Kang Chiao school (康橋雙語實驗高中) in Xindian

Outside of the odd eye-rolling complaint or two, I’ve never heard anything really negative about it.

1 Like

The fishiness about teachers offering really positive reviews about their school is if you’ve got a genuinely good gig you keep quiet about it. You might tell your mates, but you don’t announce it to the world.

4 Likes

Google has quite a few 1-star reviews from ex-students and angry Taiwanese parents - sort by “lowest rating”.

I thought we were talking about what it’s like teaching there. I’ve heard people talk about it, but can’t really remember anything beyond that it’s basically a good gig.

1 Like

Sorry you’re right, I’m getting my threads mixed up.

1 Like

Buttercup used to work there, I think. Can’t remember what she had to say about the place.

She worked in the kindergarten department and absolutely abhorred it.

the elementary, middle, and high school department are all run by different admin, I believe.

[Deleted by poster]

It’s a good school but if price is not an issue send them to TES instead. Just my opinion.

It’s extremely hard to get into TES. The kids who go through their primary section obviously get priority and then demand is really high at secondary.

My wife thinks we will get our daughter in when she’s 12. No chance. If someone pulls their kid out is the only possibility.

2 Likes

It’s very expensive, but has a very good record and as far as I know hasn’t been in the news for drugs and other scandals such as the other big international school here (Not Kanchiou , but not naming them ) :grinning:

There are drugs in every school.

Ibuprofen ?

1 Like

as a full or a half Taiwanese it is difficult. I believe if both parents are European TES takes them unconditionally?

Lots of ketamine.

I don’t know about that. There is a limit to class size in any school, so unconditional sounds unlikely to me.

1 Like

I’ve just put in a fresh first-time application, coming from EU …let’s see

That is not the case anymore.

Yep gotta work for ten years. Total bullshit and no longer an incentive for teachers with families to stay longer. I know we will be leaving KC after a few years, hopefully to a school that actually values its faculty.

As Taiwanese schools across the board don’t raise salaries/stipends to fit the current cost of living and cut benefits like free tuition, there will be no reason for highly qualified foreign teachers to stick around.

What they’ll end up are people who either are unqualified to work in their home country or have other forms or income / wealth who are willing to work for nothing. (ala Fulbright’s ETA program in Taiwan)

At the end of the day, the schools probably won’t care, because they’ve developed a reputation for having white faces and parents who have the money to send their kids there will continue to do so.

2 Likes