the support of Jiang’s influence. Xi has been systematically purging the remnant of Jiang’s allies. The Chinese police were onto Fang’s drug habits for a long time, they only act now because Jackie Chen led Jiang followers at an anti-occupy-central rally in Hong Kong on Aug. 17th, which happens to be Jiang’s birthday.

Not saying Fang shouldn’t be responsible for possession, but this kind of selective prosecution is typical Chinese internal power struggle bullshit.

Yummy, now that was a tasty piece of gossip that I haven’t heard so far in my not so enjoyable listening to the anti drug spits of the talk show hosts!

You kind of feel sorry for these “artists” whenever they get caught doing drugs. They have to put on the whole weepy “I’m so sorry for taking drugs. It was such a huge mistake. I’ve let down my family, my fans, blah blah blah…” Anyone would need a serious toke on the peace pipe after going through that! I guess it’s good practice for their next weepy role in the latest “idol drama” though. That is, of course, unless they get permanently blacklisted.

In the words of Peter Tosh: Legalize it, don’t you criticize it…

[quote=“Dr. Milker”]You kind of feel sorry for these “artists” whenever they get caught doing drugs. They have to put on the whole weepy “I’m so sorry for taking drugs. It was such a huge mistake. I’ve let down my family, my fans, blah blah blah…” Anyone would need a serious toke on the peace pipe after going through that! I guess it’s good practice for their next weepy role in the latest “idol drama” though. That is, of course, unless they get permanently blacklisted.

In the words of Peter Tosh: Legalize it, don’t you criticize it…[/quote]

In a free country, the celebrities would hold a press conference and admit their faults publicly. In China, you have a staged confession, before a judge has passed sentence, on a government ran TV news station and have half of their faces blurred for… god knows why, and still show their full-name in the graphics.

The masaike is thoughtfully placed over their faces to hide their great shame. :slight_smile:

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“Dr. Milker”]You kind of feel sorry for these “artists” whenever they get caught doing drugs. They have to put on the whole weepy “I’m so sorry for taking drugs. It was such a huge mistake. I’ve let down my family, my fans, blah blah blah…” Anyone would need a serious toke on the peace pipe after going through that! I guess it’s good practice for their next weepy role in the latest “idol drama” though. That is, of course, unless they get permanently blacklisted.

In the words of Peter Tosh: Legalize it, don’t you criticize it…[/quote]

In a free country, the celebrities would hold a press conference and admit their faults publicly. In China, you have a staged confession, before a judge has passed sentence, on a government ran TV news station and have half of their faces blurred for… god knows why, and still show their full-name in the graphics.[/quote]

I was watching the news when that video was first released and was wondering, why on earth would you blur out his face. Then…I realized it was China.

Apparently, there’s a groundswell of support for 柯震東among his Chinese fans, who are making comments like “Hey, what’s wrong with taking taking drugs? It’s totally normal in this day and age.” I guess it makes sense when you consider the massive drug use among young Chinese these days, although unfortunately it’s mostly nasty club drugs just like in Taiwan.

Considering 柯 only took marijuana, I can see where that comes from.

Ko is expected to be released/return to Taiwan Thursday. Expect massive press brouhaha.

Looks like a good day to take a sick day ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º

Crying like a baby at his press conference. :cry:
Father talking about how he will now change the methods to raise his son. :doh:

I guess now that he has more limited employment options (that is an assumption on my part) daddy will have to increase his allowance and let his son relax away from all the media pressure…I guess he will have no pressure to work for another 5 years. Maybe a nice vacation abroad will help his son put things into perspective. France seems to be a popular spot now among young Taiwanese. :discodance:

Hmmm…maybe this kid is smarter than he looks. :ponder:

Whoops. Doesn’t he still have his military training to do? Heard he is still a “college student”

[quote=“Flakman”]Crying like a baby at his press conference. :cry:

I guess now that he has more limited employment options (that is an assumption on my part) daddy will have to increase his allowance and let his son relax away from all the media pressure…I guess he will have no pressure to work for another 5 years. Maybe a nice vacation abroad will help his son put things into perspective. France seems to be a popular spot now among young Taiwanese. :discodance:

Whoops. Doesn’t he still have his military training to do? Heard he is still a “college student”[/quote]

He’s only 23, hasn’t done military service yet.

So that’s also an option, but I think he will wait til this whole mess has blown over to enlist.

[quote=“ranlee”][quote=“Flakman”]Crying like a baby at his press conference. :cry:

Whoops. Doesn’t he still have his military training to do? Heard he is still a “college student”[/quote]

He’s only 23, hasn’t done military service yet.

So that’s also an option, but I think he will wait til this whole mess has blown over to enlist.[/quote]

They are talking about a 3 year incarceration. Hope it is just scaremongering /bad press.

The way the press conference in China and the one in Taiwan were handled have upset many (???) and this issue can turn either side -ugly or easy- anytime.

I’d give the kid another chance … after he does his military service and hopefully finishes his studies. Many artists do enjoy the life on the fast lane -wine and women and “song”- but he got caught and has to pay the piper. he’ll have to keep the appearances beyond clean, Chinese markets do not go for Lindsay Lohan types. Hypocritical and puritan, yes, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

[quote=“Icon”]
They are talking about a 3 year incarceration. Hope it is just scaremongering /bad press.

The way the press conference in China and the one in Taiwan were handled have upset many (???) and this issue can turn either side -ugly or easy- anytime.

I’d give the kid another chance … after he does his military service and hopefully finishes his studies. Many artists do enjoy the life on the fast lane -wine and women and “song”- but he got caught and has to pay the piper. he’ll have to keep the appearances beyond clean, Chinese markets do not go for Lindsay Lohan types. Hypocritical and puritan, yes, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.[/quote]

I really think it could be worse for him.

This is a perfect example of how eastern and western drug policies are complete opposites.

His news has also started a huge wave of drug busts at night clubs in Taipei. I live near the Living Mall and for the past few weeks, a bunch of cop cars were parked outside getting ready for a bust or just looking for trouble.

It is election year. Really a bad time to look for trouble, it will be found.

And yes, it could have been worse, but he is not out of the woods yet. I feel also for Jaycee Chen. Now that is going to get uglier.

I would much rather hang out with people that had taken E than were pissed up on booze.

So would I, ha ha. But I wouldn’t want to be taking it…