Kang Chiao Hsinchu Campus 康橋新竹校區

Different name, but presumably similar set-up, does anyone have experience with YoDer International School in Jhongli?

Oh gosh, I’m so sorry to hear about those unfortunate experiences :pensive: It seems really tricky to land a proper teaching job in Taiwan that has good working conditions… The international schools I’ve applied to have been very competitive, so I am looking into Kang Chiao and other options. I considered Taiwan’s public elementary schools, but from what I’ve read online about them it seems like their English curriculum isn’t very structured.

Thanks for all the insight about Kang Chiao. Do you mind elaborating how it’s illegal to teach kindergarten? I’m just curious - do kindy teachers have to be legally certified with Taiwanese credentials?

Its all over this forum. You cannot legally teach English to Taiwanese children under the age of 6. Kangchaio is probably not as strict about legitimate international students, in that there are probably kids there who straight up do not have foreign passports (if everyone is “foreign” and the school is registered as an international school, this rule doesn’t apply) Theres a grey area in that song and dance in English may be legal, but as soon as they are reading and writing in English, sorry, you’ve broken the law. You also have to have the proper credentials and cannot teach kindy in Taiwan if you do not have them. I have no idea if a masters in early childhood education or a preschool teaching license (or the like) from another country counts. Its quite likely you need to be certified from a Taiwanese university.

International schools in taiwan are a complete fucking joke outside of TAS and TES. I did hear KAS or I-shou in kaoshiung are not as bad, but the rest of the schools are an absolute fucking joke.

It’s why fully licensed teachers rarely ever sign contracts in Taiwan. Imagine signing a contract as a fully accredited teacher for the grand sum of 70-90k per month. You have to be an absolute fucking moron to sign that. I can toss a sticky ball on the wall for 5-6hours a day and tell my boss to suck my BALLS if I don’t like the situation because I can get another job like it the next day.

Here is my confusion. To be employed at an officially accredited international school the teachers MUST be fully certified to be employed there because this is how the school receives it’s international school status. good luck getting a position at like Taipei American School with buxiban allstar on your resume, BUT you can get a position at one of those abusive christian schools in taiwan that somehow are plundering parents and paying their teachers absolute dog shit wages.

I don’t know a single person at those christian god fearing schools that have an actual license. Seems a bit contrary? using the lords name to plunder parents? makes a lot of sense. The cultists always win.

If you are a fully licensed teacher go to China and make proper money. I know a few people in China making close to 60k-80k USD in Chinese international schools, the entire “omg china” shit is way overblown.

The most mind boggling shit about those schools is that they are even allowed to be accredited. Or are they even accredited? I do see them on a list.

Taiwan
• American Montessori School Hsinchu
dog shit
• American School in Taichung
dog shit
• Columbia International College Taiwan
dog shit
• Cornel English School
dog shit
• Dominican International School Taipei
dog shit
• Hsinchu (Holland) International School
dog shit
• Hsinchu American School
dog shit
• Hsinchu County American School
dog shit
• I-Shou International School
idk
• International Bilingual School Tainan Science Park
dog shit
• International Bilingual School of Hsinchu
dog shit
• Ivy Collegiate Academy Taiwan
dog shit
• Juntou International School
dog shit
• Kang Chiao International School
dog shit
• Kaohsiung American School
idk, heard mixed reviews
• Kaohsiung Dominican School
steaming pile of dog shit
• Mingdao High School
dog shit
• National Nanke International Experimental
dog shit
• Pacific American School
dog shit
• Taipei American School
legit. real legit. hard to get in, expect to work a lot, but will be paid big.
• Taipei European School
legit.
• Taipei Kuei Shan School
dog shit
• Tsai Hsing Private School
dog shit

there you go complete comprehensive reviews for everyone.

most people I talk to consider ONLY TES and TAS proper legit international schools. so do your research.

@justintaiwan I understand what you’re saying. It’s a farce.

1 Like

Most don’t I’d say

1 Like

Completely untrue.

