Kang Chiao school (康橋雙語實驗高中) in Xindian

For sure a lot of FETs are being dumped into CLIL and remote schools with no experience (like my aforementioned Fulbright comment, btw virtually none of the ETAs them have any teaching qualifications or interest in teaching, just an undergrad degree in something and a passion for getting a checked box for “living abroad” on their resume), but MOE still has some degree of standards. At minimum, it’s limited to native speakers of English. If they’re hiring people who aren’t native speakers then that’s just wrong, not to mention illegal/against MOE’s own contract. I know EU people who have been deported for teaching English in cram schools here despite native level English proficiency cuz they’re German, etc, but Mexicans with less than great English who have taught in public schools with no legal issues. As for hiring people with sub licenses…yeah not just that but also people who got their degrees from bible colleges and not accredited universities. I know quite a few of those. I don’t understand the logic. There are so many strict standards about who can be hired for public schools and what they need, yet, like much of everything else in Taiwan, it becomes pick and choose.

1 Like