I know dozens upon dozens of teachers who are fully licensed trachers teaching at the schools you listed and at other private schools.

Almost all private schools require either licensed teachers or APRC with decent experience.

TAS no longer pays the nearly mythical triple digit salaries. Ive heard starting salary is on par with other private schools, albeit with a bit of a higher housing allowance.

1 Like

I know dozens upon dozens of teachers who are fully licensed trachers teaching at the schools you listed and at other private schools.

no, that’s absolutely not true. I know a lot of people who work at international schools listed above that aren’t TAS who are employed by those schools without a proper license. You do know people lie about stuff.

There is an actual public database that lists peoples teaching licenses. Look them up.

those teachers who are certified working for buxiban wages at those international schools listed above are not very bright. nearly 90% of their teachers don’t have actual licenses at those “international” schools.

TAS no longer pays the nearly mythical triple digit salaries. Ive heard starting salary is on par with other private schools, albeit with a bit of a higher housing allowance.

That’s also not true. TAS pays 60-80k usd per year. I’m willing to debate you on all these points above because you’re 100% wrong.

true

Just spoke to two teachers who applied there this year. They were offered 90K NTD a month.

Is the housing allowance only for overseas hires? Because I believe that’s something like 40k

so you’re telling me somebody with a full license is working at a fake international school where 99% of the other teachers don’t have an actual license for buxiban wages and 50% more actual work hours? They don’t have a license. sorry, there is no way.

Just spoke to two teachers who applied there this year. They were offered 90K NTD a month.

did they apply for after school tutoring? or cook? sounds like absolute bs. sorry. There is no way. i’ll bet you 1,000 ntd it’s bs. I know a guy who works at hiring and they start people at way way more. There is people out the door at TAS subbing for a chance to get into the school. i’ve done taxes for people who worked at TAS and let me tell you, it’s not 90k ntd per month.

You got something mixed up.

20,000 is housing allowance for TES and KAS. Have to be hired from overseas.

1 Like

A guy I met from TES said 40. Maybe he meant him and his partner combined.

him and his partner both work at the school?

They did when I met him

yeah so they’ll give them 20k a piece.

no.
Private school.
If a school is licensed to be international, then it isnt fake.
Maybe not up to your standards or expectations of international, but not fake.

Far from that number. More like 50% have a license.

Times have changed.
Ive been here nearly 2 decades.
When I first came, you could work anywhere with a bachelor’s or less.
Now, a teacher’s license is expected (private schools). Things have gotten tighter on restrictions and more competitive.

They tightened the restrictions but the salary still sucks (stagnant) so there is a lot more staffing issues.

I’m talking schools in general, I’m unsure about the international schools.

1 Like

id second that. One of the “international” schools I only lasted at because they were sort of accommodating to my time needed off to finish some higher ed stuff for myself, had not one other foreign teacher in the school with anything but previous sticky-ball tossing experience. They were BAD at everything too, often coming in and riling up students when it was obvious the Taiwanese teacher (who needed qualifications up the wazoo) was trying to get everyone to settle down. But, at 80k/month or whatever it was, that is an EXCELLENT salary for someone who would otherwise be paid 650/hr forever to be expected to be much more accountable for student learning.

I’d be very careful on that one. A lot of schools that are called “international” schools are not registered as international schools. I’ve seen a number of “international” private day schools open from 7:30 am to 4 pm, that, through much sleuthing, are actually registered as cram schools. Some of them are actually VERY good (like, I would want my children to go to them, if I had children), but most of them will have you ready to jump out the nearest window. I actually found myself explaining to the founder of one such school what “international” means. This founder literally thought that their “international class” was for “children whose parents hope they’ll study abroad one day.”

TAS and TES, requiring foreign passports, definitely real and registered international schools. Any school that accepts Taiwanese passport holders (by which I mean not dual-citizens) and calls itself “international” could well be registered as something else (“experimental” is another option besides “cram school”. You can also be a good ol’ private school and call yourself “international”)